why isn't Digitrax controller operating my Dapol 08's

Hi. Hope this is the correct section for this.

I have just purchased a Digitrax DCC controller for my O gauge diesel depot layout but it wont operate my Dapol 08's. When I check the loco address it comes back as correct but the loco doesn't run at all with this address. I also have a PIKO DCC controller for my main layout and everything works OK on this. I checked cv29 but all seemed ok. The Dapol is set for Railcom use but apart from this everything is as expected.

I like the Digitrax unit as it's simply to use but why wont it work with the Dapol 08's?.....anyone help?

Is there power to the track?. Digitrax can default to NO track power & it needs to be switched on.

There should be a button marked "power" or "pwr."

Pushing this button followed by the "+" or "-" key turns the power on or off. If I remember correctly  

Do other locos work on Digitrax Edit started typing this before I saw  Ray H's reply

What is the loco address? if it is a long address lower the 128(eg 0056 or 0003 etc) then it wont respond to Digitrax.

Digitrax treats all addresses below 128 as short addresses 

If your loco is Long address 0028 & you type 0028 into Digitrax, Digitrax ignores the leading zeros & sends instructions to short address 28.

Your loco wont respond to short address 28 because its waiting to respond to long address 0028

John

Edited by John ks

Which throttle? Which command station?

It's a Zephyr extra, model DCS51, with a PS314 power supply. I understand this is all I need for basic use?

The unit works with my Heljan locos and also my Little loco one but with none of my two Dapol 08's

That's a good point about the address's but the 08's are 3219 and 3358 so this isn't the problem

I could try a reset but am open to other suggestions

On that basis I'd try a decoder rest first - but only on one loco until this can be resolved

Thanks. Would you still do that even though the loco works perfectly OK on my PIKO DCC controller (as do all my dcc locos)?

One odd thing happened when I just tried it. After no response with the 08 I added my 24 on the same track and changed loco to run to 5183. Although it started it wouldn't stop but kept moving slowly even though I had put the throttle to stop. I had to lift it off the track. I then took my 08 off and put my 24 back on and it ran OK (all DCC just in case of any query)....all very odd. I dont think the controller is faulty but there is definitely something wrong......help !!

• RMweb Gold

It's a Zephyr extra, model DCS51, with a PS314 power supply. I understand this is all I need for basic use?

The DCS51 is a very useful starter set, and can be expanded with boosters and throttles should you ever feel the need. Whatever the problem here, it is not about the command station capability.