Dr Gerbil-Fritters Switching Plank

Based on my interest in contemporary switching in Phoenix and Arizona, I'm building a switcher plank. Three turnouts, a couple of industries that will take boxcars and 4 bay hoppers. Nothing very different from a number of similar pikes on here, all owing some allegiance to the Mindheim school of modelling. The only thing that makes mine a little different is that I'm attempting prototypical modelling and operations in G scale, 1:29.

It's a slow process, as I'm building the track by hand. This is my first AREA number 6 turnout, fitted with a 'back-saver' switch mechanism. It works fine, but as it's the first I've built (in any scale) there are refinements I'd want to make to the next two.

post-238-0-99163100-1312881853_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-46426300-1312881936_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-98776300-1312882054_thumb.jpg

It's complete and fully functional, I'd like to add joint bars, point reinforcing bars and so on before I'd consider it scenically complete. I'd like to try fabricating more realistic switch rods as I think the copper clad tie used on this one looks a bit lame.

The HO stuff is still being collected for some far off day when I can build a decent sized version of Guadalupe on Espee's Coast Line...

Nice, Dr. G-F.

Is anyone producing track detailing parts (like tie plates) in that scale?

I drove through Bayonne yesterday and noticed the "Backsavers" had been used at the yard alongside alongside 440. To be honest I don't know whether they are new or whether they have just been painted - the advantage to modellers is that they are huge.....

Best, Pete.

Pete,

There's a whole bunch of small cottage industries serving this scale, mostly based in the US. Llagas Creek do track parts, including number 4, 6, 8 and 10 frogs and points and tie plates. The rail is code 215 brass from Tenmille in England. Spikes are Micro Engineering medium. I bashed the backsaver from an O scale Caboose Industries ground throw and a bit of plastic rod. The ties are stained hardwood from my local Homebase. Waethering from Floquil paint markers. Truly, an international turnout...

I got a small parcel this morning from the good folks at Ozark Miniatures containing a Nathan M5 horn kit, ATSF style plow, rooftop a/c unit, skate aerial, speedo cable, and other lovely parts for my long delayed GP38-2 conversion.

The best thing about the large scale is that all the little dangly bits that make freight cars so interesting in real life are large enough to be seen. Even the glad hands work...

post-238-0-08589700-1312886039_thumb.jpg

airhoses separated

post-238-0-55810100-1312886107_thumb.jpg

airhoses joined

My multitude of thumbs can't work in anything smaller than 1:29 these days. I've even started to find O scale layouts looking a little small... :blink:

I hope that geep will have sound fitted - those larger scale models definately have "presence" , and sound can only enhance that.

I remember seeing Hugh Flynn's "Loscoe Yard" and being struck by the "presence" of the locos and stock - I think it's because they have the extra mass as a result of the size , so they look less toy-like than HO scale.

I hope that geep will have sound fitted - those larger scale models definately have "presence" , and sound can only enhance that.

I remember seeing Hugh Flynn's "Loscoe Yard" and being struck by the "presence" of the locos and stock - I think it's because they have the extra mass as a result of the size , so they look less toy-like than HO scale.

Yes I think a decent sound system is called for - should be able to get a good dynamic range in a model of this size. Thanks to Hugh my rolling stock fleet increased by 300% overnight, so a little of Loscoe will rise again! Its the mass that attracted me - plus the challenge of doing something a bit different and finally having a go at building something myself. It wasn't as difficult as I imagined, but total respect to the folk that build track in the smaller scales. I couldn't do it.

Seeing your two photos instantly reminded me of this http://carendt.us/sc...ge84/index.html one up from the bottom

NARROW N SHELF ALLOWS OPERATION IN VIRTUALLY NO SPACE

which made me wonder about replacing the right hand end turnout with a 3-way (or adding a RH turnout) and taking a hidden siding down the back behind the scenic flats. For US purposes the sidings would need to be lengtened to hold at least two cars - but my mind is ticking over!

Curse you, Moriarty! - I need another trackplan like a hole in the head!

Edit - should have made it clear that this idea is for HO

What sort of dimensions are we looking at for 1/29, Jack?

The three way will be interesting make, Dr. G-F! Honestly though I think you're right; I'm all freaking thumbs just fitting new handrails to one of my HO locos.......................frustrating to say the least.

I saw a nice little SW on the USTrains site but have no idea as the quality.

Best, Pete.

I hadn't thought about 1:29, TBH - I was thinking about HO (note that I have edited my previous post!) - but a quick calc says that if it is simply scaled up "as is" to1:29, about 15.5 feet, if i've done the calc right , and 62" in HO - allowing for extra spur length in HO it would fit very comfortably on a pair of 45"-48" folding boards, with removable plug-in scenic flat industries. I'd be tempted to have the "front" building, on the double track left end per the SF photo, as a see-through "shadow" wall, using perspex/acrylic and car window tint film, that bolts on.

The"problem" with 1/29 (my late brother modelled in it) is the size of the structures - they are huge! I like your idea re fiddle track on the layout on Carl's site, Jack, but consider how to get the train to disappear - you need to assume that the track will curve off sharply (even if it doesn't) to suspend disbelief. Tough one.

Best, Pete.

If I took a fiddle siding down along the rear, I'd make the first building (Victory Tie Factory) semi-low relief with the right-hand end running at an angle IE the building would be triangular if it existed ( and the track probably disapearing into it once it was a few inches past the corner) - and letting the building be a viewblock since the layout would be viewed from the front. The other alternative would be to forget the hidden siding and have the VTC track curving into the gap, between the buildings, and against a loading dock per the other photo, with VTC set on a curve. Another possibility given the space, would be to have the fiddle siding, and separate the two buildings leaving a gap between them, and running a road between them across the board - and have a fusee simulator running! Biggest problem again would be the depth of the buildings - but I would have the layout at eye level and the buildings as flats, minimising the "helicopter" view problem.

My pike will be at eye level, the buildings will be flats - maybe an inch or two deep just for some relief around the doorways.

There will be no tricky track - 3 way switches indeed, the very thought! All plain number 6s.

14' will take care of the three sidings, and there will be a 14' 'lead' for want of a better word. No hidden sidings, no tricks of any kind. Of course, in the home it'll be more of a photo plansk with ops taking place either in the family room or on the patio where there's room for the sidings plus the lead to be set up...

post-238-0-76989900-1312916024_thumb.jpg

My pike will be at eye level, the buildings will be flats - maybe an inch or two deep just for some relief around the doorways.

There will be no tricky track - 3 way switches indeed, the very thought! All plain number 6s.

14' will take care of the three sidings, and there will be a 14' 'lead' for want of a better word. No hidden sidings, no tricks of any kind. Of course, in the home it'll be more of a photo plansk with ops taking place either in the family room or on the patio where there's room for the sidings plus the lead to be set up...

post-238-0-76989900-1312916024_thumb.jpg

Hmm, that track plan looks very familiar to me. My kind of layout!

Yesterday, sorting thru some old CM magazines, I came across a 1:29 layout, 'Loscoe Yard' a small CSX serving depot.(CM Dec 2007)

Gauge 1 is very impressive looking, with an SD45 being over 30 ins long.

Look forward to seeing progress.

regards,

Mal

Hmm, that track plan looks very familiar to me. My kind of layout!

Yes, "Palmetto Spur" came instantly to my mind when I saw that plan!! ;)

Yesterday, sorting thru some old CM magazines, I came across a 1:29 layout, 'Loscoe Yard' a small CSX serving depot.(CM Dec 2007)

It was even more impressive 'in the flesh', Mal.. saw it at Kidderminster a few years back; I had just started in O Scale - boy did it suddenly look tiny.... :blink: :rolleyes:

Dr G-F; it's all very well showing off with working glad-hands.... but will they snap apart by themselves like the real things do when cars are uncoupled...??!!?? :P :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I may have to re-title this thread 'confessions of a reluctant scratch-builder' as I hack and slash my way through half an acre of plastic card...

Here's the underframe. Of course, now it's almost finished I've worked out a better way to build it. Doh!

post-238-0-29224900-1313146445_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-56851900-1313146519_thumb.jpg

And here is half of one side about 2/3rds complete...

post-238-0-96576400-1313154791_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-60362700-1313154838_thumb.jpg

I've already made a lot of mistakes... Ah well, he that made no mistakes, never made anything.

A couple more hours fitted in around family jobs... the underframe is mostly complete except for the brake details which I hope to get from Aristo spares.

The side is fully framed and just needs door runners, doors, door furniture, door bumpers, tack boards... did I say just? Then I have to do it all again for the other side.

post-238-0-11934900-1313164748_thumb.jpg

I built this handy little jig for aligning the side ribs... pity I didn't do one for the underframe stringers...

post-238-0-39268000-1313164851_thumb.jpg

May have to wait until Monday to complete side two, as I've run out of 3mm square tube and I have no U channel for the door runners...

Archived