Class 309 MBSK underframe equipment photos or drawings

• RMweb Premium

Hi All Clacton unit fans. I am a wee bit stuck, I am trying to work out what is what under a Class 309 Motor Brake Second. I have a reasonable drawing, from Lyn Brooks series on GER EMUs in the GER Journal that shows the compartment side of a MBSk, and I have loads of photos of the compartment side. I only have a few 3/4 view photos of the corridor side. I am after a side on photo or a drawing showing the equipment on the corridor side. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

The Driver Motor Brake Second Corridor of a 2 car unit has the same underframe.

All my own photos of AM9s show the compartment side, why didn't I check all those years ago I had both sides.

I can't even crib off the Britannia Pacific Models 309, he appears as lost as me to what goes on underneath. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Snap

post-16423-0-28842100-1509920119_thumb.jpg

I think the litter might be slightly different.

See what my problem was, every photo I have was of this side the compartment side, pre-reurbishment.

I say was, Mike Edge, Paul Wade (Lyddrail) and Andi Dell (Dagworth) have been really helpful.

Now to draw the bits, then make 3 sets.

• 4 weeks later...

SMRF08_Essex_panto.jpg

Would this be of any help?

EDIT: Check out the Class 309 (Clacton) Flickr page: https://www.flickr.com/groups/1683283@N22/pool/page1 - You'll find LOTS of interesting photos there, I even found one with a Wrap Around Yellow Cab!

I found this too: https://www.flickr.com/photos/108923052@N02/24842357446/in/pool-1683283@N22/

I even made a song about it: PERFECT FOR WHAT'S COMING SOON!

Dashing through the snow
In a clunky old Clacton!
On the rails we go,
Clunking all the way.
All the tracks are squealing,
Annoying everyone.
What fun it is to ride and sing,
A Clacton song tonight, O!

Jingle bells, jingle bells
Jingle all the way!
Oh what fun it is to ride
In a clunky old Clacton! 

Hope you like it!

Note: Not supposed to be historically accurate on ride quality of the Clactons, nor their service lifespans!

Edited by DoubleDeckInterurban

• RMweb Premium

SMRF08_Essex_panto.jpg

Would this be of any help?

EDIT: Check out the Class 309 (Clacton) Flickr page: https://www.flickr.com/groups/1683283@N22/pool/page1 - You'll find LOTS of interesting photos there, I even found one with a Wrap Around Yellow Cab!

I found this too: https://www.flickr.com/photos/108923052@N02/24842357446/in/pool-1683283@N22/

I even made a song about it: PERFECT FOR WHAT'S COMING SOON!

Dashing through the snow

In a clunky old Clacton!

On the rails we go,

Clunking all the way.

All the tracks are squealing,

Annoying everyone.

What fun it is to ride and sing,

A Clacton song tonight, O!

Jingle bells, jingle bells

Jingle all the way!

Oh what fun it is to ride

In a clunky old Clacton! 

Hope you like it!

Note: Not supposed to be historically accurate on ride quality of the Clactons, nor their service lifespans!

Hi DD

That's my mate Andi's Clacton, we were discussing them in depth at Warely the other day.

I hadn't come across the shot of teh one in the snow at Colchester. A 302 on the Clacton via St Botolph's service is a wee bit different.

Clive,

http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/BREMUDiagramsIssue.pdf 

Look at page 15 of this diagram shows the trussing, although it doesn't specifically show the equipment, it gives an idea of the base of where the equipment is stored. The video below may help too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3eGYFeW8G8

• RMweb Premium

Clive,

http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/BREMUDiagramsIssue.pdf 

Look at page 15 of this diagram shows the trussing, although it doesn't specifically show the equipment, it gives an idea of the base of where the equipment is stored. The video below may help too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3eGYFeW8G8

Hi DD

I supplied the diagrams for Barrowmore gang to use.

Thanks for the video link, they look so so wrong up north, they should be bombing along doing a ton as the zoom through Kelvedon and Marks Tey.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

May I ask for some advice please? It concerns the above diagram, and my attempts to make a 2mm 309 4-car unit. After a long while I have finally got around to trying to finish making this EMU set, and as I have been putting the non-driving motor brake together I have realised that the windows don't all match the diagrams.

Could anybody confirm that the windows either side of the door need enlarging to match the diagram/s I have - as with the above driving MBS, or were any produce with the windows as per the photo below. Don't wish to leave them if they are in-correct, but neither spend the time doing so if they are okay.

1280550103_RMweb01.jpg.6b13350ac976bb2017b63de0923e798e.jpg

many thanks,

Izzy

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Izzy said:

May I ask for some advice please? It concerns the above diagram, and my attempts to make a 2mm 309 4-car unit. After a long while I have finally got around to trying to finish making this EMU set, and as I have been putting the non-driving motor brake together I have realised that the windows don't all match the diagrams.

Could anybody confirm that the windows either side of the door need enlarging to match the diagram/s I have - as with the above driving MBS, or were any produce with the windows as per the photo below. Don't wish to leave them if they are in-correct, but neither spend the time doing so if they are okay.

1280550103_RMweb01.jpg.6b13350ac976bb2017b63de0923e798e.jpg

many thanks,

Izzy

Hi Izzy

They should be the 2 ft wide windows. The same as on the corridor side of a hauled Mk1 Composite.

P4.jpg.622e9f8c51a7f9f751c489582b334fbc.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looks better now thanks to Clive, but still not completely right because the window positions were wrong being too near the door. Some you can't win......

1045854463_RMweb02.jpg.9a195d0e081151bc9b39c100563720e2.jpg

forgive the crude soldering on the stretcher- it will get cleaned up, but strength is more important than looking pretty at this stage!

Izzy

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi John,

Worsley Works. N gauge as they are not available in 2mm. Several 4-car combinations are available, inc refurbished, as well as a 2-car set. But all the cabs are of the later separate window type rather than curved, so more bodging to get the originals!  I am mating them with Farish underframes/bogies from some pullmans - to get the commonwealth bogies mainly, and the power plant is a motor unit nicked from one of the Farish 2-power car parcels DMU's they made a short run of some while back. Shocked to discover I started on these back in 2014, must get a move on now.....

Izzy

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Izzy said:

Hi John,

Worsley Works. N gauge as they are not available in 2mm. Several 4-car combinations are available, inc refurbished, as well as a 2-car set. But all the cabs are of the later separate window type rather than curved, so more bodging to get the originals!  I am mating them with Farish underframes/bogies from some pullmans - to get the commonwealth bogies mainly, and the power plant is a motor unit nicked from one of the Farish 2-power car parcels DMU's they made a short run of some while back. Shocked to discover I started on these back in 2014, must get a move on now.....

Izzy

Really interesting Izzy! I started building a refurbished set from Worsley ages ago, but its still sat in a drawer half finished. I managed to get enough Commonwealth bogies from TPM when Bernard had them available, so I'd been building the Worsley etched under frames, and had also used the "guts" from a Farish parcels 101 DMU. 

Now I have a Photon 3D printer, I really should get around to making a start on the under frame detail - this thread is a good reminder!

Justin

• RMweb Premium

Ah, the race is on.......!!!  - and it's a marathon.......ahem....

I do think that perhaps using etched brass underframes might have been a better option, the farish are a bit 'flexible', the main strength being in the coach body mouldings, but I also got roofs so that's an offset, (just ditched the actual coach bodies and interiors). It's the normal two steps forward and one back at the moment, but with all other construction in the painting queue I am encouraged to push on now and get them done.

Izzy

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just thought I would post a couple of shots of my finished AM9. Many thanks to Clive for all the info he has posted on various threads. I doubt I would have been able to finish it without.

236057629_RMweb07.jpg.2a88fa672c342a2f423f3f6163f710ab.jpg

1902627724_RMweb08.jpg.08936b66f596d5b79d3341ad06a3ab75.jpg

Now it's down to studying all the info on GE area OHLE which I really need to fit. Once again it's thanks to Clive that I have an idea where to start. It may take a while......

Izzy

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

On 13/06/2019 at 17:17, Izzy said:

Just thought I would post a couple of shots of my finished AM9. Many thanks to Clive for all the info he has posted on various threads. I doubt I would have been able to finish it without.

236057629_RMweb07.jpg.2a88fa672c342a2f423f3f6163f710ab.jpg

1902627724_RMweb08.jpg.08936b66f596d5b79d3341ad06a3ab75.jpg

Now it's down to studying all the info on GE area OHLE which I really need to fit. Once again it's thanks to Clive that I have an idea where to start. It may take a while......

Izzy

Izzy, the class AM9 looks superb.  I hope to make one in P4 one day.  Check out my thread on GE OHLE: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blogs/entry/18102-the-only-way-is-romford-part-3/

Regards,

Gary

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, gazzaday said:

Izzy, the class AM9 looks superb.  I hope to make one in P4 one day.  Check out my thread on GE OHLE: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blogs/entry/18102-the-only-way-is-romford-part-3/

Regards,

Gary

Thanks. I have been following your thread, and like the bridge very much, really brings back the memories, especially driving into London along the old, original A12 in the 60's/70's as well as going on the 309's. I intend (hope?) to produce the Clacton/Walton 25Kv test bed line type OHLE as this is the area I have lived in for most of my life, and why I so wanted a AM9.

Izzy