Rock Z21 not working?

70E

I've just taken delivery of one of the above. I downloaded the app prior to getting it and had a play around with it, the sliders for speed etc worked fine.

I've now set everything up and connected to the wifi and track. Have got a wifi connection to the z21 etc

But Nothing happens, won't recognise a loco, speed sliders do not move? Baffled?

Any ideas on what the issue might be?

Firstly confirm that you have a solid blue light on the front of the unit, red means you have an issue somewhere and a flashing blue means you have been disconnected.

If that is all ok try shorting out the track, a brief short should cause the Z21 to buzz and longer short should cause it to issue a STOP and the Z21 will be Red - also confirm you have connected the track correctly and you haven’t switched it into programming track mode.

If you have selected the correct loco and all the lights are blue, plus power is getting to the track you should be ok.

Or blue if you are using the new app :)

Just a thought - have you checked the IP address in the app to ensure you are seeing the Z21 - if you are using the Roco provided Wi-Fi router the address in the app for the Z21 should be 192.168.0.111

Edited by WIMorrison

It reads the loco address from the same track as a programming track but still no response when trying to use the 'controller' part, slider or direction function doesn't move

Edited by 70E

You do seem to have it all connected correctly and as you are able to programme - the Z21 should go green when you choose programming - I can only suggest you have an issue with the app and I would suggest that;

A) reboot the phone to make sure it is ok

B) save the layout and loco data by exporting to an email to yourself and then delete and reinstall the app.

When you reinstall see if you can control the loco with the bare app, no configuration other than ipaddress for the app and creation of a loco with the address of your loco - no functions, no points nothing.

If it works then import the config from the email and confirm it still works

I am sorry but I am now out of ideas - hopefully someone else can jump in a suggest a cure for the fault you have.

I haven’t seen this fault and everything I can think off you have been able discount as working correctly:(

Good luck, sorry I can’t help you more

What address are you using for the loco?

The same one as used on my Lenz system, 4 digit

I am sorry but I am now out of ideas - hopefully someone else can jump in a suggest a cure for the fault you have.

I haven’t seen this fault and everything I can think off you have been able discount as working correctly:(

Good luck, sorry I can’t help you more

Many thanks, your assistance is appreciated

Last suggestion - can you use the programming track to change the address to a single digit e.g. 1 and see if you can control the loco?

I don't use 4 digit addresses and whilst I am almost certain that will not be an issue, it just rules out another potential cause.

As a last hope, you didn't use a Multimaus with you Lenz system, did you? If you did plug that into the z21 and see if that works to control the loco - at the back of my mind is a feeling that this is wifi related but difficult to diagnose from a distance - you could try downloading Fing from the App Store and running it when connected to the z21 network and you should only see 2 devices, the z21 on ip address 192.168.0.11 and another showing whatever your tablet address is - if you don't see the z21 on that address then you have an issue, and if you see more than 2 devices then again - there is an issue :(

I have a Z21 rather than a Z21 and haven’t seen a problem like that. I’ve used both versions of the app on an ipad2, an iPad mini 4 and an iPhone 4s and have never had a problem with the throttle. I just created s loco, gave it the right number and that was it. I use 4 digit addresses.

Edited by NickC

Is there any possibility that yout iPad’s WiFi is not connected to the z21’s routers WiFi but has connected to a different WiFi network and so can’t talk to the Z21?

I can produce a similar issue if I do that

Having had a time to think on this I wonder if you have Wi-Fi at home from some supplier and you use their router with default setup? I ask because most ISPs use the same subnet as used by Roco and you may be getting connectivity but to the wrong place.

I was slightly thrown when you said that you could reset the STOP failure from within the app when all your symptoms suggest a lack of connection between the app and the Z21.

I suggest that if you have a home router that you try switching it off and then trying to use the app again to see if this removes potential conflict. The Fing app will also provide the information on what else is on the subnet but won’t cure any issues whereas switching the hone router off will ensure that you are using the Z21 network.

Try this and come back, especially if it resolves the problem, I can then talk you through how to resolve that issue :)

If it doesn’t solve it then we will need to think again!

Where about are you located?

Ive downloaded the app to an old iPhone and exactly the same thing happens, works when not connected as soon as its connected to the Z21 it can read the cv on the programming track etc but won't control the loco. I turned off the home internet and still no change.

I assume that you are using the router that came with the Z21?

If you are then I can only suggest that you call Roco or email them for a solution. I am totally at a loss now - sorry.

If The Z21 came without a router then you need to purchase an access code from Roco, £28 I think - but I am sure that isn’t the issue, of course you can also speak to the dealer you bought it from?

I have just managed to reproduce (in part) your problem.

I had multiple copies of the z21 open and the throttle wouldn't respond. I closed all the apps that were open on the iPad and opened the z21 app again and the throttle worked.

Do you have multiple copies of the app open?