Currently nameless long term N gauge project

lesmond

Readers of a certain vintage may well remember the Airfix published "Model Trains" magazine. The first issue was published in January 1980, and it was a breath of fresh air to the then young Les. I was fiddling about with trainset OO at the time, copying layout idea from the Hornby "Track Plans" book, and generally having a good time.

The content of Model Trains introduced O & N scales, American & European prototypes and models, and most importantly to my subsequent modelling, the wonders of narrow gauge.. that's a different tale, though.

One of the articles was called "Build It in N Scale", which followed the build of an N scale American layout, with continuous running, a goods yard, scenic divide and two stations all in 3' x 2'. Mention was made that the whole thing could be easily moved to Germany or Scotland with suitable changes of buildings. So, I decided to build a version of it.

A lot of time passed, education, work, marriage etc all came along, as did odds and ends of N gauge stock, kits, track and the odd locomotive. Old copies of Model Trains were pulled out now and then and studied, with the one day... always in mind.

The original plan was designed to be an upgrade from an N gauge train set, in a sort of logical progression to a layout proper (I've a scan of the original track plan somewhere) so its basically an oval disguised with a big mountain in the middle and some extra sidings. My variant will be something similar, with manual point operation, DC locomotive control, and nothing terribly complicated.

A few years ago I reckoned I'd enough bits and some spare time to make a start (it had only been about 30 years or so), and decided to move the whole thing to somewhere on a line drawn between Carlisle and Newcastle, and have a single track branch line to a medium sized town with fairly frequent passenger traffic and either a gravel pit or small quarry as well as other rail served industry to provide goods traffic. The time period would be mid 1950s, but very flexible per Rule 1, with the option to switch to blue diesels for variety.

However when I laid track out on a 3x2' piece of ply there really wasn't sufficient length to hold a three coach / locomotive train at the main platform, so I decided to extend to 4 feet long. Based on this, I made a baseboard from ply:

27577590269_5392d21099_c.jpg2017-12-28 13.03.27 by lesmond2009, on Flickr

This turned out to be a bit light, and prone to flexing, so after a suitable period of relection (5 years or so, with other projects in between) I've decided to get this one done. The baseboard has been reinforced with an extra edging of ply:

39324772472_94cf88c2f6_c.jpg2017-12-28 13.02.56 by lesmond2009, on Flickr

which has helped things no end. There has also been (just today :) ) a 1" thick layer of extruded polystyrene foam (Kingspan type, from a skip, with the silver taken off both sides) glued down to make the ground level.

The track plan roughly (so far, and subject to a few changes, some already thought of) looks like this:

35487973132_bea7ffb7dc_c.jpgDSCF1759 by lesmond2009, on Flickr

Trains arrive from the fiddle track at the bottom front left, and travel round the curve to the station on the right hand side. This will have two though roads and a bay for local (there's an assumed off stage branch) passenger trains and parcels traffic. Goods trains will pass through the station, round the other curve and enter the goods yard. This picture:

39384001912_260a502b9e_c.jpg35487973132_04ba60c6ba_k (1)a by lesmond2009, on Flickr

gives a bit of an idea of it, but its very provisional for now. The idea is to be able to shunt the goods yard while watching a passenger train go by, in best train set tradition.

Apologies for a long post, and progress may well be slow (I've a Gn15 micro layout due at an exhibition in April) but all being well now that I've written something down there will be progress.  

Les

Yellow foam added - 1" thick, from a convenient skip a year or so ago. All expense spared.

25557424838_fc215f37b9_c.jpg2018-01-01 11.05.31 by lesmond2009, on Flickr

Next to add the remaining electrical connectors (2x 4 pin XLR socket for the controllers, and a 25 way D for the yard control panel). 

Then to finalise the track layout and start soldering droppers. I like to power every section of track and not rely on rail joiners for power transfer. 

Les

The 'Warren Branch' as that Model Trains layout was called is one of my all-time favourite layouts. It was the articles about how to operate it that were the real eye-openers, showing how although it was a simple plan, it had loads of operating potential.

I did eventually start my own version of it a few years ago, even using Fleischmann Piccolo track, for my lad, but he has lost interest in trains, & N is too small for me these days, so it never got beyond bare boards.

Will follow this with interest.

• Like 1

These people who can build baseboards.  I'm jealous...

Nowt wrong with trainset tradition.  Fine relaxing part of the hobby.

If it helps I've used the rail joiners on Croft Spa as the sites for the droppers.  Gaugemaster and Peco both do rail joiners with wires ready soldered to them. Both makes fit tightly and are a lot easier than trying to solder to rail sides (and in my case clean off stray solder from rail tops....)

Les

(another one...)

• Like 1

F-Unit - same with me, the articles opened my eyes to railways having a purpose rather than just running up and down tracks (I was only 12 :) ). N is a bit small for me too these days - I usually model narrow gauge G - but I've always fancied a go at this one.

Les - just be thankful you can't see it close up... Having studied the track I'm going to go with soldering to the rail joiners. Thanks for the tip :).

Minor progress. I've dug out the box of points, and made a further few modifications to the plan. The goods end will (for now) look like this:

39440002602_58f1bea955_c.jpg2018-01-03 12.41.46 by lesmond2009, on Flickr

From the bottom edge up:

Fiddle track joining on to curved point at top L (no track shown but the thought is there).

Main running line.

Goods loop off the main running line accessed from the goods yard via a headshunt leading off to the right.

Three road goods yard.

Introducing the goods loop removes main line shunting, and means a passenger train service can run seperately to goods operations.

If I were starting this again I'd set it in the US and save a lot of bother :)

Les

Edited by lesmond

• 4 months later...

My last statement has proved to be rather prophetic..

After digressions into my "main" scale - Gn15 - and the completion and exhibition of a new micro layout, I'm back for a look at this one.

I can't find a track plan to suit me in its UK incarnation and more importantly work in the size available, so after looking through the small amount of US outline N stock I have and spurred on by a friend looking to move his US N stock on, I'm going to build this more or less as it appeared in the original articles, albeit a foot longer.

I'll do something a bit bigger at an undetermined time with the UK N bits. There are too many other projects under way at present to look too hard at another one tbh.

I'm a lot happier with this now that the decision has been made, and will lay out the track and mark out the dropper holes over the weekend.

Les

• Like 1

I've spent some time re-reading the original "Build It In N Scale" articles from 1980, and am glad to find that a couple of the structures (Bachmann coaling stage & Faller oil tanks) are still available. I may have to be creative with some of the other bits, and Ebay will be getting a thorough scour.

As a plus I've found two curved points (needed in the original plan) which saves a fair few quid buying them in.

Les

A few developments overnight and this morning.

The more depraved readers of this forum may well be aware of a Canadian TV programme called the "Trailer Park Boys". If you haven't, and are in any way easily upset, don't look it up. The show is set in a Canadian trailer park called "Sunnyvale", and has been amusing me greatly for years. The mrs hates it.

I was on an internet hunt last night for suitable structures for this project, and as mentioned have found two, plus another I can adapt. All good so far.

A trip to the Bachmann US "Plasticville" page (this wee layout is a lot of things, but will never be a scale model - think Les at 12 with eyes like saucers having just seen a whole new world and you'll get the idea) uncovered this lovely wee station:

42031973732_2ec117ae02_z.jpg45908 by lesmond2009, on Flickr

which is when the giggling started.. 

So, the whole thing has shifted somewhat north just into the Canadian side of the Canada / US border, and will now be known as "Sunnyvale". The freight branch will be "Sunnyvale North" (north Warren in the original), and the small halt will become "Warren" in tribute to the original.

Very pleased with this, to say the least. 

Looking at a map of US Railway companies gives this:

28204508798_6ba610c737_z.jpgrail by lesmond2009, on Flickr

so by being just over the border I can justify a few (mainly 'cos I have them) US freight cars as visitors. I've also now a focus for future locomotive (I need one, maybe two), coach (again, two max.) and rolling stock purchases.

One of todays jobs is to clear the auxiliary workbench dining room table (currently home to two Gn15 micro layouts) and start to set out some track :)

Les

This:

42041658262_75034bfef4_z.jpgimg001 by lesmond2009, on Flickr

is the original track plan from 1980.

The numbers were explained carefully in the original text, and the plan can be best explained by cutting the track at the point marked "x" and straigthening it out. This gives a passenger and goods line starting at "A", with Sunnyvale station and freight depot at 9 & 8 (although 8 may become a warehouse with freight at 7. Industries at 2,3,5 & 5 are at "North Sunnyvale" on a freight only branch. 

Wth the actual layout being a distorted oval, its possible to watch the trains go by as well as have operational workings. Whoever designed this was clever :) .

My variant is 4' x 2', instead of the orignal 3' x 2', and with some track laid roughly on and a lot of imagination looks like this:

42086347211_8a442ce779_z.jpgP5130003 by lesmond2009, on Flickr

The curves and major track runs will be flexitrack, instead of the (I think) Fleischmann setrrack of the original. 

Next to mark it all out properly and drill holes for the power droppers.

Les