Creative Photography (Railway Related)

Ian J.

• RMweb Gold

Tunnel vision.

post-414-0-35718100-1506416638.jpg

45108 seen from the end of the platform at Bury Bolton Street approaching Bury EL Tunnel on 23rd September during the East Lancashire Railway's Autumn Diesel Gala.

40145 is stabled on the left between duties. 

• Like 10

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Lucky timing at Stratford, in East London.attachicon.gifP1060800.JPG

Still finding my way around RMweb, hence late reply to this post (only just "found" this thread tonight). Not sure if this falls in the "creative" category or the "lucky timing" category (probably the latter). It was taken on the DVLR in 2015. I was actually focusing on the different sized buffers. It wasn't until I viewed the photo later that I realised what appeared to be a "speeding" guards van between the two shunters. Not really speeding, just walking pace if that, but one of those happy coincidences, as the natural light level was so low the camera shutter took a couple of seconds to operate withe result of a blurred guards van.

Regards, Ian

post-32776-0-19875300-1508531910_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I'm not sure if this is creative enough for this thread, but here's a close-up of 3813 (together with 3801 - obviously out of the photo) departing Sydney Terminal with the "Western Endeavour" in 1970:

27433968993_4c065a97dd_b.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

Not sure how "creative" this photo is (I'll let you be the judge), again from the DVLR. A different view of a screw coupling and brake pipes - from above. An alternative to the more usual "side view" shot.

Regards, Ian.post-32776-0-36076200-1508852491_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What a crazy sign!

Wouldn't it be better to mark the doors that are unavailable - or are there more of them than are available???

Tony

I've seen those in the windows of the luggage area in HST power cars (which I think this example is, too), so I suspect it might be aimed at staff rather than passengers. But yes, puzzling to the average onlooker.

• RMweb Premium

What a crazy sign!

Wouldn't it be better to mark the doors that are unavailable - or are there more of them than are available???

Tony

I think these notices stem from an incident where the door locking mechanism on an HST failed resulting in the door opening in transit and being hit by another train. An inspection of other HSTs found similar potential faults with the result that all such (staff only access) doors were locked out of use until the faults had been rectified. To help staff, these notices were placed on the doors to indicate the door was available for use. I admit at first sight

the sign does appear to be a little odd to the passer-by, but it does convey the required "positive" message to staff.

I think there is a full report on the door incident on the Railway Archives site.

Regards, Ian.

• RMweb Premium

I think these notices stem from an incident where the door locking mechanism on an HST failed resulting in the door opening in transit and being hit by another train. An inspection of other HSTs found similar potential faults with the result that all such (staff only access) doors were locked out of use until the faults had been rectified. To help staff, these notices were placed on the doors to indicate the door was available for use. I admit at first sight

the sign does appear to be a little odd to the passer-by, but it does convey the required "positive" message to staff.

I think there is a full report on the door incident on the Railway Archives site.

Regards, Ian.

Further to my last post, the actual incident was at New Southgate 27 July 2008 (if you are interested in reading it), a bit further back in time than I remebered, doesnt' time fly!

Regards, Ian.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

One of my more inspired moments with the camera - all I had to do was wait for the lady to walk out of the steam, then press the button. The sunlight did the rest. This was at Norchard (Dean Forest Railway) on 12 December 2010.

- Richard.

post-14389-0-29849500-1514481462.jpg

• Like 3