Uniform

Jack P

Hey guys,

I am hopeful the collective mind of the Southern Railway Group, can hopefully provide some answers.

I'm simply after the approximate colour of the southern railway steam loco crew uniforms. However for thread completeness, Would also be interested to know about shed staff, EMU drivers, station staff etc, if anyone has photos of anything they have inherited, that would be awesome! 

Obviously the colours faded with time/washing/wear but just looking for the original!

Thanks guys

• Like 1

Staff who wore ties as part of their uniform wore red ones which, in an emergency situation, could be used as red flags.

The Isle of Wight Steam Railway uniforms are modelled on Southern Railway practice so look for colour photos on the internet (including the railway's own website) that show staff thereon and that is a pretty good guide as to what SR staff clothing would have looked like.

Edited by bécasse

• 10 months later...

Probably a bit late, but us MHR staff (in particular those of us at Medstead and Alresford) are required to wear SR uniform. As Medstead is set in 1948 I imagine that what I have to wear is fairly close to what you need for your period, Jack. We're required to wear red ties, as mentioned above.

post-33498-0-90134900-1545178757.png

That's about the only standard I can find! Perhaps this will be more useful to you though - A photo of the Alresford staff taken in 1946 (a proper print is in the Station Inspector's office at Alresford):

Alresford_Station_Staff_May_1946.jpg

In evidence are four different styles of cap badge (we use the one seen on the Stationmaster's cap) and up to seven different styles of cap!!! I'd say that what we wear is closest to the Stationmaster's uniform, though some people have the sleeved waistcoats evident amongst the lower ranks. I personally wear an SR 'Railway Service' badge, as seen on the right lapels of the uniform of the two ladies and the gent (porter?) top right.

And in writing that I forgot my original point of making the post! I'm looking for bits of SR uniform to purchase for my Dad (he's on the Alresford platform staff) and having failed to find another 'Railway Service' badge that I'll be able to get to him by the 25th I've hit a bit of a brick wall - any suggestions?

Edited by sem34090

I see you've rated my post as informative/useful, Alex. I'd best add the disclaimer, therefore (knowing you model the Eastern Division) that uniform was not only variable between individual staff members (as seen above!) but, as best as I can tell, varied between divisions. For you then, Alex, I'd suggest that elements of SECR uniform would still be very much in evidence, even by the end of your time period.

For Jack, though, the above photo is probably more useful as he seems to be modelling the Western Division, and by 1948 the uniform was more standardised. That said, I've been recently talking to my stationmaster about my possibly wearing some LSWR buttons on my jacket in place of SR ones and as he put it - The Southern only existed for 25 years and many items of uniform would not have needed replacing during that time.

• Like 1

I believe that Clive Groome wears a typical SR engineman's attire. I don't think you can really call it a uniform, more work clothes.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=clive+groome&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiOwprZ0qrfAhURonEKHefZAcIQsAR6BAgDEAE&biw=1366&bih=651#imgrc=_

Notice the colour of the tie. Don't think I've seen anyone wearing red ties apart from people working for companies like Virgin. They are just house colours like school ties.

I doubt anyone would see a red tie from a few hundred yards in an emergency. Likewise Jenny Agutter's knickers.

To stop a train, just face the train and raise your hands above your head. That's the proper way. Or use the detonators which every loco or brake van carried.

hand-danger-3.jpg

http://www.fourbythree.co.uk/library/galleries/lib-emerg.html

Jason

I appreciate the resurgence of this thread and the added information! 

I'm actually more interested in modelling the LBSC and the SECR more than the LSWR and my time period is the middle of 1947.

Edited by Jack P

Apologies Jack - I was recalling your loco fleet as being quite ex-LSWR appropriate, and recall you saying Guildford as a rough area. Though, of course, Guildford allows you all three companies. I said 1948 but knew it might be a bit earlier for your period.

• Like 1

Apologies Jack - I was recalling your loco fleet as being quite ex-LSWR appropriate, and recall you saying Guildford as a rough area. Though, of course, Guildford allows you all three companies. I said 1948 but knew it might be a bit earlier for your period.

Nah no worries buddy, I change my mind enough about where i'm modelling. I think it's just that the majority of my fleet is LSWR because the manufacturers have produced many variations of LSWR locos (certainly more than the other 2).

I feel like a rough approximation would be sufficient anyways, after all I am modelling a faux-prototypical location!

• Like 1