Wirral Finescale Railway Modellers

Using Railroad and Co for British Signalling - Pas deux

beast66606

• RMweb Gold

Ok, let's finish adding the routes for 104, 105, 106 and 107 signals (but no shunt on 107 yet)

Remember, all that's needed is to record the route by clicking on the start and end, RR will show the route it's using.

post-6662-0-20713200-1295384374_thumb.jpg

Two routes, "operated" to check all is Ok

post-6662-0-51695100-1295384375_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-95115200-1295384376_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-27096600-1295384378_thumb.jpg

There should now be 4 routes, all of which will work when clicked on. Notice how the points underneath the routes are changed without us having to do anything.

Every/Any one got this far ?

• RMweb Gold

It has to be said i am learning loads and i mean loads so i would just like to say thank you very much for taking the time to do this for everyone on here

Thanks Simon - it starts getting harder very soon :O

There should now be 4 routes, all of which will work when clicked on. Notice how the points underneath the routes are changed without us having to do anything.

Every/Any one got this far ?

All present and correct. I added some other routes too I hope I got them right - we'll see.

Thanks for everything so far.

• RMweb Gold

Ask away if you need assistance, it will get a lot more complicated !

Ok, time to get something useful happening.

We want the signals to clear when we set a route, so we will get them to (for the main signals) go to yellow when we clear the route, and red when we reset it.

Select the route and then open properties, go to operations and add the signal, click it to yellow, remove the lock setting.

Setting the yellow - the red is similar.

post-6662-0-06945100-1295545235_thumb.jpg

Testing the operation

post-6662-0-37391900-1295545040_thumb.jpg

I've added the yellow aspects for 104, 105 and 107 to complete this - for now. Don't worry about aspect control yet, we will step to green shortly.

post-6662-0-22428500-1295545602_thumb.jpg

Is everybody happy with the aspect sequence for colour lights ?

Remember PM me if you want the latest RailRoad lockings, I don't keep versions so you need to be quick if you want the current one !

Just in case anyone is wondering....

To set the red aspect you need to select the other operating state in the pull down menu in the operations tab. There is a highlighted and a non-highlighted route. The highlighted route is the one you set yellow and remove lock. The non-highlighted is the one you set the signal to red. Hope that helps...

• RMweb Gold

Just in case anyone is wondering....

To set the red aspect you need to select the other operating state in the pull down menu in the operations tab. There is a highlighted and a non-highlighted route. The highlighted route is the one you set yellow and remove lock. The non-highlighted is the one you set the signal to red. Hope that helps...

Spot on Andrew, I'm deliberately leaving things for you lot to discover, best way to learn (imho), I will of course assist if anyone gets stuck and wants to ask.

• RMweb Gold

Thanksfor making them accessible but, as you suspected, unfortunately they can't be opened by us cheapskates with SIlver :(

Are you licensed for Silver ? If not then download the Gold for now, then at least you can see what options it gives.

This aspect (pardon the pun) of RailRoad really annoys me, they've made custom images part of the Gold package which means if you aren't using a scheme that fits with their images (like British) you have to "Go for Gold" or suffer. We were stuffed the same way :angry:

• RMweb Gold

Welcome back "badge man" :)

I will do so and will continue with this tomorrow evening.

cheers Dave,

The badge was only cause we nearly killed a blue peter presenter :O i say nearly B) all in the name of tv of course :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

cheers

Simon

This aspect (pardon the pun) of RailRoad really annoys me, they've made custom images part of the Gold package which means if you aren't using a scheme that fits with their images (like British) you have to "Go for Gold" or suffer. We were stuffed the same way :angry:

I just looked up the price for Gold and nearly fell off my chair. :angry:

But we'll ignore that and continue with the lesson - look forward to the next installment.

• RMweb Gold

Ok, time for the next lesson.

Aspect changing.

For those who don't know the normal 3-aspect sequence of a colour light is Red -> Yellow -> Green

Red = stop, Yellow = next signal at Red, Green = next signal at Green or Yellow.

For this lesson I am concentrating on signal 106, it's a nice plain signal so will do for training purposes.

Hopefully you all have a diagram similar to mine above, and each time you click on the routes the various signals clear ? I'm concentrating on 104, 105, 106 and 107 signals and routes.

Here is a description of what we are going to do.

When we click the route button on 106, set the route and clear the signal to yellow.

Wehn we click the route button on 105, set the route and clear the signal to yellow, if signal 106 is showing yellow then it should step up to green.

So how do we acheive this ? various ways are available but I'm going to dive straight in and use the flagman, an incredibly powerful item. The flagman is triggered when something happens, he can have conditions applied and he can perform operations, the flagman is the most powerful item within RR.

Translating the description it becomes, when we click route 105 and the signal clears to yellow, trigger a flagman to change the aspect of signal 106.

Find him on the menu and add one, I normally group all my aspect control flagmen together but for a simple example like this I will put them geographically.

post-6662-0-51019800-1296070914_thumb.jpg

Give him a meaningful name - I use fmDescription when Description is a brief summary of his scope, in this case Green106

Next we add the trigger, that is when the trigger happens the flagman will react, for this flagman its 105 signal changing to yellow, add that as a trigger

post-6662-0-36557200-1296071063_thumb.jpg

Now what do we want him to do for us ? (for now the condition tab won't be used, but we will return to it later)

When the flagman has waved at us "triggered" we want 106 to go to green, make sure the operating state is highlighted (full colour), in the left hand drop down, select signals, and in the lower pane double click s106 to move it over to the operations pane, the signal will probably be on red so click it to change it to the correct aspect.

post-6662-0-73523500-1296071179_thumb.jpg

For completeness, when the flagman is not triggered we can reset the aspect to yellow, this covers the possibility of s105 being returned to danger - change the operating state and add 106 to yellow, remember to make sure it's yellow !

post-6662-0-21941100-1296071320_thumb.jpg

Click ok and give it a go.

post-6662-0-14324600-1296071486_thumb.jpg

An important thing to remember about flagman is the relaxed state (the one above which returns it to yellow) only does it's operations when it drops from triggered to not triggered. i.e. it does not automatically set the signal to yellow at the start of the session - does this bit make sense ?

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

see what you mean about it getting harder. Had me a bit confused till i re-read the bottom line on your post. I was just clicking the r105 and not the r106 as well :blink:

I know this may be jumping ahead but i'm guessing that you could set the fmGreen106 to highlight the route from s106 throught to s105???? or am i wrong??

cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold

I know this may be jumping ahead but i'm guessing that you could set the fmGreen106 to highlight the route from s106 throught to s105???? or am i wrong??

You're not wrong but I use the route to trigger / lock everything else - and it will soon become apparent why ;)

The next stage will be to add a simple button to toggle the auto 903 signal, then we can add the aspect control to the 3 parallel signals, and then ... solve the problems.

I'll leave it for a day or so to see if any questions appear.

I'll leave it for a day or so to see if any questions appear.

That all works fine, but if I leave the route from 105 set, and toggle the route from 106 to 105 off then back on it comes on as yellow not green. Is this right and is this something that gets sorted out further along the lesson?

• RMweb Gold

That all works fine, but if I leave the route from 105 set, and toggle the route from 106 to 105 off then back on it comes on as yellow not green. Is this right and is this something that gets sorted out further along the lesson?

Indeed - that's one of the issues to resolve ;)

Hi

This is the sequence I am gettting.

No route selected - s105 red and s106 yellow - flagman black

Route 105 selected - s105 yellow and s106 green - flagman red

Route 105 and r106 selected - s105 yellow and s106 yellow - flagman red

Deselect only r106 - s105 yellow and s106 red - flagman red

Deselect both r105 and r106 - s105 red and s106 yellow - flagman black

Select only r106 - s105 red and s106 yellow - flagman black

Archived