Spinners End

Mike

Just started the small removable add-on to the front of the coal siding so that I can at least have the coal staithes that are missing. I have also got rid of the loading gauge from this siding as it seemed completely out of place as van traffic is handled in the station. The winter project will definitely be Saltwells Colliery, this will be a simple pit head with an 0-9mm narrow gauge line to a loading bank, standard gauge sidings and through track. I have a load of interesting pictures one of which shows a winding house with the winding drum on the outside. The coal in the area was quite near the surface the deep mine being Baggeridge. On this project I will have the assistance of Number 1 son who will be entrusted to construct some of the buildings a task that can be carried out away from the layout. However, no real work to start this weekend as it's my Father-in-laws 100th birthday on the 21st and its a big party.

Mike :dancer:

• 2 weeks later...

Somewhat neglected to add any updates but all is not lost. I have been busy tweaking locos and stock, completing a wheel cleaning track and generally being Mr efficient ( Ha Ha ). I have nearly completed my add-on shelf thingy to the front of the siding which includes the coal staithes/Photos by the weekend, honest Guv.

Mike :jester:

Reasons to be cheerful part three. I have been adding ground cover, a building and an electrical supply pole to the removable add-on shelf. I have also been modifying a canvas topped humber into a short pick-up truck, currently in the painting stage and having found a figure which unfortunately had lost an arm ( no jokes about it being harmless) I have made the missing limb and the figure is ready for painting. So Photos later today or at the latest Sunday.

Mike :jester:

Well although its still not finished here is the add-on shelf thingy. It has been designed to clip on to the front of the coal siding via two key hole slots and will be removed when in transit.

The pick-up still needs weathering its has new headlights, wing mirrors and numberplate's. I'll photo the thingy when its attached to the layout so that you get a better idea.

ps. The figure is the new arm man.

post-185-0-66208400-1352046064.jpg

post-185-0-71280700-1352046131.jpg

Mike

Layout now packed away ready for Warley,track cleaned, locos tested and wheels cleaned and all couplings checked for alignment. I have just started scratch building a Sentinel and converting a propriety loco into a small diesel shunter , photos of the builds soon..

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Warley Contrasts:- Saturday Well today didn't go to well at least not until around 16.00 when just about everything went really well. The major problem was a dodgy barrier in front of the layout which when trying to assist a visitor caused me to fall almost full length against and across the layout. I managed to break detailing on the add-on unit, a wagon, a buffer stop,dislodge a building and almost catapult a loco into the back of beyond. I and my fellow operator Barrie managed over about an hour repair all of the damage, whilst still operating the sequence but, the bruises on my leg are still coming out. The Barrier was eventually replaced. The other frustrating problem was losing mains power 4 times during the day because someone was using an appliance which kept tripping the circuit, the NEC sparky eventually sorted the problem, lets hope it stays sorted.

Sunday In those immortal words FABULOUS, absolutely trouble free day everything worked as it should and another three invites to shows, can't be bad.

Mike.

Hi Mike,

Saw the layout on Saturday when you were a bit down in the dumps after the fall but my lady and I both really enjoyed seeing it and talking to you. Your layout was not the only one with dodgy barriers and I think the Warley organisers need to look closely at them for next year.

You kept the show on the road, well done.

Barry

• RMweb Premium

Ouch sounds painful Mike. Glad you managed to repairs things for Sunday.

Hope you (and the layout) havent suffered any long-term effects. I didnt find you until Sunday, and had no idea you had suffered.

I liked Spinners End a lot, and its certainly given me a few ideas.

All the best,

Dave.

Thanks Dave no major harm done to the layout or myself. Today has seen a start on the major surgery to the Atlas Diesel (0-6-0) it's all ready now an 0-4-0 and considerably shorter, I had to modify the p/u's and it still runs very well. I will post some photos over the weekend. This mod is all down to David Rae who posted his work on both the web and 0 Gauge Guild sites.

Mike

Mike,

Good to see this - another mutant Atlas Plymouth - its starting a trend, even shorter than mine! Hope it works out for you.

Dava

http://www.rmweb.co....43973-planet-1/

It's all your fault, having seen your post I just couldn't resist having a hack. The loco is currently in the paint shop with just the buffer beams to paint then weathering and glazing. I'll post some pictures soon.

I'm just about to start another layout so I'll start another thread once it's in a viewable state.

Mike

OK whilst I have not finished with Spinners End I have just started a new project in, wait for it, 4mm. The working title is Preston Baggot, I have built the point work in code 75 and I'm starting a new thread in the layout section.

Mike - Oops! gone and done it now.

Well here we are almost finished fresh out the paint shop, needs weathering and Matt varnish. The buffers are from an old Lima Loco with plastic disks added. The Loco is a cross between a Planet and Rushton so I suppose one might call it a Rushet.

post-185-0-02554500-1354717480.jpg

post-185-0-05153300-1354717490.jpg

Mike - photo taken in very strong sunlight.

Archived