1980s Chipmans Weed Killing Train

• RMweb Gold

You could have used the Hornby pull push unit. One of the Chapman fleet is preserved at I believe Swanage this was the driving trailer form one of the maunsel conversions.

Keith

I thought about that but it seemed a shame to use the one set I have, whilst I have a good supply of Maunsells obtained relatively cheaply a few years ago.

Cheers

Darius

• RMweb Gold

First class modelling, I doubt that I am alone when I ask if you would detail how you have completed the work.

Thanks - the conversion work was essentially:-

Corridor 3rd

- Disassemble body from chassis.

- Remove interior and glazing (gently prying off the glued glazed areas so that there were no cracks in the windows).

- Remove corridor connectors from coach body ends.

- Coat body with grey primer.

- Mask roof and airbrush sides and ends (mix of Humbrol enamel aircraft interior green and light grey).

- Mask sides and airbrush red cant tail band.

- Remove roof mask, fully mask sides and ends and spray roof dark grey followed by matt varnish coat.

- Re-install glazing, corridor connectors and interior and re-attach body to chassis.

Compartment Brake

- Disassemble body from chassis.

- Remove interior and glazing (gently prying off the glued glazed areas so that there were no cracks in the windows).

- Remove corridor connectors from coach body ends.

- Remove handrails from brake end and carve off footrests etc.

- Fill embossed corridor door and sand smooth.

- Remove guards duckets from coach sides and fill resultant holes with plasticard sheets with new windows pre cut. Fill gaps and sand smooth.

- Coat body with grey primer.

- Mark out windows on brake end - drill out and file to shape.

- Mask roof and airbrush sides and non-brake end (mix of Humbrol enamel aircraft interior green and light grey).

- Mask sides and airbrush red cant tail band.

- Remove roof mask, fully mask sides and ends and spray roof dark grey followed by matt varnish coat.

- Drill new handrail holes to brake end and add new wire handrails bent from 0.3mm dia. wire.

- Add new steps and other details from plasticard, plastic rod and wire.

- Add spray pipe assemblies to bogie - made from plasticard and wire. Apply grey primer before attaching to wire arms secured into holes drilled in bogie end frame.

- Mask coach body and spray brake end with white primer. Follow with coat of Halfords “Mustard Yellow”.

- Add spray pipe details to coach sides using plasticard and wire.

- Brush paint coach side and bogie spray pipe assemblies.

- Install new cab and side window glazing - clear acetate (old report cover) cut to fit and glued in place with small amount of cyano glue. Once secure brush on Klear varnish, which removes any glue “fogging” and further secures the glazing.

- Re-install glazing, corridor connector and interior and re-attach body to chassis.

Weathering

- Mix of Humbrol track colour and yellow airbrushed to chassis sides and ends.

- Follow this when dry with mix of BR coach grey with a bit of track colour mixed in to the bogie and chassis sides.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
8 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

That's because they were Esso Class B tank wagons, as modelled by Airfix. The Chipmans use came later. https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/chipmanweedkiller

Paul

Thanks. I'd seen those pics, but at first glance the barrel appears to be longer than the one in the kit. Maybe it's just the angle of the camera.