• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 009 micro modeller

009 micro modeller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 19:50

Very nice! Its a great touch for an 009 layout.

Yes, loose loading gravel and sand is usually something you see in the larger scales. After getting the stones caught in the points and couplings I think I know why. But it works well enough.

#27 009 micro modeller

009 micro modeller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 14:56

This is the rather nifty tool I made to load the gravel. The hole in the backscene is slightly too small to just tip it in. The red bit is one side of a chimney from a Wills platelayers hut (I think) and the rest is styrene strip.WP_20180414_15_48_35_Pro.jpg

#28 luke the train spotter

luke the train spotter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 18:41

This is the rather nifty tool I made to load the gravel. The hole in the backscene is slightly too small to just tip it in. The red bit is one side of a chimney from a Wills platelayers hut (I think) and the rest is styrene strip. WP_20180414_15_48_35_Pro.jpg

Looks good. I've made a working coaling tower in oo gauge and I find that it sometimes gets blocked up but then the coal is much bigger than the sand or fine gravel being pit through your loader. Its a simple and effective extra for opperation and I find that it makes me feel like I'm operating a more realistic railway than one that just pretends to load wagons.

#29 009 micro modeller

009 micro modeller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 20:01

My loader does sometimes get clogged up - might try finer gravel or sand, although this is more likely to corrode motors etc than the relatively coarse gravel currently used. There is something quite satisfying about going in with empty wagons and coming out with a full train that has been loaded properly, unlike layouts that have full wagons going on or empties coming off and just imagine they are being loaded. This is actually based on my first ever layout, which did not have a proper loader but was based on a similar concept and track plan.

#30 Removed a/c_ShildonShunter

Removed a/c_ShildonShunter

• Guests

Posted 15 April 2018 - 20:31

I think it looks great when you can see your wagons being loaded up its just a matter of using and finding the right size gravel as Luke and yourself have been experiencing blockage problem but all sounds fun.:)

#31 Removed a/c_Bishoptrains

Removed a/c_Bishoptrains

• Guests

Posted 18 April 2018 - 20:19

Fantastic idea for a CBC I really like what you have modelled the scenery, wagons and loco are nicely done..

#32 Andrew Cockburn

Andrew Cockburn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 20:31

Nice work, enhanced by the working gravel chute!

#33 HonestTom

HonestTom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 22:15

I like this layout, it's very evocative. The attention to detail is great, which I think is very important on a micro. The working hopper is a particularly nice touch for increasing operational interest.

#34 009 micro modeller

009 micro modeller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 22:24

Fantastic idea for a CBC I really like what you have modelled the scenery, wagons and loco are nicely done..

Actually the stock is RTR, I haven't photographed my kitbashed locos on the layout yet. The ones on Kato chassis are quite nice but a bit long for this layout.