Voltage question

Marcyg

Me again! A quick one this time. My NCE smart booster was supplied with a 13.8 volt adaptor, can I plug in a 16v adaptor and not cook it? All my other power packs are 16v and the drop when locos change power districts is quite noticeable. Thanks

• RMweb Premium

The manual suggests that the supplied PSU/mains adaptor has a switch allowing the voltage output to be changed from 12V to 13.8V. Maybe your mains adaptor has the switch set to the 12V range?

Steven B.

The manual suggests that the supplied PSU/mains adaptor has a switch allowing the voltage output to be changed from 12V to 13.8V. Maybe your mains adaptor has the switch set to the 12V range?

Steven B.

It’s already set to that. It’s still 2.2 volts less than everything else, which is noticeable Edited by Marcyg

Check the manual.My SB3a uses 14-18 volt AC or 18-24 volt DC but higher input does not give higher track because its factory set to 13.8 volts.

But I believe the SB5 track volts is the same as the input volts with another BUT that the input volts is 12 or 13.8

Edit

the SB3a is supposed to be adjustable between 9 and 14v but I've never bothered to try and get an extra 0.2v out of it.

Edited by 10000

So your SB5 is out of warrenty?

In addition have you done anything for short circuit protection because.

Short Circuit Protection:

POWER

TRACK

STATUS

The P514 Power Supply that is supplied with the SB5 incorporates internal short circuit protection that will shut down track power in the event of a short circuit. The unit will attempt to re-energize the track every 3-4 seconds until the short is cleared. The Status LED conveys status of the track power. The LED will ‘blip’ each time the P514 attempts to restore track power, steady ‘on’ of the LED indicates track power is restored.

So your SB5 is out of warrenty?

In addition have you done anything for short circuit protection because.

Short Circuit Protection:

POWER

TRACK

STATUS

The P514 Power Supply that is supplied with the SB5 incorporates internal short circuit protection that will shut down track power in the event of a short circuit. The unit will attempt to re-energize the track every 3-4 seconds until the short is cleared. The Status LED conveys status of the track power. The LED will ‘blip’ each time the P514 attempts to restore track power, steady ‘on’ of the LED indicates track power is restored.

Not out of warrenty yet. To be honest I've only switched it on a couple of times, I'm still wiring up the layout. The older types seem to be able to handle the higher power, it's only the US legislation that has forced them to use a lower rated adaptor - or so I read somewhere. As for protection, yes. I have 9 sub districts all protected with circuit breakers. An absolute must and they are all tested thoroughly before a loco even sees the track