Ruston 48DS in 7mm

48DS shunters under construction, 1957. The brackets appear to be only for the radiator and not, as I said, also for the fan. Not on the 4YCL engine anyway.

post-494-0-21623200-1375371696_thumb.jpg

Photo - Ruston & Hornsby Ltd.

I just zoomed in on that pic as far as my laptop will let me, and I still can't see if its solid or not - but from what little I do know of such construction the idea of rubber blocks acting as a damper makes a lot of sense to me

Looks like that's in reply to my post that I removed because I was talking absolute b******s. There's no rubber block, just a strengthening plate.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I was talking to Karl Garin models at Shepshed today, he has the rights to the old Impetus kits. Apparently he can supply some of the etches for the kits, including the 48DS, he promised to send me a list of what's available. I'll post details when received.

Also he has had a correct 2'6" wheel for the 48DS made by Slaters, these are a 4-hole disc and are Ref 7830R at £13 per pair inc axle. So this overcomes the problem of the Electrifrying Trains kit having the wrong wheel size, and also being able to get a more reasonably priced kit.

Dava

• RMweb Gold

Evening Dave,

These Ruston's are a favourite of mine and your model captures the prototype well.

It's been good to read through this thread and see what perseverance you've gone through to achieve such a beautiful model.

Think one of your videos may be in order. ;)

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Can he also supply etches for the 88DS?

I'll let you know when I hear from him, I recall this was the intention but maybe not currently available.

• RMweb Premium

Richard at Karlgarin Models 'skippy@karlgarin.com' has confirmed that etches from the following Impetus kits can be supplied.

"The kits previously available are listed below. I think I have etches for all except the two Hunslets, the 04 Tram conversion and the Y10, though I should have more of the latter in a month or so. However, as I mentioned, some of the castings are unavailable, which may or may not be a problem for you, depending on what you are interested in.

Ruston 48DS Diesel

Ruston 88DS Diesel

Ruston 165DE 0-6-0 PWM Diesel

Sentinel LNER/BR Y10 Tram

Sentinel 100HP Post-War

Sentinel LMS/BR

Bagnall Standard 16” 0-6-0ST

Stephen Lewin  0-4-0WT

Hunslet 15” 0-6-0ST

Hunslet 16” 0-6-0ST

Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0ST

Simplex GWR/BR

Simplex LNER/BR

Fowler 0-4-0 Diesel

Drewry/BR Class 04  0-6-0 Diesel Tram conversion

Manning Wardle K class 0-6-0ST"

I've asked about prices for the Rustons and LMS/BR (ie the Industrial 100HP type) Sentinel but not heard back from him yet. So the 48 & 88Ds are available.

Dava

• RMweb Premium

I'm only interested in 7mm and Karlgarin didn't seem too interested in 4mm either or in the quality of the Impetus models in that scale, but you can contact him.

Dava

However, as I mentioned, some of the castings are unavailable, which may or may not be a problem for you

It certainly is a problem and AFAIC renders the etches useless.

Some of us have a different opinion on the quality of the 4mm kits - but there again without castings they not of any value.

It certainly is a problem and AFAIC renders the etches useless.

Some of us have a different opinion on the quality of the 4mm kits - but there again without castings they not of any value.

I don't consider it a huge problem. Castings on both the 48DS and 88DS Impetus kits were minimal IIRC. I've not built an Impetus 48DS but it can't be much different to the one in this thread. I have built the 88DS in 4mm and the main thing would be the axleboxes/chain tensioners but it's not beyond the wit of man to knock something up and have it repeated as a resin casting. There was an air horn too but I'm sure that's an item that will be readily available.

Then again in 4mm why bother when there's the Judith Edge kit complete with everything you need and superior etches to boot? Now as there's no 88DS available in 7mm it's definitely worthwhile.

I have built the 88DS in 4mm and the main thing would be the axleboxes/chain tensioners but it's not beyond the wit of man to knock something up and have it repeated as a resin casting.

If that was so easy everyone would be doing it (no doubt it is for some, and just like building from scratch it has a certain appeal to some in the hobby. But I would argue the majority want a kit to contain the component parts and not have the "excitement" of seeking out near fits from alternate (possibly gone out of business) suppliers. If it was so simple then why not simply supply them as a part of the kit?

But I guess as far as the prototypes on that list that are already in the JE range I agree why bother the JE kit will be of better design (more modern) but not everything on that list is in the JE range so there is potential lost.

In addition given the ease of converting 7mm to 4mm CAD and running off new etches and 3D "castings" it is difficult to see why not. The 4mm market must still be bigger than 7mm even if the prices can be inflated for 7mm because the buyers will tolerate it.

• 1 year later...
Guest Isambarduk

It's been a while, any progress or update of information that might help to decide whether to 'invest' in a current kit from Electrifying Trains?   David

Archived