OO Gauge Modern Image Terminus Plan

QRModeller

I'm not sure about the double slip in the fuelling / stabling area. Could you not move the refuelling point to the left of the cross-over, immediately adjacent to the oil / fuel depot? Effectively swapping the location of the refuelling point and the crossover in your original plan. This would mean that a loco refuelling on the top road would block your access for moving the TTA wagons into the oil / fuel depot, but this would be an infrequent move. It would also reduce the distance between the delivery and dispatch points thereby reducing the length of pipework etc. You would then just need to allow enough space between the refuelling point and the cross-over to allow locomotives to enter / exit the stabling area.

On another point, I assume that you have easy access to both front and back of the scenic area: otherwise 1.1 metre wide baseboards may present a problem.

Regards

David

• RMweb Premium

If you swung the station a little in the clockwise direction, you could have both a more flowing approach and more room to develop your stabling sidings:

post-6813-0-21581400-1351429156_thumb.gif

I like your revised stabling point and to me it seems as flexible as would be needed (or at any rate provided) for a moderately sized station like this. However, since at any time from the 1960s onward it would be dealing with many more DMUs than locos, it would be helpful to extend the sidings to hold say 3 or 4 cars. I'd also put a wash plant on the long headshunt on the left:

post-6813-0-00903900-1351429548.gif

I think you could even get away with a small maintenance shed on the back siding if you felt like it - as at Sheffield (see Mickey's posts on this thread).

• 4 years later...

Apologies if this is hijacking this thread or even if resurrecting a 5 year old thread is allowed.

This design really inspired me to draw up the 'dream' layout. 'Dream' as in a total hypothetical repurposing of my second bedroom which basically gives me a 12ft by 6ft space to work with although I am unlikely to achieve this due to a few reasons, we use the space, we have cats and the cost to build a British styled layout when living in Canada!

So overall I modified the above design to be a complete circle and it is N gauge. Access to the scenic area can be made from both sides, viewing would be from the bottom edge. I also anticipated the era to be late 80's early 90's, somewhere in the vicinity of south west of London. I kind of envisaged a hybrid of Reading, Basingstoke and the like. Some notes below:

• Added two mainlines entering from the left to create some variety, one 3rd rail, one not. I think this was suggested.
  • Made the curves shallow but decrease in radius once they pass under the dual carriageway scenic break. The mainline has the largest radii possible.
  • Retained the goods loop also but modified it to connect back to the station approach allowing for long freight trains to pass through.
  • The intention is to run full length trains such as HST's or 8/12 carriage EMU's which is achievable in the space as half the train is not seen when at the platform. Its really a half station with a building above as a scenic break. A retaining wall surrounds one side of the station with some buildings above it.
  • Changed the industry from cement to a speedlink inglenook type arrangement for some shunting fun plus added a run around loop.
  • Flipped the stabling sidings and a potential loco depot to make use of space better. Not overly happy with this section and needs some work.

This is probably cramming way too much in and has inaccuracies but I think it offers so much operating potential. I just wanted to put this here because maybe someone else can gain some inspiration from it. Feedback is always appreciated as long as I am not hijacking the original posters thread. So i guess I'm throwing it out there for some opinions!

post-32779-0-27804700-1507257274_thumb.png

Apologies if this is hijacking this thread or even if resurrecting a 5 year old thread is allowed.

This design really inspired me to draw up the 'dream' layout. 'Dream' as in a total hypothetical repurposing of my second bedroom which basically gives me a 12ft by 6ft space to work with although I am unlikely to achieve this due to a few reasons, we use the space, we have cats and the cost to build a British styled layout when living in Canada!

So overall I modified the above design to be a complete circle and it is N gauge. Access to the scenic area can be made from both sides, viewing would be from the bottom edge. I also anticipated the era to be late 80's early 90's, somewhere in the vicinity of south west of London. I kind of envisaged a hybrid of Reading, Basingstoke and the like. Some notes below:

• Added two mainlines entering from the left to create some variety, one 3rd rail, one not. I think this was suggested.
  • Made the curves shallow but decrease in radius once they pass under the dual carriageway scenic break. The mainline has the largest radii possible.
  • Retained the goods loop also but modified it to connect back to the station approach allowing for long freight trains to pass through.
  • The intention is to run full length trains such as HST's or 8/12 carriage EMU's which is achievable in the space as half the train is not seen when at the platform. Its really a half station with a building above as a scenic break. A retaining wall surrounds one side of the station with some buildings above it.
  • Changed the industry from cement to a speedlink inglenook type arrangement for some shunting fun plus added a run around loop.
  • Flipped the stabling sidings and a potential loco depot to make use of space better. Not overly happy with this section and needs some work.

This is probably cramming way too much in and has inaccuracies but I think it offers so much operating potential. I just wanted to put this here because maybe someone else can gain some inspiration from it. Feedback is always appreciated as long as I am not hijacking the original posters thread. So i guess I'm throwing it out there for some opinions!

Its more 1970s than modern image.   Spray 90% of it with static grass to get the 1980s feel and just leave 2 platforms in use.

Operationally its not good, you have acres of track yet simultaneous arrivals from the two routes are not possible nor are simultaneous departures. Simultaneous departures always look good as the trains run parallel at slightly different speeds.   The bay looks entirely useless.   Most bays are on the departure side, local trains arrive at through platforms and go again after a minute or so but bays are usually provided for departures.   Not invariably, Exeter St Davids is an example but that is a very long bay

The loco sidings would be an absolute nightmare to shunt, how do you get the loco at the buffers off shed with a one loco long headshunt,  My loco siding headshunt is longer than the loco sidings so I can get the last loco on and off shed by moving the whole string and it looks good.

I suggest you run your finger around the tracks, plot where the trains will run and identify the pinch points.  The layout I designed 30 odd years ago took a year to design, with a 4 platform plus bay late 1950s through station and junction went through many iterations but apart from small revisions to re route a branch down the garden has worked well ever since, even allowing some parallel arrivals, so just tweak a few things to make it more operator friendly

• RMweb Premium

A suggestion.

The sketch below is drastically simplified from the west end of Reading station as shown in the 1989 Quail, but retains some interesting features such as a reversible through line and turning round inter-regional trains, as well as a number of parallel movements. There's a single goods line to which you can add reception roads and sidings to taste and a (prototypical) connection to a TMD in the angle of the main lines.

Platform 6 is drawn dashed as I think you could probably leave it out without losing much operationally, or you could make it the goods line and have just the two main lines west of the station. BTW the platform numbering is my own and not prototypical.

Cross-country trains reverse in platform 4. Siding S1 is relocated from the prototype's platform 9, where it looks like it might have been used to hold a turnover loco. Someone who knew the station will no doubt clarify whether this was the case, but it would make for interesting working on the model anyway.

The restricted connection from platform 1 is as per the prototype.

post-6813-0-06993300-1507310244_thumb.jpg

I agree with the point made above.  There seems to five track to the left and five tracks to the right, but there are only two passenger lines through the centre.  This will therefore be the principal constraint with regards operation of through services and as noted, simultaneous departures are not possible.

I see no way for Speedlink trains from the mainlines to the left to access the yard.  The bay isn't really long enough to be the way into the yard from the left.  As such, all freight would have to be from the branch line to the left and from the right.

With regards stabling facilities, 1970s/80s would have had stabling for locomotives and coaches, but by the 1980s/90s I'd expect there to be less need for loco stabling facilities and more need to stable DMUs. Unfortunately, you won't get a DMU into the stabling / refuelling point because the head-shunt is too short.

A suggestion.

The sketch below is drastically simplified from the west end of Reading station as shown in the 1989 Quail, but retains some interesting features such as a reversible through line and turning round inter-regional trains, as well as a number of parallel movements. There's a single goods line to which you can add reception roads and sidings to taste and a (prototypical) connection to a TMD in the angle of the main lines.

Platform 6 is drawn dashed as I think you could probably leave it out without losing much operationally, or you could make it the goods line and have just the two main lines west of the station. BTW the platform numbering is my own and not prototypical.

Cross-country trains reverse in platform 4. Siding S1 is relocated from the prototype's platform 9, where it looks like it might have been used to hold a turnover loco. Someone who knew the station will no doubt clarify whether this was the case, but it would make for interesting working on the model anyway.

The restricted connection from platform 1 is as per the prototype.

attachicon.gifle_harv_1.jpg

That's more like it.   On the Quail map to the left of this bit there is a curve from the lower right main line to the middle right main line at Reading so Basingstoke (south) to Didcot (west /north) freights don't need to reverse in the station and most cross country if not all bypassed this station in steam days anyway using another station, Reading West? instead.

re your "cement unloading paraphanalia " worked at miles platting box which placed collyhurst street stone terminal right opposite us this consisted of a runround loop with two sidings over some drops for the agregate to fall through the bottom doors of the hoppers similar to coal drops agrragate was then redistributed onto lorrys /storage area by a digger with a very large bucket should be fairly simple to model ?

Archived