Modifying Hornby's GWR 101s

With my varied interests, I had an idea to use one of my three to make the prototype it was based on in EM gauge, and the other two for an O-16.5 Double Fairlie of sorts. Not sure when/if either will get done though, as my plans keep changing!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ftting a 101 smokebox to Smoky Joe really Westernises  Smoky Joe.   Fitting Grafar N gauge Black 5 motion might make the Hornby 101 look like vaguely like 101.

I have 2 X 101 s and that double Fairlie sounds better by the minute.  As for the chassis, I have turned the middle from some non see thru wheels and they are not too bad but the motor is useless for railways but handy for scalextric  and the rest of the plastic chassis probably belongs in the scrap box.

• 3 weeks later...

Having made a couple of branchlines chassis up for smokie joe's I have wondered if I could use this chassis as base for a inproved 101 chassis a few times,but I have not bothered or got serious enough about it to check the wheelbase yet, may be even if it's out it would look better than what's their at the moment

I wonder why branchlines haven't been tempted to do a 101 chassis there selfs like the pug as their must be nearly as many out their needing one

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...