• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 riscosuser

riscosuser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 15:12

Thought I'd show one of the completed servo point motors.

The main cost is the servo, this means including small parts & the 3D printing cost per point motor is under £2.00.

Much cheaper than commercial offerings.

IMG_20180525_152410.jpg

IMG_20180525_153037.jpg

Edited by riscosuser, 26 May 2018 - 12:05 .

• Like x 1

#27 riscosuser

riscosuser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 12:19

Some second-hand ceiling tile and the basic form is done.

I'm, going to fit the base, point motors and do the basic scenery before enclosing the track at the rear.

IMG_20180525_142228.jpg

• Like x 3

#28 Andrew Cockburn

Andrew Cockburn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 13:08

Looks like its coming along nicely. I must confess I've been tempted to try using servos re point operation, I've always used the Peco version to date, and while these are pretty effective, at the same time they are a bit on the powerful/aggressive side, and as such, I've suffered one or two damaged point motors in the past, ie due to the return spring popping out, never to be found again, and even when I did have a spare spring to hand, I replacing it was a tricky if not impossible task.

I guess therefore that slow operation is therefore perhaps better, also more realistic, and as such Tortoise motors are also ideal, although the only drawback with these is that they are a bit cumbersome ie they need a fair bit of location space, and are not exactly cheap into the bargain. So am I correct to assume that your point motors will be located under the base, also how exactly will the linkage to the points work?

#29 ShildonShunter

ShildonShunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 13:21

This cakebox is coming along nicely I like that you have utilised ceiling tiles and foam for the basis shape of the landscaping.:)

#30 riscosuser

riscosuser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 14:56

My issue with solenoid point motors is exactly that they can damage the point. With copper clad points I want to stress them as little as possible.

Cost is also an issue, I've again got a target of under £10.00, for this cakebox, not including stock.

Peco point motors are about £6.00, Tortoise style motors £10-£18. This homemade servo type under £2.00. I've not costed the 3D print but this should be pence

If you wish you can use servo type with a resistor and use a simple dpdt switch this means the motor is powered all the time but the resistor drops most of the power. Not ideal but simple.

I intend to use an Arduino, the micro version cost about £2.00 and will control up to 17 servos!

Space wise unit is 45mm wide x 38 deep x 28mm Height, not including linkage wire.

I need to get thinner piano wire going to try 0.7mm . Thinner wire equals less stress on the point.

I am going to ft these under the board, had originally allowed 1" so just need to reset the gate on the saw :)

Linkage wire on these servos works exactly the same way as  Cobalt slow speed motors in that the wire flexes.

Generally, if you are using sprung points (i.e. Peco) best to remove the spring.

Looks like its coming along nicely. I must confess I've been tempted to try using servos re point operation, I've always used the Peco version to date, and while these are pretty effective, at the same time they are a bit on the powerful/aggressive side, and as such, I've suffered one or two damaged point motors in the past, ie due to the return spring popping out, never to be found again, and even when I did have a spare spring to hand, I replacing it was a tricky if not impossible task.

I guess therefore that slow operation is therefore perhaps better, also more realistic, and as such Tortoise motors are also ideal, although the only drawback with these is that they are a bit cumbersome ie they need a fair bit of location space, and are not exactly cheap into the bargain. So am I correct to assume that your point motors will be located under the base, also how exactly will the linkage to the points work?

• Informative/Useful x 1

#31 009 micro modeller

009 micro modeller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 16:37

Looking good and I like the landscaping - really shows what can be done in the space.

#32 riscosuser

riscosuser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 12:04

The basic scenery's done.

Time to do the base.

IMG_20180529_105232.jpg

• Like x 3
  • Craftsmanship/Clever x 1

#33 ShildonShunter

ShildonShunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 12:12

This is coming along nicely great modelling.:)

#34 Bill_J

Bill_J

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationWas in transit, now in Southampton.

Posted 29 May 2018 - 16:07

I have to agree with ShildonShunter. I can't wait to see the bunny seam though.

Regards

Bill

• Agree x 1

#35 Andrew Cockburn

Andrew Cockburn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 16:28

Coming along nicely, the ballasting (my least favourite railway modelling activity) looks rather neat, while the rocky effect looks good too. And in common with Bill_J, I can't wait to see the bunnies too!

Edited by Andrew Cockburn, 29 May 2018 - 16:29 .

• Agree x 1

#36 luke the train spotter

luke the train spotter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 16:06

Been a while since I looked at this layout and it looks great! I look forward to seeing the scenery progress and enjoy the ballasting ;)
  • Agree x 1

#37 Scritlock

Scritlock

Registered Member

• Moderators
  • 5 posts

Posted Today, 11:59

After mucking about with a spray-can of expanded foam for my cakebox, I only wish that I'd thought of using ceiling tiles instead! This is coming along very well, though, and I look forward to seeing the finished result. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cakebox, 7mm, narrow gauge, 09, Arduino