When did the GWR start painting the brake van handrails white ?

brian777999

When did the GWR start painting brake van handrails white ? I have photos taken in 1888 which show the handrails unpainted and I have photos taken in 1919 which show them painted. I suspect that they started doing it in 1904 when they changed to the 25 inch GW lettering but my books do not actually say.

Guest dilbert

I can't find an answer to your question. In the 3rd edition (1998) of GW Wagons, the subject of handrails is dealt with as follows:

• between 1904-1911, the lower handrail was extended to run along the entire cabin side, sometimes as a separate rail
  • circa 1913, ¾" gas pipe was used joined to the horizontal rail by right-angle pipe joints and appears to have started with dia AA13
  • final type occured with dia AA23 where angle brackets were used to fix the vertical & horizontal rails instead of pipe joints

I suspect that the practice of painting the handrails white started prior to 1918 as the changes were being made (note BIG assumption on my part).

Might be worth asking the question on the Yahoo gwr-elist group - John Lewis may be able to help out in this area... dilbert

"The handrails of goods brake vans were being painted white by 1922, this practise may have been started during the Great War." GWR Way, 2nd edition 2009 J Lewis et al, HMRS. I concur with this as Barry and Rhymney GBVs definitely did not have white handrails before the war, but did after. Now all I need is a few photos of Alexandra (Newport and South Wales) docks and Railway GBVs and I'll know what colour to paint their handrails.

It would seem that during the era I wish to depict (around 1906-1908) the handrails were not painted white. What is the latest photo that anybody can find with unpainted handrails ? This may help us to narrow it down rather than trying to find something in the text of a book.

Nothing to do with Brake vans, but if your modelling circa 1906, then there may have been one or two red liveried goods stock about according to http://www.gwr.org.uk/liverieswagonred.html

Dave Perkins on the same web site has a Dia AA16 model with non - white handrails.http://www.gwr.org.uk/galperkins6.html

But as these are rebuilds of the earlier 1886 10 Ton vans in 1919, it may be chancing it with no white hand rails.

Archived