Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

Photo
- - - - -

Spinners End

• Please log in to reply
215 replies to this topic

#126 Removed a/c_Jim Read

Removed a/c_Jim Read

• Guests

Posted 10 July 2012 - 21:41

Hello Mike,

Those wagons look absolutely great I'd love to know where you got the transfers from.

Jim

Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

#127 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationSolihull

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:57

Hello Mike,

Those wagons look absolutely great I'd love to know where you got the transfers from.

Jim

Hi Jim, the transfers are some old Model Masters applied letter by letter and set with Solvoset. The Constable Hart wagon's tarmacadam and Brierley Hill in 8 point are labels which were coloured the same as the wagon on the computer and printed. The edges were then painted with the body colour and the whole wagon sprayed with Matt Varnish from Army Painter.
Mike

#128 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationSolihull

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:57

Well today is mostly about vans and tweaking my B4 (ex Stewarts and Lloyds), photos to follow.
Mike

#129 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationSolihull

Posted 15 July 2012 - 14:41

My B4 0-4-0 Dock Tank ex Southern Railway purchased 2nd hand in 1949. 5 of these saw service at Stewart and Lloyds until 1953. I have massaged the history as per usual and had the loco transferred to Round Oak and the Earl of Dudley's system. The loco is built from an ABS kit powered by a mashima 1833 through a 30:1 gear box and fitted with plunger pick-ups.
B4.3.jpg

B4.4.jpg

B4.1.jpg

Oh and and some vans

P7150006.JPG

P7150007.JPG

Mike happily bodging in the shed.
  • Like x 2

#130 SonOfMike

SonOfMike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationSolihull

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:47

Liking the new open spectacle plate with the fire iron through it :)

#131 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationSolihull

Posted 18 July 2012 - 17:27

Today has been all about building bits and bobs, loading gauge and a warning stop for the traverser. Nothing really exciting.
Mike

#132 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationSolihull

Posted 19 July 2012 - 15:53

Just finishing off my Manning Wardle L class 0-6-0ST (1923). The body is only resting on the chassis as I shall be adding some additional weight to it. The Driver is obviously expecting trouble as he is holding a large spanner presumably to give some part a good whack. The actual loco was named Winston Churchill rather than my choice of name Albion. The loco has been built from an Agenoria Kit powered by a Mashima Motor and fitted with wiper pick-ups.L1.1.jpg
L1.2.jpg
Mike - bodging in Solihull.
  • Like x 2

#133 N15class

N15class

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,374 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 19 July 2012 - 19:10

I do like these little M&W tanks. You have done a lovely job of this one. I am surprised to see it without the usual M&W wheels.

#134 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationSolihull

Posted 19 July 2012 - 19:48

I do like these little M&W tanks. You have done a lovely job of this one. I am surprised to see it without the usual M&W wheels.

By 1961 the wheels of this loco appear to be as modelled.
Mike
  • Like x 1

#135 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationSolihull

Posted 22 July 2012 - 16:08

Today has been all about buckets, fire irons, warning boards , adding grass clumps to fill in a few holes and a loading gauge. The Manning Wardle is now finished and runs like a sewing machine.
Mike

#136 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationSolihull

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:17

Bucket and fire iron now on the Manning Wardle.
manning wardle.a.jpg

Mike currently tidying the workbench, now that's a first.
  • Like x 4

#137 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationSolihull

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:38

A complete change of tack or should that read track? After reading a very informative article on the Gauge 0 Guild forum by Mike Sheardown on modifying Peco Points I have decided to have a go. I have a right hand 0 gauge point in stock which has that really obtrusive switch assembly molding next to the tie bar. I have modified the frog as per the article,(no more wheel drop) removed the switch molding which has resulted in rebuilding three sleepers, just waiting for a new tie bar from C&L to complete the exercise. Photo to follow.

Mike, now with a tidy work bench.

#138 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationSolihull

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:35

Well what a nice surprise Spinners End is in the August Gauge 0 Gazette.
Mike :O

#139 Matloughe

Matloughe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationIlfracombe

Posted 02 August 2012 - 19:25

Am just reading it now - fantastic article. With a selection of photos that illustrate not only how deceptively simple the track plan is - but also how much operational interest you have in the given spaces and an incredible eye for detail to make the entire scene 'just right'.

~ Gary

#140 SonOfMike

SonOfMike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationSolihull

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:55

Well what a nice surprise Spinners End is in the August Gauge 0 Gazette.
Mike :O

Makes a change from you being in the Police Gazette though mate ;)
  • Like x 1

#141 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationSolihull

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:27

Had an uninvited guest arrive in the shape of the dreaded electrical short bug! Thank goodness the layout folds in half and I can work on the underside whilst seating down and not scrabbling underneath. The irony of it all is that the short was on the top of the layout so having pulled prodded, unsoldered, re-soldered the culprit turned out to be a bridged gap on a copper-clad sleeper on one of the points, fine one-way short the other, now fixed. I have also been playing around with information sheets that will be added to the front fascia, the map of the area is already done, but then I thought lets have a ticket to ride, already clipped by the Guard.
spin ticket.jpg
Cheers
Mike- bug remover. :triniti:

#142 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationSolihull

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:02

Looking at the pictures of the layout in the Gazette, the ground frame is pretty poor so its about to go. I have just started a Lasercraft Llantsantffraid Box which has a very small footprint so it won't occupy much more space than the ground frame it will replace. I'll post some pictures over the weekend.
Mike - back to bodging in the shed. :scratchhead:

#143 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationSolihull

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:15

The new box for Spinners End:-
signal box1.jpg
signal box2.jpg
Mike happily bodging in Solihull
  • Like x 6

#144 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationSolihull

Posted 25 August 2012 - 13:52

Bits and bobs on the work bench, E&D stores wagon and reworked Peco Point (modified V and check rails)
P8250001.JPG
P8250001.JPG
P8250003.JPG
P8250005.JPG
Thank you for viewing
Mike, bodging away in the shed. :stinker:

Attached Thumbnails

• P8250002.JPG

• Like x 3

#145 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationSolihull

Posted 28 August 2012 - 19:21

Oh joy upon joys, playing trains with 0-4-0's, tomorrow it will be the turn of the 0-6-0's and peace will reign supreme. Still not happy with the lighting so a re-think is needed, curtains in the capable hands of SWBO once finished they will be fireproofed.
Mike one happy bunny. :boast:

#146 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationSolihull

Posted 30 August 2012 - 17:50

There are good days and there bad days and sometimes however few there Eureka days,well today has been a EUREKA day!!!!!! Have finally sorted the lighting, Hooray. The criteria set was that it had to be simple, foolproof, easily transportable and set up and of course in my case idiot proof. I really do think that I have achieved same, its robust, simple just like me and it works. Photos to follow.
Mike, smug so and so in Solihull :sungum:

#147 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationSolihull

Posted 02 September 2012 - 13:16

"Lights, camera, action", well just lights really. Here is my take on a very simple lighting rig that I can handle on my own should I have no other operators for the layout.
lighting 1.jpg
lighting 2.jpg
lighting 3.jpg
I hadn't set the lights at their optimum angle this was just a " do they work" moment in an unlit garage.
Mike :drag:
  • Like x 2

#148 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationSolihull

Posted 06 September 2012 - 20:43

Today has been mostly about display boards " he said tongue in cheek", When I say display board what I actually mean is an add on to the front panel of the fiddle yard. It now requires painting and the the information scribbles added. Hey Ho, life doesn't get better than this.
Mike.

#149 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationSolihull

Posted 09 September 2012 - 15:08

Not the best of photos but here's the Earls only Brake Van which was used only on Passenger traffic. Why it was numbered No 4. I really don't know I can only surmise that it was a sort of one-upmanship suggesting to all that he had more than just one.
Brake Van.jpg
Mike bodging in Solihull
  • Like x 1

#150 Derbys65

Derbys65

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:29

Love the signal box! , might have to invest in one :) . Any close ups of it in situ on layout? , and are u lighting it at all or doing anything else with it.
Congrats on a great layout .