Somewhere in Shropshire

Had a similar experience trying to do track in fills, perhaps that is why Mr Nevard ballasts first so only a thin layer is used. I'd still like to try clay again, I think....

Mine was most certainly not a thin layer. Ah well. Live and learn!

Spent this evening rescuing the baseboard whilst I go back to the drawing board!

Air dry clay is fairly forgiving. Wetting the cracks a little just to soften the edges, you could have filled the cracks with more air dry clay. I'm sure if it works for sculpture it would work for this.

Though, if you've already cleared it off, I might be a little late...

Hope you can sort it.

Regards

Bill

Sorry, Bill. All cleared off. However, air clay won’t be abandoned for good. I might just work a little trial piece first next time. I’ve seen it used with great results so will give it another go.

Next decision; industrial or very small early preservation?

img_2235.jpg?w=225&h=300

As Amy is out today I took the chance to play trains! Although, more accurately this meant turning the two recently built Parkside kits (Iron Ore hopper and a 16 tonner) into older, more ‘lived in’ models.

A combo of dry-brushing, slapping on various shades of browns, oranges and greys, more dry-brushing and some wiping off left me with what you see below.

img_2238.jpg?w=314&h=314&crop=1

img_2237.jpg?w=314&h=314&crop=1

I much prefer the hopper, which will probably see more use anyway as I just prefer those wagons.

A good, enjoyable hours work.

• Like 2

img_2266.jpg?w=300&h=300

A simple, two minute job took place this morning. It’s half term so, of course, I’ve come down with a cold. Unable to sleep I decided to tackle a job I’d got planned for later.

A trip to the wonderful Trident Trains model shop – near Crewe and Nantwich (usual discalimer, satisfied customer etc) – yesterday saw me purchase a few bits and bobs I needed. One of which was some BR lamps. Not much else to say except it was easy enough to put one on my Oxford Rail Toad. The only slight issue was the need to ease the bracket on the Toad to slip the lamp over the top.

Two minutes. Huge improvement.

• Like 2

A new idea, regarding a wagon works - which seems a decent way of incorporating my enjoyment of Parkside wagon kits - seems the way forward. Once I’ve got a more concrete idea in progress i’ll start a new thread.

I've discovered that my initial idea, of using a small wagon repair siding 'somewhere' in the Lilleshall system would be highly unrealistic due to the fact that the wagon repair facility at Lilleshall was somewhat massive.

As I find that I much prefer working on more realistic ideas I'm wondering about revisiting the Lawley Village idea, once again compressed (even more so this time), to fit the space given. Brake van rides would be the order of the day, with perhaps a little bit of wagon shuffling into the siding.

I'm also beginning to lean towards the idea of using three links, as all trains will be made up of loco + one item of stock.

Thoughts?

I've discovered that my initial idea, of using a small wagon repair siding 'somewhere' in the Lilleshall system would be highly unrealistic due to the fact that the wagon repair facility at Lilleshall was somewhat massive.

As I find that I much prefer working on more realistic ideas I'm wondering about revisiting the Lawley Village idea, once again compressed (even more so this time), to fit the space given. Brake van rides would be the order of the day, with perhaps a little bit of wagon shuffling into the siding.

I'm also beginning to lean towards the idea of using three links, as all trains will be made up of loco + one item of stock.

Thoughts?

Think that it's a great idea. Go for the 3 links! You can't get a more realistic type couplings than them.

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to post a little update. Somewhere is Shropshire is now no more. However, I've been building up some stock kits, including three link couplings.

Additionally, I've started to - very loosely - plan a new layout in a box file. I'm looking at a colliery so I can combine my rail and brass band interests! I've come up with a potential name (which tips a wink to the railway I've got the inspiration from and is a dreadful and quite lazy pun) of 'Boxfield Colliery.' Thoughts? 

• Like 1

To be honest Luke, I'll just bodge a few buildings together to get the feel of things such as a winding engine and a screen, whilst I also want to get the colliery brass band room in there somewhere.

New topic, with the history of Boxfield, coming imminently.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ModellerChris said:

To be honest Luke, I'll just bodge a few buildings together to get the feel of things such as a winding engine and a screen, whilst I also want to get the colliery brass band room in there somewhere.

New topic, with the history of Boxfield, coming imminently.

Just seen it and the history is very interesting. Itll be interesting to see how you do the winding engine and screen. Ouh a bras band! I like the sound of that, an undermodelled prototype really as most collieries had one. I used to play in one, played the cornet.

• 2 months later...

Been debating resurrecting the initial idea of this thread. Few threads have offered inspiration, alongside the always amazing Juniper Hill. 

Been building some wagons I've built into Lilleshall company colours so it seems that a basis is there. 

Edited by 1722
  • Like 1

Your wish is my command, Luke (I should probably start a workbench thread in all honesty).

image.png.8093ef2029e0a05313007f89a96ce712.png

Here is the first one. The wagon itself is Parkside, the decals are the excellent Coast Line Models rub down variants (it isn't the right decals for the wagon but I'm not fussed about that) and the couplings are Smith 3-link. Finally, the wagon load is from the Dapol limestone range. Of course, once completed I had to place it with the Bachy model.

I made a (deliberate?) mistake though. I weathered the wood inside, before then adding the load. I was pleased with the weathering effect (see below), but, as I was using it as a practice I wasn't too worried about covering it.

image.png.3451f3d9bd40576e12db3ad71a5fa7ee.png

Edited by 1722
Typing. Argh!
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, luke the train spotter said:

Lovely looking wagon! The weathered wood on the inside is fantastic, how did you get that effect? I’ve got a couple open wagons which need the insides weathering.

Thanks Luke. 

Details are below. Using Humbrol acrylics I started off by painting the inside of the wagon with no. 71. I didn’t make it a perfect coat, more of a base. Then, when it was dry, I splashed random blobs of nos. 63, 94 and 110 all around. Where I thought it was too dark I then dry brushed more 71 over the top. Finally I used a wash of number 67, removing the excess with cotton buds.

That left me with what you see in the picture.

However, if I was doing it on the outside of the wagon I'd make sure I followed the planks with my painting, rather than the scattergun approach I applied here. I think I overdid the 67 wash, particularly as it was hard to remove excess from the corners. I'd thin it more next time.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

So, currently we're looking at a representation of a 'might be,' Doseley on the Telford Steam Railway. I want to mix my favourite elements of each station (building at Horsehay, fork arrangement at Lawley) to build a suitable micro. 

Baseboard wise, I'm debating whether to use a floating shelf I've got, or a Tim Horn board kit. 

• Like 1