Wicor Models, Porchester

HOTTODDY

A friend and I visited the shop today. After a good look round,seeing some good bargains that were on offer, my friend decided to buy a Hornby single chimney Castle. First of all the chap serving us tried to force it into the wrong box and then realising his error, found the correct one. In the process of putting the loco into its correct box, the chimney came off, which dropped onto the floor. After a cursory search, we were told that they didn't have time to continue as a Rep was due any time. I asked for their card, and said we were heading for a pub lunch, I would phone later to see if the chimney had been found. I did phone and got a very curt "no!"

Needless to say, neither my friend nor I will visit the shop again. I presume the man and the lady (his wife?) are the owners, who did not inspire any confidence at all. Certainly lacking in good manners and customer service. Everyone has a bad day from time to time, but I won't find out if that was a one off, as I will take my custom elsewhere.

Tod

• 2 months later...

A friend and I visited the shop today. After a good look round,seeing some good bargains that were on offer, my friend decided to buy a Hornby single chimney Castle. First of all the chap serving us tried to force it into the wrong box and then realising his error, found the correct one. In the process of putting the loco into its correct box, the chimney came off, which dropped onto the floor. After a cursory search, we were told that they didn't have time to continue as a Rep was due any time. I asked for their card, and said we were heading for a pub lunch, I would phone later to see if the chimney had been found. I did phone and got a very curt "no!"

Needless to say, neither my friend nor I will visit the shop again. I presume the man and the lady (his wife?) are the owners, who did not inspire any confidence at all. Certainly lacking in good manners and customer service. Everyone has a bad day from time to time, but I won't find out if that was a one off, as I will take my custom elsewhere.

Tod

I have just had this post pointed out to me and would like to take time to reply.  To begin with I'm very sorry if you felt our customer service was lacking.  I spend a lot of time with my staff working on ways to constantly improve our customer service as it is the face to face contact that gives the "bricks & mortar" shop the edge over internet stores.  Had I have seen this post earlier I would have been able to look at the CCTV tapes and see what went wrong and how we can improve to give even better service.  With regards to the incident the loco was placed, not forced, into the wrong box but upon realising my mistake I then located the correct box.  As I was putting the loco into the correct box I knocked the chimney off which disappeared under the counter.  As I have dropped coins and other items I know if I can't see them on the floor they can easily get lost amongst the items we have stacked beneath the counter which, as it proved, took two of us well over an hour to eventually locate the missing chimney, which we managed to do later in the day after the visit of 2 reps and many pre-Christmas customers.  once located I decided that I couldn't sell it as it was a damaged model I would use it for spares and put it in my scrap box.  I recall you trying to come behind the counter to look for yourself which is a definite no in any shop.  I doubt you got a cursory no but the answer when you phoned was no and however you dress no up it is still no.  I was made aware of your disappointment at not being able to buy this model and you will, no doubt, appreciate my disappointment at not being able to sell it to you.  I also remember you having a problem with the fact that I don't have a test track in the shop, your assertion that every other model shop has one and your suggestion of how it could run across the counter.  I am sorry that you feel unable to visit the shop again despite our attempts to help you make a purchase and your disappointment at not getting the model you wanted.

Dave

I can't comment on this incident but I have made many orders with Wicor models online and the items have always arrived well packed and in pristine condition. They are always friendly over the phone too. Although I have never physically been to the shop I would certainly recommend Wicor to anyone as they often have some great offers and hard to find items.

• 2 years later...

Placed my first order with this shop a few days ago and well impressed with the service. I had located an item from their Hornby back catalogue and having been let down elsewhere already for this item, I did not hold out too much hope. Instead, the item arrived well packed and arrived was delivered two days after dispatch. One happy customer.

• Like 1