Hattons decoder problem

MarkK

I've got the exact same problems with Hatton's 6-pin Decoders.

They behave as described in post #1. I have tried them in different locos, Hattons 14xx, Heljan 1366, Bachmann 64xx but the problems appear in all these locos.

It seems as if these decoders are very (over-)sensitive to slightly dirty wheels and track. Even after cleaning, the locos suddenly stop an accelerate again after some time.

I had this problem with two of mine too!

Swapped to Zimos and everything works fine; a lot more reliable.

To be fair on Hattons, they simply asked for a return and refunded the money.

• 3 weeks later...

I had better running with these settings:

CV5 = 255 (0)

CV6 = 128 (0)

CV49 = 17 (0)

CV51 = 0 (32)

CV52 = 0 (-)

CV53 = 140 (-)

CV54 = 40 (-)

CV55 = 28 (-)

CV56 = 255 (-)

CV124 = 4 (-)

The value in the brackets was the default for my chip.

Also, the Hattons chips didn't have anything above CV52, so not sure why they suggested that.

Give Hattons a call/email and tell them what loco you're running and see what they say.

But ultimately, I sent both mine back.

will give those a try 

cant send mine back as i cut off the plug to hardwire them in

no joy so going to try the £10 ebay cheepos next

ps many of my defaults were different to yours 

Edited by lambretta

• 1 month later...

Hi Rob

I have been through all of the CVs.  I installed another Hattons decoder into a 1F and the performance was marginally better.  I contacted Hattons regarding the issue and they advised it was the e-link and in a nut shell its only good for Hornby decoders.  To be honest, if I am going to carry on down the DCC route  I am going to have to get a decent controller such as the powercab etc.  The unreliability is such a frustration.

Mark

I've been running several Hattons DCC chips with my e-link. Its also fine with my 4 DCC Concepts Zen chips as well including those with stay alives fitted so don't think its an underlying compatibility issue,

PS more recently I found the e-Link not working well with a Loksound chip, I dug deep, bought a NCE PowerCab, best decision I ever made. Grandchildren get to use the e-link now!

PPS added after seeing the recent posts, looks as if its an issue with recent Hattons chips, mine are 3+ years old and still working fine. IME Hattons will always replace / refund on faulty goods, been very good in that respect.

Edited by BWsTrains

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

I’m having problems with the 8 pin direct plug in decoders. I’ve tried the settings in the thread above and a factory reset, but with no success. They’re out of their warranty period so I can’t send them back. Any ideas before they go in the bin?