A Highland Miscellany - a Gantry Signal Doing My Head In!

• 3 months later...

Whilst I have been busy with things rather larger than 4mm to 1ft (see herehttp://www.rmweb.co....n/page__st__100), I have managed to do a little modelling. Indeed, I started something new (don't you just love starting things?).

Once again I went to Missenden for their Spring Modeller's Weekend - and very good it was too (again, it is well worth going if you are tempted). I managed to get another smoothly running chassis, which I consider a big win as I do not find making truely smooth running chassis easy. This is what it looks like so far:

post-7769-0-04216400-1335812572_thumb.jpg

A slightly ugly duckling at this stage I am inclined to think? It will turn into, if not exactly a swan, at least a purposeful engine like this one:

post-7769-0-64908200-1335812668_thumb.jpg

(photo thanks to Ray Nolton) I reckon this is sitting high on its chassis by the way?

or if you would like to see a prototype picture; try here http://www.ambaile.o...id=51325&zoom=2

These were what tended to be called "Banking Tanks"; although their correct name is "39 Class" after the first of the class. They were designed for, and predominatly used to, bank trains up Drumochter - so both Aviemore and, particularly, Blair Atholl had a clutch each. Despite being slow moving brutes, the LMS classified them as passenger locos, so the old Highland men at Lochgorm painted them fully lined red. That is what I will be doing when the time comes.

This is the first locomotive that I have built using continious springy beams (CSBs). Once the dimensions were set up (and High Level do a neat jig for this), this was a breeze - I actually thought it was easier than either traditional springing or compensation. I still have some reservations about 4-4-0's/0-4-4's with CSBs, but other than these I am sold.

post-7769-0-07232900-1335812592_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

I have been provoked again to look at the water columns; which I had (and still do have) intentions to get some 3D prints done of.

post-7769-0-99404100-1340745817.jpg

This is the “type 2†column – which is infact the most common one in use. There were however a number of subtle differences in the design – not just features such as the length of the spurge pipe but whether they were operated from a separate stanchion and wheel or whether they worked from a pull rod. Indeed I have also determined that they had slightly different shapes of the cap and, particularly, the flaring/fluting at the base.

My father speculates that the Highland had the columns delivered in different batches; probably from different manufacturers with the phrase "match the one at Dunkeld/Pitlochry" (or whatever station came into their mind). The manufacturers did so but not that well and the differences crept in by accident over the years. This sounds plausible to me!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have flitted back to the banking tank, making some progress on the body.

The source of the kit is a very short lived firm, called "H.R. models". This is the only kit that they ever produced and even this had a relatively limited production run before the firm ceased trading. it is not perfect as a kit but it is not too bad - especially in comparison with Jidenco/Falcom Brass who at the usual source for the Highland's loco's (excepting Lochgorm who are better than either of these).

Thus the model is going together fairly fast - this represents only about 4 hours work from the previous pictures of it; I have done rather more since, but need to get the camera out again!

post-7769-0-01862800-1341778345_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I am already regretting my rather bold words that the HR Models kit was not too bad. This may be true of its etchings, but the castings that were provided with it are absolutely rubbish - they look as if they were created by Mr Blooby on his best blooby day out. Yuck, I suspect that I will throw either all of them away or all but one!

I have managed to find a dome that looks the part but will have to remind myself how to turn chimneys on the lathe again, as everything else will need to be fabricated.............

This is where we are at as of the moment:

post-7769-0-62189700-1342357645_thumb.jpg

post-7769-0-85337000-1342357718_thumb.jpg

I have also discovered that if you burnish brass and then take a picture of it, you get glare - sorry!

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

A little progress has been made with the Banking Tank since my last post, but with Summer House building, other modelling distractions, holidays and the 'orrid work thing, not as much as I would have liked!

This is where we are at; the cab roof largely done, most of the backhead/cab interior done and provision for the sound speaker/rear of the bunker sorted.

post-7769-0-49422500-1351854484.jpg

post-7769-0-70903300-1351854470.jpg

post-7769-0-03967700-1351854331.jpg

I do now have a couple of days off work, so hopefully we will get some more progress to show before too long.

PS sorry about the picture quality, taking pictures of brass models on a varnished ply background has proved to be foolish!

Edited by Portchullin Tatty
  • Like 10

Cheers Peter.

I was not familar with the SECR J class but I agree, the proportions are similar.

Both have a certain brutishness about them don't you think? Not classical looks to say the least but they look to have a purpose. I guess power for fast excelleration was the need for the SECR? The Highland wanted power to shove trains up the Big Hill (which is what they termed Drumochter)!

A bit more has been done since these were taken, I will post more photos tomorrow.

Adding the chimney and the bogie have utterly transformed this. Not least, it now looks like the real thing and not the rather ugly duckling that was forming before.

I mentioned previously that the castings that came with this kit were rubbish. I managed to find a dome from (I think) Crowline and I have stolen the chimney from a Falcon Brass Big Ben kit. One of the class did the same, hence I can do so but it will mean I have to turn up a chimeny for the Ben when it gets to its turn!

I have sprung the bogie, with an independant springing system to the bogie and a slide plate mount on the frames. The frames sat a tad deep, so I had to file them down a bit. I think this may be an error in the kit as the completed Banking Tank that I photographed on my layout also looked as if it was sitting high.

post-7769-0-05119700-1352044970.jpg

post-7769-0-56943900-1352044954.jpg

post-7769-0-72337900-1352044933.jpg

Next it will be pick ups; so that we can give it a proper test run.

• Like 12

• 1 month later...

The latest model I have been working on is a Highland Jones era tri composite. These just lasted into the LMS era and a couple received LMS numbers but it is not thought any were repainted into red. Certainly the LMS were a little horrified by some of what they inherited from the Highland by way of coaching stock and a lot was withdrawn quite quickly; with other group company's stock being cascaded into the highland main line services, to allow the better Highland stock to be released for secondary working.

As it went out for a test run on the Kent Area Group's Eridge mk2 last night, the camera came out....

post-7769-0-70938900-1356102518_thumb.jpg

These were called coupes on account of the end compartment only having one row of seats. The passengers could look out through the window at either the next vehical (and potentially the occupants of the next vehical if it too was coupe ended!) or the receding line. It is thought that when they were running next to the loco, the compartment was locked on safety grounds - exactly what is slightly defeating me!

post-7769-0-71827700-1356102528_thumb.jpg

This has been built from a Lochgorm Models kit. It is a little unusual in that the footboards run the whole way down the length of the body (so the bogies swing between them). This area has proved to be very tight and a fair amount of filing of the axle springs and hangers was required to get the appropriate movement. Next time I will install the solebars and footsteps a bit further out to give more clearance.

The coupe ends were faceted and where this meets the draw bar, the lower panels swept out to meet them. This gave them their nick name of "chariot ends". This was formed through the flexing of a sheet of brass and was less difficult than I anticipated.

• Like 9

I would have thought it would suit your Loch rather better?  Gordon Castle did not have vacuum break for example?

I take it you are aware of Pete Armstrong's blog on 7mm mostly highland modelling.  It is here if you have not http://petesnewworkshop.blogspot.co.uk/.  He is presently doing a Diagram 9 Lochgorm Models 6 wheeler which would also look good behind your Loch.

I would have thought it would suit your Loch rather better?  Gordon Castle did not have vacuum break for example?

I take it you are aware of Pete Armstrong's blog on 7mm mostly highland modelling.  It is here if you have not http://petesnewworkshop.blogspot.co.uk/.  He is presently doing a Diagram 9 Lochgorm Models 6 wheeler which would also look good behind your Loch.

Anything looks nice behind it Mark, even a rake of LMS coaches I had running last weekend!!!

Yes, I keep an eye on Pete's stuff. Very insperational.

Sandy

Taking advantage of the Christmas break and the fact that my out laws live in Braunton so have decided not to strap an outboard motor to their car and come and visit, I have been a signalling.   First up was the painting of twin arm lattice signal that I built earlier in the year (see post 47):

post-7769-0-10597400-1356567355_thumb.jpg

post-7769-0-81647200-1356567372_thumb.jpg

post-7769-0-87646300-1356567390_thumb.jpg

The Highland's signals tend to look a little strange because they did not paint the spectical plates in black, but this is the right colour scheme - i have a fair few photos (and a Society Livery Register) to confirm this.  It does look a little more normal when you put the spectical glazing in; not that I can find my packet of film at the moment!

I have also made a couple of ground signals.  These are pretty small and fiddly - only the lamp, post and small rectangular box will protrude above the baseboard.  All the rest is a mount that will enable me to retract the signal out of the baseboard for maintenance etc.  Thus this is about 18mm high only.

post-7769-0-80486700-1356567548_thumb.jpg

It has a difficult movement to make operate properly.  The lamp and the specitical plate rotates and the lever lifts - it took a bit of heath robinson like levers to both of these to work.

I also made a "Testomatic" inspired by Jon Fitness' versions.  Mine should be able to support the different types of bases that I am/propose to use.

post-7769-0-01410500-1356567864_thumb.jpg

But my real project for at least the first half of the Christmas break is a rather complicated three doll bracket signal.  The Highland rarely put more than one arm on a doll, so they had a number of multidoll signal all balanced of the main post (gantries were rare too).  I did not fancy the whitemetal finials as I am bound to bust them; so I have turned up some brass ones.

There is a lot to do on this, but this is where I am at:

post-7769-0-59502500-1356568006_thumb.jpg

post-7769-0-65405200-1356568023_thumb.jpg

As you can see, it is also very good for roastng marshmellows!

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Seeing the Banking Tank takes me back to Aberfeldy a OO layout by Dave Walker and a Sutherland kit of the said loco built by my father - it could pull a house down!

Dave then went O gauge with Laxford Bridge .... scatchbuilt Highland Coaches an d lots of wagons 

• RMweb Gold

As you can see, it is also very good for roastng marshmellows!

Silver soldered then Mark?!

Seriously delicious signals there Mark, they may well ensure that KB's starters get progressed (started in 1999 or earlier and seen in a previously published photo on my layout thread that I now can't find...).  Also impressed with the Banking Tank too.  I think I will try CSBs when I get round to my Jumbo - they look pretty straightforward but due to restricted clearances I will not be tempted for my K2 on the stocks at the mo.

Hope to catch up soon,

Gus

I think I will try CSBs when I get round to my Jumbo - they look pretty straightforward but due to restricted clearances I will not be tempted for my K2 on the stocks at the mo.

You are correct, I did not find the CSBs too difficult at all.  Sure they needed thinking about at an early stage as you must (well to maintain your sanity you must) drill the holes when the side frames are unattached but that is just foresight.  Once you have done this, suspension needs little further thought; just assembly.  I was dead chuffed with it - once it was assembled, it was all perfectly set up and ran really smoothly.

• RMweb Premium

. It is thought that when they were running next to the loco, the compartment was locked on safety grounds - exactly what is slightly defeating me!

I would have thought that a lump of loco coal hitting the plate glass window would be the reason, but does make you wonder why they built so many, and then locked them OOO...

Andy G

The bracket signal is making progress; although perhaps rather slower than intended - but hey, little moddling doesn't in my house!

This is where we are at present.

post-7769-0-32790500-1356886827_thumb.jpg

post-7769-0-71109800-1356886847_thumb.jpg

I have had to go backwards a bit and change the location of the elbows for transmitting the cable across the bracket.  I had assumed that they were attached to the main stringer but they are in fact on top of it.

These have just been finished which means that I just need to complete the handrail, fix a ladder that I can see I have bent and we can get this painted.  The arms are done waiting to go on the completed model.

Right, off to the work bench now...........................

post-7769-0-03692300-1356887138_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...