Anglia Coaches (Old style). where can i get one?

I know what you mean but maybe you could invoke Murphy's law?

Have a go at a respray & some will bound to become available.

One of my friends has found that building a kit loco makes it a racing cert that Bachmann or Hornby will release a model of it.

I think a re-release from Hornby will be unlikely given that they only ran on 1 line for a relatively short time. (2 if you count Manningtree-Harwich PQ).

Edited by Pete the Elaner

I think a re-release from Hornby will be unlikely given that they only ran on 1 line for a relatively short time. (2 if you count Manningtree-Harwich PQ).

Exactly.. I need the old models :-) its been long enough just waiting for the Bachmann DRS 20s and they still are NOT out yet..

I will look out for them at shows. I go to a few around London/SE & Midlands area, including Shenfield next week where I will be operating. It seems silly to look if you are likely to be there too.

Is there a price above which you would refuse them?

I don't think I have ever seen a Hornby TSO (7 window versions are SOs, which were converted from FOs - there were usually only 2 of these per rake, next to the DBSO, 1 of which was the "choker").

I will look out for them at shows. I go to a few around London/SE & Midlands area, including Shenfield next week where I will be operating. It seems silly to look if you are likely to be there too.

Is there a price above which you would refuse them?

I don't think I have ever seen a Hornby TSO (7 window versions are SOs, which were converted from FOs - there were usually only 2 of these per rake, next to the DBSO, 1 of which was the "choker").

I will not be at any shows unfortunately as have a trips away over the coming weeks.  

Please look out for them £25 is the Max really. I will obviously pay for them with postage if you can get any.. Thanks !!

Edited by 40034_Nick

You would only need to spray the blue (Phoenix call it green but I think it is more blue). The white stripe was available from someone as a transfer.

The exact colour if you match it is Belize Blue X109R217A (Tester pots £3) at B and Q. works well with abit of paint thinner.

I am not respraying at all.. Just covering the Anglia sign of the 1 i already own to match modern DRS/Pathfinder railtour rolling stock :-)

919580_orig.jpg

Edited by 40034_Nick
  • Like 1

I would have thought if you can get the Anglia transfer they would have been a fairly easy respray being apart from the white bands one colour all over.

The trick would be not to try and mix RTR ones with home painted ones but repaint the lot so that the finish matches across the whole rake.

The other advantage of doing this is you can get all the correct carriages for the train and not have to compromise on whats available in the Anglia colours.

I would have thought if you can get the Anglia transfer they would have been a fairly easy respray being apart from the white bands one colour all over.

The trick would be not to try and mix RTR ones with home painted ones but repaint the lot so that the finish matches across the whole rake.

The other advantage of doing this is you can get all the correct carriages for the train and not have to compromise on whats available in the Anglia colours.

I get where you are coming from but i only need 4-5 and find it easier just to remove the Anglia transfer..

Are you modelling the rake in that photo?

They are all TSOs. I have just dome some searching on the web & as I suspected, I cannot see any TSOs, only SOs & FOs.

Not exactly like that.. Ex virgin Mk2s, Anglia Mk2s some Mk1s and a 1x Pulmann at the back.. Sort of all thrown together as they do for tours....

I have bashers/cracks out of the windows of the Virgin stock x3 which will be at the front.. so far 25-30 people in each coach, lighting added and some seats painted LOL

Edited by 40034_Nick

All the ex-Anglia Mk2s in that photo have 8 windows.

Hornby's model is of the 7 window high density version, converted from SOs which were de-classified from FOs several years earlier.

What Hornby made did exist, but they were not as numerous as the 8 window variety with table seating throughout.

If it was my rake of coaches, the 7/8 window issue would bother me in the same way that I don't want a Mk3 Buffet with 3 seating windows on my WCML stock, because they all had 4.

Edited by Pete the Elaner

Last shop I saw them in they were £25 and the price only seems to go up from there.

Your other option if you don't want to try spraying them is Electra graphics. I created a couple of 8 Windows using them, if the de-branded ones are not on the list then drop him an email and see what he can do.

I used the precision paints Anglian green for a mk3 I did for a mate, matches the Hornby and Heljan colour lovely.

I painted the white lines.

Hope that helps, also to match I've found it needs to be finished in satin varnish.

Bob

post-22888-0-24659200-1505626864_thumb.jpg

post-22888-0-71983400-1505626917_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I looked for some of these at the Shenfield show but did not see any.

Always worth keeping your eyes open though. It is sometimes surprising what turns up at shows, even the smaller ones.

Agree, I stumbled over a few random 7 window Anglia coaches at various shows over the years to boost the fleet (up to about 3 full rakes now I think!)

I don't think Hornby ever did the 8 window version or the buffet & definitely not the DBSO.

I can understand not doing the DBSO because this required different tooling but they already have tooling for an 8-window TSO so why not use it? They have also relatively recently produced a buffet with 4 seating windows but I have only ever seen this in Blue/Grey. The TRUB/TRFB has a smaller seating area but these were less common, especially on Mk3A's.

I find it frustrating when manufacturers produce only half a rake when they have the tooling to do it properly.

I think Hornby didn't produce the 8 window version because at the time they only had the ex-Airfix 2d tooling whereas all the prototype Anglia liveried 8 window TSOs were 2e or 2f with diagonally positioned toilets (apart from one livery trial 2d that never ran in service?).

I think Hornby didn't produce the 8 window version because at the time they only had the ex-Airfix 2d tooling whereas all the prototype Anglia liveried 8 window TSOs were 2e or 2f with diagonally positioned toilets (apart from one livery trial 2d that never ran in service?).

That's a good point but all the Anglia 7 window TSOs were Mk2Fs which originally started out as FOs before being declassified to SOs with 2+1 seating then upon transfer from the WCML were re-fitted with high density aircraft seating.

So that would make these wrong too.

There were also Mk2Ds on this line back in InterCity days but most (or even all?) may well have gone before Anglia took over the franchise.