Bending a prototype track plan to fit a smaller space

• RMweb Gold

Following a suggestion from Richard Jones yesterday:

http://85a.co.uk/for...orum_id=6#p9824

I have been having fun with maths today as a change from the battle of wits with the Templot sketchboard. smile.gif

The idea is to curve a scanned prototype map track plan so that it can be fitted into a smaller space and used as a background guide for track planning in Templot.

It worked out quite well and could be very useful.

Here is the control template on an S-curve transition representing the desired running line for the model in the available space. And a scanned track plan imported into a picture shape, which clearly won't fit that space as it stands:

2_191552_340000003.png

The actual position of the picture shape is immaterial, because we are going to curve it and align it over the control template. On older systems there's time to make a quick cup of tea while Templot does its stuff, and here's the result:

2_191552_300000001.png

You can see that I set the curving offset to match the up running line, and the scaling and curving has matched very well:

2_191552_260000000.png

Of course, it won't be possible to copy the curved track plan exactly. A prototypical curved goods shed is going to be very hard to find. smile.gif The tracks would have to be adjusted to allow a straight run through the shed:

2_191552_380000004.png

But as a "get you started" background guide this looks a promising method. The control template can be set up to any desired alignment to create the curving line. In practice this example is perhaps a bit extreme, and a more gently curving line would be more practical.

Another idea would be to design a Templot track plan on the straight, and export it as an image file. You could then try curving the whole thing to various radii and alignments, before re-working it on the chosen alignment.

wrap8.png

Full details about using this feature are at:

http://templot.com/companion/index.html?wrap_picture_shape_to_curve.htm

Many thanks again to Richard for this idea.

regards,

Martin.

• 4 months later...

Hi Martin.

This looks really useful and maybe just what I need.

I'm just about to start a roundy round layout in a very modest space (10'x9') and have come to the conclusion that the only way to get a way from the straight, bend, straight format you seem to end up with using 'off the shelf' pointwork is to have a go at making my own pointwork.

I've been reading some of the threads in this forum and it looks like 'Templot' might be the way forward for me. However I've not been having much success in trying to download and register a copy. The site has been down for maintenance recently and now it's back up there doesn't seem to be copy for download available.

Can you help?

Ray.

• RMweb Gold
I've been reading some of the threads in this forum and it looks like 'Templot' might be the way forward for me. However I've not been having much success in trying to download and register a copy. The site has been down for maintenance recently and now it's back up there doesn't seem to be copy for download available.

Hi Ray,

I'm sorry -- you have asked at an unfortunate time. Templot is not currently available to new users. The paid-for versions have been withdrawn. In a few weeks time I shall be releasing Templot-2 which will be free for non-commercial use, but will require an internet connection on the system.

If you care to join the Templot Club forum at http://85a.co.uk/forum/ I may be able to get you going sooner by giving you a free copy of the Templot Development Version (TDV), although be warned that it comes with a lot of the help docs still missing and some bits unfinished.

regards,

Martin.

Hi Ray,

I'm sorry -- you have asked at an unfortunate time. Templot is not currently available to new users. The paid-for versions have been withdrawn. In a few weeks time I shall be releasing Templot-2 which will be free for non-commercial use, but will require an internet connection on the system.

If you care to join the Templot Club forum at http://85a.co.uk/forum/ I may be able to get you going sooner by giving you a free copy of the Templot Development Version (TDV), although be warned that it comes with a lot of the help docs still missing and some bits unfinished.

regards,

Martin.

Hi Martin.

Thanks for your very prompt reply. I've joined the Templot Club as suggested but don't seem to be able to post at present, I guess it takes time to register. I'll try again in the morning.

Ray.

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

That was 5 years ago. Here's some up-to-date Templot info:

http://templot.com/companion/wrap_picture_shape_to_curve.html

from which:

Often a scaled prototype track plan is too large to fit your available layout space, usually because it is too long and mostly straight. Templot can distort the scanned image of such a track plan by wrapping it onto a curve, so that it will fit your space and can then be used as a background guide for your track planning.

1. preparing the image:

There are two ways to display a scanned image on the Templot trackpad. It can be added as a picture shape as part of the background shapes functions; or it can be shown as a sketchboard item.

Either way can be used as a guide for track planning, but for this wrapping function the image must be added as a picture shape.
Here we have a scanned map of Corfe Castle station which I added as a picture shape:

wrap1.png

The position of the picture shape on the trackpad doesn't matter because the wrapping function will be changing it. But it should be correctly scaled to your current model scale.

The intention is to fit a model based on Corfe Castle into the corner of a room. This will be the result of wrapping the image onto the corner curve, now ready to have the remaining tracks aligned over it:

wrap14.png

Although this wrapping function can if necessary flip or mirror an image, or turn it the other way round (rotate it 180 degrees), I suggest that you do all that beforehand in a graphics editor program such as PaintShopPro or IrfanView. Otherwise it is too easy to make mistakes and produce unexpected results. Start with the image displayed on the trackpad already suitably oriented for your intended track planning, as above.

If you want to try it, this original image file is on Templot Club forum at Corfe Castle scan . It is 300dpi resolution and 1:2500 scale. Thanks to Neil Berrington for the scan.

2. straightening the running line:

The wrapping process takes place in two stages. Before the image can be wrapped onto the final curve, it must first be straightened along the desired running line.

To do this the running line is defined by aligning the control template over it. This control template is not part of your track plan, it is a dummy template used only for this wrapping function:

wrap3.png

The control template should be a left-hand template running from left to right across the image. The easiest way to confirm this is to insert a turnout in it, as above. This will have no affect on the wrapping function which uses the main-road centre-line only. Running from left to right means that is the facing direction for the turnout, with the CTRL-0 datum position on the left, as above.

If the above conditions do not apply, the wrapped image will be inverted or mirrored. Which may be what you want, but it will likely need some trial and error to get exactly what you intended.

The entire running line must be defined by a single template. This can usually be achieved by using a transition curve, possibly combined with a slew. This one above is a long S-curve transition, which has matched the map quite well:

wrap4.png

If the running line can't be defined with a single template, it will be necessary to split the image into two or more picture shapes, and wrap each one separately.

For more information about aligning templates over a background image see the swell mouse action to create dummy templates, and the make transition function to link them with a transition curve.

When you are satisfied with the template alignment, zoom in and slide the peg along to coincide with the left edge of the image (CTRL-F8 or 8-key mouse action):

wrap5.png

Leaving the peg there, zoom in on the far end of the template and shorten it so that the end of the centre-line coincides with the far edge of the image (F4 mouse action):

wrap6.png

So that the end result is:

wrap7.png

At this stage you may want to store this template as unused ( [ main > store as unused ] menu item), or park it ( [ do > parking bay > park template ] menu item) so that you can retrieve it again later if you need to re-try the wrapping function. And also save the BGS file for this picture shape ( [ save all as... ] button on the background shapes dialog).

Now on the background shapes dialog select the picture shape in the list. Then click the [ modify shape ] tab and then the [ straighten along the control template... ] button:

wrap8.png

You will then be asked about banding. Click the white bar [ more information ] to read the notes:

wrap9.png

Or for the present tutorial click the green bar to [ straighten entire image ] and continue. After a confirmation dialog and a short wait while Templot does the calculations, this will be the result:

wrap10.png

The dummy control template is now straight with the running line in the image aligned along it. The previous control template has been stored as a background template so that you can easily retrieve it if necessary, otherwise you may prefer to delete it as no longer needed.
At this stage it would be wise to save another BGS file now with the modified picture shape.

3. wrapping onto a curve:

Here is the railway room with an outline of the intended layout.

Again, the control template should run left to right with the CTRL-0 datum on the left. If necessary click the [ template > swap end-for-end ] menu item (CTRL-N) to achieve this.

Slide the peg along the control template (CTRL-F8 or 8-key mouse action) to the required position for the left edge of the image after wrapping. This may require some trial and error to get a happy result, so before proceeding be sure to save a BGS file to which you can revert if necessary:

wrap11.png

Now on the background shapes dialog select the picture shape in the list. Then click the [ modify shape ] tab and then the [ wrap along the control template... ] button:

wrap12.png

This dialog will then show. For an image which has been straightened, Templot has already calculated the wrapping offset dimension, and you should normally leave it unchanged:

wrap13.png

After a confirmation dialog and a short wait while Templot does the calculations, this will be the result:

wrap14.png

Zooming in, you can see that the map image has been closely aligned to the control template. The remaining tracks can now be added using the map as a background guide:

wrap15.png

If you are happy with the result, remember to save a final BGS file with the wrapped picture shape.

Finally here are a couple of sketchboard views:

wrap16.png

wrap17.png

Martin.

Archived