Light Railway at Okehampton Camp Ranges

Hi all,

Back in the 80's I was doing my Duke of Edinburgh Bronze Award exped on Dartmoor and we started off at the camp ranges just south of Okehampton; on the ranges there was a light railway between some buildings and the butts. Does anyone know what gauge this was and what was actually used on this railway. If I can track down any pics or track plans it's possible this might make an interesting little diorama.

Thanks in advance

Kev

Thanks for that Shortliner, there were other files/links on the main website that gave me some idea of the layout. Might be one to consider for the future as a little diorama that can portray different periods depending on which figures and weapons are used.

Kev

Kev - this may help

http://www.dartmoor-...ampton_Camp.pdf

My guess is that the railway was either used to transport munitions from storage magazines to the firing points, or just possibly for mobile targets

It sounds like the arrangements at Shoreburyness and Lydd Ranges, both of which had/have rail-mounted targets. The latter has hosted an RCTS railtour, using Wickham trolleys.

I like the photo of Basil Fawlty setting the table in the Officers' Mess!

Hi all,

Back in the 80's I was doing my Duke of Edinburgh Bronze Award exped on Dartmoor and we started off at the camp ranges just south of Okehampton; on the ranges there was a light railway between some buildings and the butts. Does anyone know what gauge this was and what was actually used on this railway. If I can track down any pics or track plans it's possible this might make an interesting little diorama.

Thanks in advance

Kev

Hi Kev,

Do you mean Rowden Ridge Firing range ?

Cheers

Jan

The line was indeed to carry moving targets for gunnery practice, although I have never been there one of the senior members of the Plymouth Club used to go up regularly to maintain the rolling stock, he was a civilian fitter with the R E M E based at Coypool workshops in Plymouth.

I believe the basic layout was a simple circuit, and the motive power modified small Wickham trolleys, although there are stories of failure of the auto reversing gear (a simple trip switch actuated by a vertical rod attached to the track) causing some confusion.

Not too sure about the gauge but I believe it was two foot.

Wally

They are two lines listed in the IRS 14EL book that came out in 2006(I have not got the 15EL which came out last year) one is listed as 2'6" gauge with one Wkm loco, and the other one is listed as 600mm gauge with two Wkm locos but these are listed as OOU.

Archived