Diggle Junction

Chrisoafc

• RMweb Premium

Noticing boats on the canal; that was closed (by the LMS) in 1944, and fell into general disrepair during the next 25 years. The lock chambers were all capped in the early 70s. There is an account in Narrow Boat, by L.T.C. Rolt, of his trip through the canal tunnel in 1944; he remarks that they had just passed through one of the locks on the Colne Valley side when one of the gates collapsed with a bang behind them.

The passage that Rolt (amongst others) took though the canal was in the summer of 1948.  I didn't think that Narrow Boat would have covered it as an earlier period (1939).

Adrian

Found the N gauge model of Marsden on here, good model and what a wonderful Pennine backdrop, I hope I can recreate something similar.

While I'm here, has anyone else used the WOODLAND SCENICS track painter pens as I have had to give some of my sleepers (not all strangely), a second coat and just wondering if this is normal? They look great which is all that matters I suppose but was a bit concerned that some of the paint seemed to just vanish!

Two photos here, one of the real Diggle and my layout. Today, I've added more detail to the canal section, some much needed improvements on the canal towpath have been done too. I have also added clouds to the far backscene, a bridge support and some extra lineside fencing. I am awaiting a parcel of lineside accessories such as drain covers etc which should enhance the rather boring look it has.

post-32744-0-45814600-1517865948_thumb.jpg

post-32744-0-34869000-1517865974_thumb.png

• Like 1

Good Evening!

I received a few bits and bobs today courtesy of the Royal Mail, a bike shelter, drainage grids and some bushes!

How exciting!

So I'm currently assembling my bike shelter for platform 1 and that is very fiddly but should look good once in situ... I've painted and assembled the drainage covers which are now in place between tracks and on the road and all they want is a little coat of "rust"...

I decided I needed more foliage in the form of bushes along the bankings and around the platforms because looking at old photos, poor Diggle was overgrown in its last years.

Attached a few photos for all to see, any criticism please do speak up as I want this layout to look good in the end!

Thank you

post-32744-0-53903700-1518030970_thumb.jpg

post-32744-0-18805100-1518030982_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

Had a little break from modelling past few days due to being busy at work but back in full swing of things!

I have assembled the bike shelter, along with a few other minor details including some painters who are painting the rather grubby station building, some station staff and some deer which add to the countryside/pennine look.

post-32744-0-96526400-1519148050_thumb.jpg

post-32744-0-50201000-1519148062_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Diggle Junction is still progressing well and has actually been moved into the big shed which gives me space to add fiddle yards etc etc.

I am contemplating erecting a lighting unit as the shed lights aren't brilliant... any recommendations?

Thank you :)

post-32744-0-74840200-1520533364_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

The passage that Rolt (amongst others) took though the canal was in the summer of 1948.  I didn't think that Narrow Boat would have covered it as an earlier period (1939).

Adrian

I think the book that record the last passage of the Huddersfield narrow canal is ‘The River Runs Uphill’ by Robert Aickman. The canal of course has been restored and reopened in 2001.

I think the book that record the last passage of the Huddersfield narrow canal is ‘The River Runs Uphill’ by Robert Aickman. The canal of course has been restored and reopened in 2001.

I remember reading "Narrow Boat" on one of my ships, it was definitely in there as well. Yes it has been restored; I can remember some of the early fundraisers by the likes of The Mikron Theatre Company, and the I-walk, in about 1981, a sponsored walk down the canal from (IIRC) Brownhill to Stalybridge

I remember reading "Narrow Boat" on one of my ships, it was definitely in there as well. Yes it has been restored; I can remember some of the early fundraisers by the likes of The Mikron Theatre Company, and the I-walk, in about 1981, a sponsored walk down the canal from (IIRC) Brownhill to Stalybridge

can remember the start of work to reopen dungebooth lock would of been around 1980 a fair few of my friends helped out as part of their D of  E volunteer work .the clearing of the concrete cap and infill was back breaking .some of the locks around Micklehurst still  have their cast iron L&NWR  boundary markers very visible 

• RMweb Premium

I can't find my copy of Narrow Boat at the moment, but with it being published in 1944, I'd be surprised if it covered a trip in 1948.

can remember the start of work to reopen dungebooth lock would of been around 1980 a fair few of my friends helped out as part of their D of  E volunteer work .the clearing of the concrete cap and infill was back breaking .some of the locks around Micklehurst still  have their cast iron L&NWR  boundary markers very visible 

Work started at Slathwaite in April 1976 (I was there).

Adrian