4700 Damage Poll

JimC

Heljan 4700 damage poll  

28 members have voted

1. 1. How many times did you have to return before you got a model you were prepared to keep?

• The first was OK
    • Once
    • Twice
    • Three Times
    • Four or more
    • I gave up and got my money back
    • Other
    • Order cancelled before any deliveries.
  2. 2. If your first model was satisfactory did you

• Collect it
    • Have it delivered
    • Other
  3. 3. Was the model you elected to keep

• Completely undamaged
    • Some minor parts displaced, nothing worse than fitting optional parts
    • Damaged but within my skills to rectify
    • Damaged but I decided to live with it
    • I haven't kept one - I returned it
    • Other

I thought it might be useful to gain an idea of the extent of problems with the 4700 deliveries. Whilst any model arriving damaged is unacceptable, if 1 in 10 is damaged then that's a different scale of problem to 9 out of 10 being damaged, if only because of the number of returns that are likely to be needed before you get one that's acceptable. So I knocked up a poll to give prospective purchasers an idea of how likely they are to get one that's right first time. There probably won't be enough replies to be useful, but who knows. The poll could doubtless be worded better, but never mind. I suggest discussion of the actual problems and what retailers and manufacturer should do or say about it is best kept to the main topic.

Edited by JimC

• RMweb Premium

You're going to get a massively biased view because people who have received a damaged one are likely to be far more vocal than those who didn't.

Retailers should replace or refund faulty items. This doesn't change if 1/10,000 are broken or 1/2. You don't need a poll for that.

Not sure what you will really achieve from this.

Not sure what you will really achieve from this.

A little more information to assist making a rational decision about if, where and how to purchase one. If the vast majority are having to be returned multiple times then I might decide I would rather go and collect one from a shop 50 miles away. If the vast majority are being delivered in one piece then I might decide to get one mail order. If I really object to the hassle of going down to the post office to return stuff then I'm less likely to accept the risk of having to return a damaged one than if I'm a regular ebay fanatic who's down the post office every day anyway.

But as you rightly point out, people with no complaint are rarely vocal. But I think there is evidence to suggest that they are more likely to respond to an anonymous poll than they are to post in a topic. After all, who wants to be the smug ******* saying "I'm all right Jack" when everyone else is bemoaning their twisted plastic?

Edited by JimC

• RMweb Gold

Remember only a small percentage of modellers are active on this forum in any case....and a percentage of those who bought won't bother to complete your questionnaire.Maybe also an idea to consult Andy Y for guidance on this ?

I am unsure that there is as yet any specific known cause for the glitches that have randomly occurred.....even by Heljan themselves with complete certainty.

There is in fact one probable reason for them....let's just say a more than likely cause.I will take that that no further.

I understand the concerns and sympathise but honestly do not think this will help

Since you have to answer all questions, including how many you returned before you got a satisfactory one (Q1) , there is no option for stating you returned it for a refund and don't have one (Q3), (or for that matter cancelled your order upon studying the production model and hearing about the problems).

Since you have to answer all questions, including how many you returned before you got a satisfactory one (Q1) , there is no option for stating you returned it for a refund and don't have one (Q3), (or for that matter cancelled your order upon studying the production model and hearing about the problems).

Fair comment. Added a couple of options. Not sure folk cancelling orders before receiving is of much practical use for the public (as opposed to Heljan) but does no harm.

• RMweb Gold

For the question “ How was it delivered”..

I’m interested to know what “other” means ..?

If you didn’t go get it, or it wasn’t delivered how did it arrive : teleportation ?, It was Born ?

If you didn’t go get it, or it wasn’t delivered how did it arrive : teleportation ?, It was Born ?

Gift perhaps?

The question states, 'if your first model was satisfactory....  how was it delivered'

Neither of my two models was satisfactory so I had to put 'other'.  Even though they were by courier.