Border Counties Railway

'CHARD

Funny you should say that Roy, as I've got photos somewhere of them being refurbished ... my Dad and a mate took them around 1978-9 when they were on a WR & BCR mission! I guess it may well have been some of your family they bumped into / asked permission?! What a small world!

Not my family, they wre/were mainly Copshaw, Riccarton, Hawick. My wife's family but still, small world as you say.

roygraham

• 4 weeks later...

Apologies if this has already been mentioned elsewhere but I see that a new book on the Border Counties line is due for publication in a few weeks time.

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Hexham-Hawick-Roger-Darsley/9781908174086

It is part of the series that has already covered Carlisle to Hawick and Hexham to Carlisle. Personally, I hope the book includes some previously unseen pictures. One for the Christmas list?

Apologies if this has already been mentioned elsewhere but I see that a new book on the Border Counties line is due for publication in a few weeks time.

http://www.bookdepos...y/9781908174086

It is part of the series that has already covered Carlisle to Hawick and Hexham to Carlisle. Personally, I hope the book includes some previously unseen pictures. One for the Christmas list?

Yes, it does include some Previously unpublished photos but still no picture of Plashetts S.B. or Howford E.S.

roygraham

• 3 weeks later...

Oh wow, if that's where I think it is, then there's no way Google Earth or Old Maps can do it justice. I'll need to reach for some resource with serious contours in. There's also a uniqueness about that landscape which speaks volumes about socio-industrial history. Breathtaking.

Hehehehe, sorry Dave, I should've clarified that! Spent ages on Old Maps the other week looking at the mining lines, after Disused Stations' gen landed, quite ambitious schemes fed the BCR hereabouts, and there are remains worthy of exploration IIRC.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

What Motive power would have been seen on the BCR from about 1945-51? Just layout research.

I can do numbers but I need to check against dates and appropriate classes and home sheds. I'm fairly sure the standard works are a decent starting point, which may provide pictorial evidence of certain locos from which we can then extrapolate.

I won't have access to the texts until much later, but once I have I'll happily do a wee bit teccy work.

What Motive power would have been seen on the BCR from about 1945-51? Just layout research.

There is a good selection of pictures in Neil Caplan's Border Country Branchline album, mostly final days but it will give the overall impression of motive power on the route and in the area.The book can be picked up second hand for less than £10.

Colin

Ian Futers wrote several articles on the border branches way way back. He also wrote a letter to one of the mags with a list of locos known to have worked the line. His email address should be fairly easy to find.

I would suggest you contact him or find the mags.

I will try to look up various lists that I have over the weekend.

Bernard

Neil caplans Border counties branchline book photo graphically records

Scott Class D30 62422 62425

J21 65110 65090 65042 65061

J39 64705

K1 62023 62022

V3 67687

Std 3MT 77011

Std 4MT 2-6-0 76049 76046

J27 and D49 recorded elsewhere

Guest Max Stafford

D49/2s 62747 'The Percy' and 62771 'The Rufford' were also regulars on the line.

Dave.

Most of the locos quoted so far only appear right at the end of your period.

In the first few post war years it would seem that a large proportion of the services were hauled by D30 and J36 locos.

Photos from this period are not so common as in later years.

Hawick locos were subsheded at Riccarton Junction for the BCR services.

1950 allocation at Hawick.

D30

62440 Now where have I come across that number !

J36

Bernard

Archived