Can I have some help please?

MrDobilina

• RMweb Gold

I agree with a substitution of the 'Y' for a short radius right. This would straighten everything out. Small engine thread top right with coal stage on the inside.

A platform to the rear would work. Don't get hung up on having the station building in line with the platform. It could go at right angles to the main platform on the far left. However this would reduce the loop area. The alternative is a low relief building but personally I struggle with them visually.

The plan lends itself to a small yard layout as per your original idea.

To increase the illusion of space, keep buildings small and low. Avoid big structures as they will dominate the layout.

I think this lates plan from Phil is doable.

Rob.

I’m seeing something like the sketch at the bottom.

The station building could be no more than a modest hut, like the kit that came free with RM last month.

Google Fockerby station for an example of a very basic terminus.

post-26817-0-48154500-1513419991_thumb.jpg

post-26817-0-49809700-1513427992_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 4

Good point! Just trying to keep it simple but then as you say it needs to be fun and interesting too! Hard to juggle these all around.

Another lovely little layout. Shame I can't spot a track plan for it, a couple shots there make it look quite confusing.

Is that on Kingsborough?

Update made and another option here!

the low relief might need to be ignored as I think it will be too small an area for it.

ps. ive actually thought about correct left side running of trains this time! can't believe I forgot that on the last one!

attachicon.gif15.jpg

Nice plan, adding a couple of buildings does make things more interesting. It can be a challenge of simplicity and interesting features. Some just go for one or the other.... I find it just takes a bit of planning to get what you want out of your layout. There are comprises too that you need to find your way around. I initially wanted my layout to be in a rural semi-industrial area, although with further planning, it evolved into something like a terminus set in an industrial city. I came up with this just yesterday.

• RMweb Gold

The station building could be no more than a modest hut, like the kit that came free with RM last month.

Love the name.....you couldn't write it.....oh!actually, you can!

Rob

Here's the same topology but this time using your existing points and a bit more organic:

attachicon.gifMrBob2.png

Ideally you would replace the Y with a small right to avoid the kink into the loco spur.

A small loco like a Jinty should be able to run around without leaving the board.

You could imagine a milk or parcels depot in the top left, perhaps.

No problems with the kickback spur because it's just for coaling and watering locos.

The space at the front of the board inside the natural arc of the lines would be perfect for a bit of scenic detail.

(I'm using a normal drawing program and template symbols of the Peco Streamline points.)

I’d love to know more about that, I use gimp 2 and similar for a bit of drawing fun now and again. If I could give your plan more thumbs up I would! An ingenious idea that uses the points I have to their most!

I have attached an anyrail mock up with rtr buildings and other bits that I’ll describe after my responses. Thank you so much for your hard work!

Great little station. Some interesting shots and even a diesel running on it. I’m not too keen on he seriously low platform. I had hoped to run mk1 coaches but I think theyd be too high surely?

Ok onto the plan from harlequin. Harlequin planksville? Harlequin fockerby? Little fockerton? (Hahaha) Harlequin planktown? A name will come in time I’m sure!

Anyway onto the plan. The viewing angle is from top edge is the looking towards the bottom edge. The platform being at the front of the layout and the good yard at the back. I felt this meant Way round might work well as the small platform won’t intrude on viewing the layout very much and the industrial/rural backdrop would make sense.

The platform along the top is 25mm deep. Which I think is 6 scale foot? The water and coal stage in top right are acrystely sized kits. Placement might be off. Tried to put the water where either a small loco or a larger one could refuel at. Tbh I don’t know much about this as I’m still new to railways!

The big pink line would be a fence for the goods yard including a gate for the entrance by rail. The other side of the entrance can still be used as a small siding if needed until the gate is opened - imagining that rather than a working gate.

The road crossing is a halt and check for trains crossing - not gated but the green oblong is a gate to an industrial area that would be part of the back scene.

The goods shed has been extended with a small platform - optional - to provide some unloading interest.

The rusty coloured blocks are low reliefs buildings I’d have to make. I’m trying to hide the exit to the cassette by using the buildings as cover. Not sure if this would work but Chris Nevard makes great use of it here:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-uep1QTF3jhU/WQbZEAHyl8I/AAAAAAAAc3Q/I5udUTetgtw3TXGIehp0vK7VT95OkxWBgCHM/IMG_6188_full.jpg?imgmax=9999

Not wanting to over complicate things but something I’ve considered recently is reducing the scenic area and extrending the back of the layout to allow a sector plate and a single road fiddle yard.

I’ve added a plan of this taken from rmweb that’s ok but not perfect - thoughts concerns and ideas again are more than welcome.

I apologise if I seem like I’m over planning things, I just like to have a clear idea of what to do in my head before getting on with it - and my creativity circuits need a good oiling haha

post-33226-0-76490000-1513466752_thumb.jpeg

post-33226-0-68667600-1513466767.jpeg

Edited by MrDobilina
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Your plan looks good, I like the extended platform in the goods yard (but make sure there's enough space for vehicles to access it between the goods shed and pink fence!).  I'm not sure reducing the width to fit in a fiddle yard road would be a good idea, you'd end up squashing the plan up too much.

• RMweb Gold

Stick with plan A.

However two coaches might be pushing it due to the clearance required when loco would run around.

I wouldn't have a fence separating the goids yard. It will take up space and not sure if I can recall such an arragement. Besides it could look cluttered with it there.

Otherwise it looks fine.

Go on, get the track out......you won't know the clearances 'til you do.....

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Hi "MrDobilina",

I'm glad you liked my doodles. There's more info in this thread: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/66-layout-track-design/

Your AnyRail version looks very good to me. I love the track emerging from between buildings and the ungated crossing - that's exactly what I imagined. If you positioned a building in front of the tracks on the other side of the road (er, but see below about viewing angle) then you'd get little vignette where trains appear to cross a street - but it might block the view of the layout too much.

I think there is room to runaround two Mk1 coaches but the overhangs on the curves might be a problem. The coach overhangs might also be a problem where the track curves into the platform. You can either simulate that on the drawing to test it or mock it up as Rob suggests. On the other hand, a simpler solution might be to ban long vehicles from the site because this feels very much like a small town goods yard...

You might be able to play visual tricks with foreshortening and perspective to make the layout look bigger. For example make the road taper very slightly towards the back.

It might be better to to view the model from the bottom of the drawings, not the top.

That would mean the track that goes off-board is angled more towards the viewer/operator, which means.

1. It's easier to handle the cassettes.
  2. It would allow the layout to be placed against a wall - you really don't want to be building curved cassettes!.

Further, the ground level of the scenic area could fall away towards the viewer slightly for more realism and to "stage" the layout better. Doesn't need to be much.

If you particularly need the cassettes to be on the left of the layout then it's easy to flip the whole design left-right to do that.

You could save space by combining the goods platform with the other service platform (whatever you decide that service is). That would need some adjustments to the track layout. I'll try to draw it.

As we both showed it, the goods building will dominate the model. To overcome that, and play some clever visual tricks at the same time, you could make it semi-low-relief against the side the layout - cut the kit in half! That would open up the centre of the scene, help obscure the back corner of the layout from the viewer and make the layout look bigger by suggesting the track continues off-stage into the building. (Later on, you could make another cassette connection hidden inside the goods shed...!)

Edited by Harlequin

• RMweb Gold

Totally agree.

Do away with the passenger side of things. A low releif goods shed will provide an effective 'backscene', especially if the layout is displayed at height with a narrow view offered of the scenic section.

Why not look in on the Cameo comp thread for further ideas?

Rob.

Something you might want to consider is what inspires you.

I’m suggesting very minimalist Light Railway type things, others are suggesting urban industry, and there are plenty of other possibilities, but only you know what moves you.

Are you into a particular era, or a particular type of rolling stock?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Here's a version adjusted so that the goods platform is shared between two lines:

post-32492-0-42773700-1513506202_thumb.png

(Click to enlarge)

Ironically, this has the effect of straightening everything out and making it more like a passenger terminus and little bit less interesting! Funny how designs can get away from you.

Anyway, there may be some useful ideas in it...

(BTW: This design uses 3 small lefts, 1 small Y, 1 three-way.)

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 2

Something you might want to consider is what inspires you.

I’m suggesting very minimalist Light Railway type things, others are suggesting urban industry, and there are plenty of other possibilities, but only you know what moves you.

Are you into a particular era, or a particular type of rolling stock?

Well I do enjoy seeing longer takes of coal wagons or other open topped wagons trundling along. But I also like a little passenger interest.

The reason that in past concepts I’ve had a mini carriage siding as I often find a platform somewhat boring. Sidings can be used for many different things not just coaches, wagons are an option as is just stabling a couple larger locos.

I am being given a Jinty for Christmas as well as the track, it’s a late emblem Jinty in br black. My n gauge layout is mostly gwr but I fancy doing something slightly different with this.

I like the concept of end of line of an old and nearly disused line. The grass and weeds starting to reclaim the railway. This is one reason I like Chris Nevards work so much. I like the decay and operation of many of his layouts. Fountain colliery was the initial inspiration for doing this layout with the extended brew street bringing in more ideas.

I like that it has shunting potential as well as a through option to a second cassette or as he does - linking both fountain colliery and brew street together to make a longer layout.

Whilst they aren’t necessarily 100% prototypical they are fun and interesting to look at with some amazing details.

Here's a version adjusted so that the goods platform is shared between two lines:

attachicon.gifMrBob3.png

(Click to enlarge)

Ironically, this has the effect of straightening everything out and making it more like a passenger terminus and little bit less interesting! Funny how designs can get away from you.

Wow you really are good! I don’t mind overly straight lines as they tend to be straight to ease the removal of goods and the inspection of the wagons surely?

EDIT

Just a quick addendum, I’m enjoying this simple yet effective method of point control and frog powering

https://youtu.be/vidkCRwQB-E

Edited by MrDobilina
  • Like 2

Hey guys you must be getting sick of me!

Had a play around this afternoon and came up with the attached. I think it’s quite a nice balance.

There’s a station with just enough room for 3 carriages,

The goods yard has an end loading point and empties road and an unloading road.

There’s a run around which can be used as goods in before the rake is broken down to its individual areas.

The pink lines are the 9mm ply for the sides and centre reinforcement. The black lines are for manual point control roding underneathe the boards.

Pink circles are magnets to unhook wagons and coaches.

As always let me know your thoughts! Once I get my track on Monday I’ll set you know my final plans and somehow get this into a construction thread :)

post-33226-0-27566900-1514051171_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

Looks very interesting, especially as 3 of the 4 turnouts are Y's which give larger radii in a smaller space than straight ones. may not be what the OP requires but may fit the bill for a small collection of P4 tank locos I have.  Thanks

Hi guys Andy w has kindly revealed this topic! Not sure what I did but apparently I hid it.

I have received my track and bits and have put together the attached.

It’s not wired yet but it’s getting here. I’ve marked out the track so I can put cork under it.

post-33226-0-15421800-1514579106_thumb.jpeg

post-33226-0-27922900-1514579086_thumb.jpeg

It’s based on fountain colliery by Chris Nevard but extended back half a foot and to the side by a foot.

I’ve added a sector plate and put a 10 inch base to it. This means it can be put on a table inside and played with and it has room underneath for storage of bits.

• Like 2

Hey guys,

things are progressing quite well with this layout, however the sector plate bit that moves keeps sticking up at one end. (As you can see in the previous post).

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can keep that held down at all?

• RMweb Gold

I guess you need to brace it by fixing a couple of plywood "walls" either side of the track, if there's room, so that it's U shaped in section. The walls probably don't have to be very tall to perform the stiffening job and don't have to be equal height.

• RMweb Premium

I guess you need to brace it by fixing a couple of plywood "walls" either side of the track, if there's room, so that it's U shaped in section. The walls probably don't have to be very tall to perform the stiffening job and don't have to be equal height.

Or of it's too narrow, one wall might suffice and also serve to stop anything being knocked off the edge as well.

• RMweb Gold

Hey guys,

things are progressing quite well with this layout, however the sector plate bit that moves keeps sticking up at one end. (As you can see in the previous post).

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can keep that held down at all?

The "tried and tested" way for sector plates and traversers is to fit "bolts" - some people make their own in various ways others buy brass ones from a hardware store - you need one bolt but several "keepers" (one for each line you wish to align to).  The approach was also used as a way to provide power to the sector plate/traverser, not essential for a sector plate as you can apply power at the rotating point.

• 9 months later...

Hi guys,

Just a quick update here. i have had a rough year to tell the truth, separated from the wife and am now living alone in a much smaller house. They layout is safe though, if a bit damaged. I have a cellar (has an airbrick though so I'm worried for winter) and the layout is stored down there for now.

I'm going to come back to it in the next month or so once I'm properly settled down. I figured out the copper tape is not providing enough consistent connection (likely my laying of it) so I will be adding feeder wires throughout.

A few pieces of track have come away and I think one of the points might have taken a knock so I'll have to have a look into that. 

Hope you're all doing well!

• 3 weeks later...

attachicon.gifMrBob3.png

(Click to enlarge)

Hey guys so it's update time I feel. 

As the track and one point were damaged during the move by less than careful removal men, I have stripped the track off the board and am going to replace the board tonight. I've moved away from the original plan back to Harlequins great design with one change. I've flipped the plan and swapped the point on the bottom edge with a curved point. I think this allows for a nice natural curve to the track with plenty of shunting possibilities and even a route through the area that I can play around with.

I'm wanting to try to mix passenger and freight, as well as country and industrial and feel this is a great way to do this - it might not be real world accurate but I think it should be fun.

The orange on the left are houses - low relief, the purple is a signal box, the red a platform crane - to allow loading of local goods that can be directly accessed by the road there, and the yellow are platforms. The cyan around the edge is the backscene that wraps around to the front to hopefully hide the edges a little better. 

When I look at this however, I am debating if I should move the crane to the right hand top platform, and leave that left hand siding for coal/water as harelquin originally suggested. Too many platforms might be a bit much.

I think the road on the left should be quite a nice little country road - single track, and between the houses and the bushes/trees along side it would provide a nice little tunnel to look through. similarly looking from the run around look back towards the signal box should be a nice little framed view.

I have no idea if this will all work or if I'll be capable of completing it with any degree of skill - I'm hoping you guys will help point out potential issues and i'll search the forums for specific things.

I'm going to try and follow chris nevards directions for the sidings with the nearer one being a little over run with weeds as it's near the grass/hillside/trees at the front.

Oh and some details about era etc:

End of steam - Jinty/3mt/green early 08 are my current stock of locos

Area - somewhere in the midlands, not a particularly well used line, supports local business and a small number of passengers - I haven't figured a work around for how the passengers would get from the plat form to the road - perhaps there is a walk through along the nearside edge, with them leaving the platform just off scene to the right.

I do wish I had more space to play around with this, but it's the exact size of my desk and is easily brought up from and down to the cellar.

Thoughts, comments, concerns let me know!

post-33226-0-13793400-1540479208_thumb.png

Edited by MrDobilina
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...