If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Hello from a beginner in O gauge

GWR57xx

• RMweb Gold

Hello Everyone,
I've been lurking on RMWeb for a while and been amazed at the quality of modelling, craftsmanship, innovation and assistance displayed on here! What a fantastic resource this site is thanks to all of you who give so freely of your knowledge and experience.

I am a devotee of all things GWR, especially branch lines, prairies, 48xx's, panniers and smaller tender engines.

I have previously built (still not completed!) an N gauge GWR BLT based on Helston but sadly my interest started to wane after (a) I failed to obtain a couple of Dapol 45xx's or a Peco 2251 when they were briefly available, (b) the advent of DCC and sound (not easy in small N gauge tanks) and © my eyesight not being what it once was and N gauge being so small.

A recent house extension has given me a bit of space in the garage for a new layout, and with the recent flurry of GWR-related announcements in RTR O gauge I couldn't resist the urge to dive in (got to get them while they're available, 'cos when they're gone they're gone).

The layout is still very much in the planning stage (using AnyRail, thanks to RMWeb), and will be a very slow project as work and life get in the way too much, but retirement is looming so I hope it will give me many years of enjoyment to come.

All the best,
Peter

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Peter

I have done the same as yourself and have been retired since 2013. I started with O Gauge GWR RTR way back in 2008 and it gives me many hours of pleasure.

Here is a taster to get you going................

Regards

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi John and Jeff,
Thanks very much for the replies and the video clip.

John, I had a look at your blog entries - that's some really lovely work on the signal box, station, track and stock for Churchill Halt.

My scenic section will be roughly the same size as yours at 13' with a 4'6" cassette fiddle yard at one end, and Great Western, but that's about as far as the comparison goes. I don't have the modelling skills to make anything as good as your layout.

For my effort I am aiming at something a lot less ambitious and much lower down the creative scale - it will be Peco track with as much RTR as possible, at least initially.

This will be my first foray into 7mm and DCC and sound, so I expect to have a lot to learn but that is all part of the enjoyment.

Peter

Hi Peter, I switched to 7mm just over a year ago after nearly 30 years doing 4mm.  It's been quite an interesting time.  Like you I am focussing on RTR locos and keeping my eyes open for RTR wagons, of which I have quite few.  With the exception of their PO wagons, Dapols RTR offereings are excellent IMO.  There are (or were) some Lionheart PO wagons on offer at Tower models.  I've also had a lot of fun building Parkside and Slaters kits.  I've even done a couple of etched brass wagons.  I just finished putting the details on a friends 8750 Pannier from Minerva - what a belter!  Now waiting for a decision on number.

It's astonishing how much stock I've accumulated in just one year.

John

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for your kind comments Peter.

we all come into the Great Hall of O gauge  through different doors but  we all sit at the same table.

just make sure you enjoy what your doing .

And ask for advice if you need it...... plus post some pics of what your up to...

Regards

John

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the "Welcomes" :)

Hi Peter, I switched to 7mm just over a year ago after nearly 30 years doing 4mm.  It's been quite an interesting time.  Like you I am focussing on RTR locos and keeping my eyes open for RTR wagons, of which I have quite few.  With the exception of their PO wagons, Dapols RTR offereings are excellent IMO.  There are (or were) some Lionheart PO wagons on offer at Tower models.  I've also had a lot of fun building Parkside and Slaters kits.  I've even done a couple of etched brass wagons.  I just finished putting the details on a friends 8750 Pannier from Minerva - what a belter!  Now waiting for a decision on number.

It's astonishing how much stock I've accumulated in just one year.

John

Hi John,

Totally agree about the Minerva 8750 - I have one of the "Great western" lettered ones, plus a couple of Minerva's lovely Iron Minks.

Choice of numbers for the loco in this livery were limited - my (admittedly very brief) research showed that only 8750-8798 would have been lettered "Great western", then 8799 and subsequent lots would have carried either the Shirtbutton logo or "G W R" letters. The very last ones were built in BR days.

Out of this group (8750-8798) most were allocated to London sheds, except 8758 (Oxford) and 8795 (Bath).
So I chose 8758, and am very impressed with the Narrow Planet plates (which have yet to be fitted).

The first time I started thinking that I might want an O gauge layout was at Railex 2016 in Aylesbury when I saw Lionheart's 64xx Pannier & Autocoach and 4575 Prairie & B-set for sale, and was stunned by their quality. Unfortunately I missed out and the locos are sold out, but I have managed to obtain a B-set and Autocoach under the Dapol label (the B-set still comes in the Lionheart box). Now waiting for Dapol to release their versions of these locos.

Peter