Dungeness B - OO Modern Nuclear Flask Transfer

cal.n

I don't know why the ground frame was in the hut.

Flasks on site, 2 and 3.

attachicon.gifK-722 DN 24-5-94.jpg

attachicon.gifP-490 DN 10-6-92 FNA 550022.jpg

Must have been fun shunting with a brake van and barrier wagons too.

Cheers.

The Ground Frame will have dated from before the New Romney line was closed.  That time period seems to have escaped the camera. 

I can remember the ground frames at each end of the loop for Lydd ARC, but the actual point work had gone from the single line.  The weighbridge was also present.

Often thought about modelling my local flask loading point at Valley

I did consider valley, but it has a hard to model (yet interesting) triangle for turning. Do you mind me asking when that was taken? I want to set it the latest possible time that I can run a pair of 37 on flasks.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I did consider valley, but it has a hard to model (yet interesting) triangle for turning. Do you mind me asking when that was taken? I want to set it the latest possible time that I can run a pair of 37 on flasks.

Still current but not very often. I've never seen 66s at Dunngy but that doesn't mean they have never been, mainly 68s now

Still current but not very often. I've never seen 66s at Dunngy but that doesn't mean they have never been, mainly 68s now

Thanks, I think I’ll stick with 37s and 68s as the primary traction. I can’t find any photos of 66s on the line. Gauging?

Edited by cal.n

An interesting layout the the  picsare very detailed but doesn't the official secrets act cover this area , so you can await the knock on the door at five am!

You are not wrong. All the time I worked for BR & Balfour Beatty I never saw the police. However, in 2015 as part of my open weekend my friend supplied his bus for journeys on the Saturday afternoon. Of course they stopped at the crane site and took pictures. See below what happened after they left.

post-1373-0-71772500-1527795781_thumb.jpg

The "Civil Nuclear Police" said hello! They were fine, but stated they send a team if anyone stops at the gates to check what is going on. We had a good laugh anyway.

So it is an issue.

Cheers.

• Like 5

Thanks, I think I’ll stick with 37s and 68s as the primary traction. I can’t find any photos of 66s on the line. Gauging?

I dont think any DRS ones have worked down the branch, but ive photographed a GBRf one on a railtour and a DB one on a freight working to lydd a few years back.

Looking forward to seeing you progress with this!

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Hi Cal,

Are you going to model the angle between the approach track and the railhead complex that is such a prominent feature of the photos above?

I think that having either the approach, or the complex, or both set at an angle on the baseboard would make for a very dynamic design.

Hi Cal,

Are you going to model the angle between the approach track and the railhead complex that is such a prominent feature of the photos above?

I think that having either the approach, or the complex, or both set at an angle on the baseboard would make for a very dynamic design.

I hadn’t thought about that, but now you mention it...

My only concern is that the length of the loop is compressed anyway and trains may not fit into the loop with two reverse curves. Time for more sketches methinks

• Like 1

This is a fascinating subject, but I am just a bit worried you will find it very boring to operate, once you have recreated every single sand dune? It was, in reality, very boring to operate (I was Duty Traffic Manager at Ashford in the mid-80's,so had to be passed out on the line, in case anything went wrong). Our greatest excitement was in trying to find a working tail lamp for the BV (which was mandatory then) when one went out....

In reality, the greatest security threat is not at the siding, so I doubt anyone takes train enthusiasts' photos seriously. If they did, there would be a 200m exclusion zone around it.

Have you thought about imagineering that the New Romney branch was still open for a variety of trains (or even that the bustling shanty town of Dungeness needed a passenger service) or that .......

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I hadn’t thought about that, but now you mention it...

My only concern is that the length of the loop is compressed anyway and trains may not fit into the loop with two reverse curves. Time for more sketches methinks

Ah well, you see that's why you might need all three boards to be scenic...

Would you mind if I posted a drawing of an idea?

• RMweb Gold

If you set in 2000 or there about yo could have DRS 20 s and 37s even 20/9s and thumpers going round to new Romney.

If you envisaged that Romney kept run round facilities the odd charter or if it has blossomed further than it did delic hauled Saturday virgin services!

A lot more interesting than banging a few FNAs about!

This is a fascinating subject, but I am just a bit worried you will find it very boring to operate, once you have recreated every single sand dune? It was, in reality, very boring to operate (I was Duty Traffic Manager at Ashford in the mid-80's,so had to be passed out on the line, in case anything went wrong). Our greatest excitement was in trying to find a working tail lamp for the BV (which was mandatory then) when one went out....

In reality, the greatest security threat is not at the siding, so I doubt anyone takes train enthusiasts' photos seriously. If they did, there would be a 200m exclusion zone around it.

Have you thought about imagineering that the New Romney branch was still open for a variety of trains (or even that the bustling shanty town of Dungeness needed a passenger service) or that .......

I don’t really have room for a recreation of the New Romeny branch. There will of course be many more odd Engineering trains, MPV, test trains and Caroline has been down a few times. These can occupy one loop and wait for a Nuclear train to enter, clear the line and leave and vice versa.

Looking through Flickr, there has been quite a bit of varied traction and wagons down the branch:

PFAs with large and small boxes

https://flic.kr/p/bGJYPc

https://flic.kr/p/FHNe8k

T&T 37s on a short test train

https://flic.kr/p/e1fc3m

A GBRf hauled charter

https://flic.kr/p/26TTYTi

T&T 73s on a weedkilling train

https://flic.kr/p/bx5pAq

Caroline behind a ROG 47

https://flic.kr/p/VWDkRd

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I don’t really have room for a recreation of the New Romeny branch. There will of course be many more odd Engineering trains, MPV, test trains and Caroline has been down a few times. These can occupy one loop and wait for a Nuclear train to enter, clear the line and leave and vice versa.

Sadly not if you are going for true working as the branch is one train working.

From lydd to Dungeness is now a siding for the working of stone from lydd but this has yet to happen

• Like 1

Sadly not if you are going for true working as the branch is one train working.

From lydd to Dungeness is now a siding for the working of stone from lydd but this has yet to happen

Okay, I may sacrifice prototypical operation for some more interesting running in that case

• RMweb Gold

Maybe operation is not the primary goal? Maybe the pleasure would come from the scene and watching and hearing(!) the big diesels hauling flasks across the shingle?

Edited by Harlequin

• RMweb Gold

I wonder why the ground frame is inside the hut? Doesn’t look like you can see much from in there

I'd think the guy who changed the points probably also acted as hand-signalman/shunter, so he'd be coming out again before anything moved.

Probably inside to avoid it being destroyed by the Dungeness weather. :jester:

John

• RMweb Premium

I'd think the guy who changed the points probably also acted as hand-signalman/shunter, so he'd be coming out again before anything moved.

Probably inside to avoid it being destroyed by the Dungeness weather. :jester:

John

During the latter years before DRS took over, shunting was done by the Hither Green guard/trainman who came down with the train.

The hardest part for a few of them was placing the flask carrier so the c/l mark on the wagon aligned with the mark on the ground and in turn with the carrier lorry. At least 2 of them were subject to a lot of Sarf London verbal depending who the driver was!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...