New poster here, hello!

North Eastern Railway coal hoppers.

North Eastern Railway

Pre 1914 preferably

OO scale

In your opinions, which manufacturer makes the best RTR coal hoppers?

Alternatively, best kit?

For the ultimate hopper, what would be the best wheels?

Best sprung buffers?

Best three link couplings?

What else?

Your advice and experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jack

Edited by jackmagnum

Presently there are no ready to run options although with the various NER locos now proposed, who knows?.

The P7s are available from Coopercraft (Slaters) although please read the plentiful cautions about the supplier here on RMweb (so keep your eyes on ebay).  The P4 is available from David Geen.

You can find some work I have done to the Slaters kits to backdate them here and here.  I have not used sprung buffers.  You need split spoke wagon wheels from Alan Gibson.

Mark

Edited by Portchullin Tatty

• RMweb Premium

The P7s are available from Coopercraft (Slaters) although please read the plentiful cautions about the supplier here on RMweb (so keep your eyes on ebay).  

I know you've included a caveat, Mark, but could I please stress that the P7s are in no way, shape or form available from Coopercraft, though his website will still take payment from you. 

Presently there are no ready to run options although with the various NER locos now proposed, who knows? 

The P4 is available from David Geen.

Mark

The reference to David Geen is rather untimely. As this topic notes http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/134151-david-geen-model-railway-kits-retirement/page-1&do=findComment&comment=3164491 he is in the process of retiring and is unlikely to accept any new orders.

It's also slightly cruel to refer to that catalogue page as it is ten years old, and the prices of all those tempting morsels had more than doubled the last time I saw his stand at an exhibition!

• RMweb Premium

All rather frustrating for the OP, I'm sure. However there are two rays of sunlight:

51L/Wizard have a whitemetal kit for the diagram P5 11 ton hopper.

Slater's are said to have extricated themselves from the Coopercraft situation and to be in the process of preparing to re-issue their 4mm scale range of plastic carriage and wagon kits, so there's hope for the P7. Certainly don't rush out to pay inflated prices on ebay!

All rather frustrating for the OP, I'm sure. However there are two rays of sunlight:

51L/Wizard have a whitemetal kit for the diagram P5 11 ton hopper.

Slater's are said to have extricated themselves from the Coopercraft situation and to be in the process of preparing to re-issue their 4mm scale range of plastic carriage and wagon kits, so there's hope for the P7. Certainly don't rush out to pay inflated prices on ebay!

It would be nice if they retooled the inside so it shows internal detail?

• RMweb Premium

It would be nice if they retooled the inside so it shows internal detail?

I would think that is highly unlikely. There's enough pent-up demand, plus enough to do on Slater's part to get the whole range of kits back in production* to make any additional investment on tooling dating from the 1980s not at all worth-while.

*We gather that they're having to re-do the instruction sheets, the originals having gone astray in the Coopercraft years.

• RMweb Premium

There's enough pent-up demand

Two iffily made-up (or at least iffily photographed) ones went for £45 on ebay the other day, one without brake levers.

Should we be offering our old instructions to Slater's to help things along? Would they be any use to them? As DougN says, plenty of us have them lying around. I know exactly where mine are. 

UPDATE: I emailed them after writing this post offering instructions and they wrote back a couple of minutes later saying (a) that it's no rumour - they are in fact re-releasing the NER hoppers, and (b) that they do in fact need instructions, which surprised me as a post on here would have had modellers queuing up to offer them. As it is, I've offered them a copy. 

Edited by Daddyman
  • Like 3

It is a little sad that the manufacturers have second thoughts about the help, we, their customers can provide. Ok yes they do need to filter some of the "why didn't you do the version of" and "can you reduce prices to half"... comments but a lot and here, I would suggest the majority, only really want to genuinely help!

In his situation as slaters really are doing a new version there is a lot more readily accessible information now than when they do the original kit. So they may have the option to add more detail or variants with what is available. Saying that though I would suggest even if they just did the old version with the steel and timber end staunchs they would make a lot of modellers happy.... which includes me! Back in 2014 at scalefourum I was ready to buy a 10 pack but they were not available! So yes I could do with at least one trains worth!

OP here. Thanks for your posts, your shared experiences are much appreciated.

Thanks to RM Web, I was forewarned of the Coopercraft saga.

Equally, I was aware of Mr. & Mrs. Geen's situation, and wish them well.

As a born optimist, I look forward to Slater reintroducing their 4mm kits, and to David Geen's work finding a new owner.

Gibson's wheels - noted.

Any other suggestions, keep them coming!

Thanks again

Jack

• RMweb Premium

The NER hopper, Slater's tell me, will almost certainly be the first kit back in production. 

I've sent the instructions off to them 1st class this morning. 

There is absolutely no reason to think that the kit will be upgraded in any way. Ambis Engineering do an etched brake lever. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Indeed they do, but it takes great care in assembling: some pictures (and recommendations) on my workbench if anyone is interested:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/2050-on-tim-ls-p4-workbench-more-wagons/?p=14860

I'm glad you've referenced your thread, Tim - I was going to; there might be other things of benefit to the OP. 

I have produced some etches for a number of options to go with the P7 hoppers.  The links already provided in my earlier posting show these in use.

These include foot steps, side brake levers, end brake levers, replacement brake shoes/stanchions, outer W irons and anti-friction wheels.  A couple of the combinations that are possible can be seen in this picture.

post-7769-0-52774600-1528146436_thumb.jpg

As of the moment I have sold out of these but if there is interest in them I can easily get some more etched.

Edited by Portchullin Tatty
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

As regards the Geen kits, whilst it is true Dave is retiring, he still has stocks of certain kits.

It might be worth while getting in contact with him, preferably through his phone.

He might be slightly difficult to contact, his wife isn't very well and there are hospital visits. Depends if you fancy the kits, they are very good.

I am a satisfied customer.

Chris.

Two iffily made-up (or at least iffily photographed) ones went for £45 on ebay the other day, one without brake levers.

Phew !

I bought three, unmade Slaters NER hoppers from a stand at the Mickleover Show 18 months ago £5 each !

And to cap it all, they'll end up as NCB wagons !

Brian R

• 1 month later...

They are awaiting the transfers, but available to order. I rang them the other morning and acquired some. They'll be sent out when the decals arrive.

Very glad I didn't enter into any eBay unpleasantness for some now!

Cheers

J

Fantastic news, would you mind sharing the price?? Or perhaps another thread or website with further info?

Fantastic news, would you mind sharing the price?? Or perhaps another thread or website with further info?

£8.25 I think, certainly begins with an 8 anyway! Wheels are not included though, but easy enough resource elsewhere. And that makes things easier for anyone who works in any of the other 4mm scales to 00.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

J

• 2 weeks later...