Dap'O'l 7mm Private Owner wagons announced

Andy Y

I quite fancy a Western myself, or maybe a 22 or heck, if I'm being greedy, both ;-)

Cheers

Dave

I suppose you have all the drawings for both and I'm sure an O gauge 22 would be popular.

Heljan V Dapol on a western not to sure about that not in O any way.

Now we have RTR locos coaches and wagons a nice brake van would be a sure fire hit as there isn't any (good ones) RTR.

Any idea when the loco will be announced?

All the best

I quite fancy MK1's with a lower body curve as well :nono:

yes i know, naughty. lol

Seriously though, if the O gauge Western announced is a scale up of the OO version then problems that are on that one will be many fold larger and more obvious on the O gauge one.

Hence my 'desire' using our cad/cam's (thanks to Mark)

Cheers

Dave

Morning Dave,

I think a lot of people would prefer some 7mm Mk1s with the right profile straight out of the box!

If you are planning a 7mm Western then getting that all important roof peak right (especially the very subtle flat spot in the middle) will clinch it for many people, me included. You've already proved what you and your team can do with other recent releases so best of luck with whatever you have in the pipeline.

Good to meet you on Saturday, albiet briefly, I did have a quick look at the PO wagon in the glass case while you were rummaging around at the back, I was surprised to see it... very nice it looked too. Way before my time but a nice step to take.

I'm cracking on with that Western info we talked about, more on that soon Dave ;)

The one thing - apart from cost - that's holding me back in progressing with my O gauge project is space - I can get some brown box vans rtr from Skytrex but I want them in the railfreight colours. Not fancing faffing around with repainting (I'd rather "play trains") I could come up with a nice little shunting plank type project in O but there's nothing readily available unless I pay someone to build them for me. Half a dozen of your wagons for £40-£50 each would be perfect for my needs.

Silver Bullets would be a bit too big for me - and a bit restrictive - whereas 'anonymous and grubby box vans' could fit in pretty much everywhere, large or small.

I'm sure you're encouraged by the response that you've received on these first few rtr wagons already and it's not a case of if you'll do any more, but when, and which ones you choose to do.

Dave

I agree about the Heljan western so I suppose we will have to wait and see what it's like.

Problem with Heljan they are very quiet about it, there's nothing on there web site.

Although representatives where up the Severn valley railway recently doing some measuring so may be they are looking correct it.

Now a new hymek seen as the Heljan one is over 5 years old and does lack on detail especially around the bogies.

Or are we all getting carried away!

Class 22 or an 08 would be a good start.

Your right about the MK 1s aswell.

Wishing you all the best and I will be watching with interest.

If I can add my suggestions - 0-6-0 tender loco preferably one from NE, a J25 for example. On a serious note, if the correct wheel base was selected the chassis would be useful for many different 0-6-0 bodies.

On the stock side some vans would be useful, again I'd want NE or LNER based models but I'm not proud and would entertain any good representation of vans from pre-BR days.

and as for coaches, well, I'd maybe settle for some MkIs with the correct profile body though I'd much prefer Gresley or even NE coaches.

Best regards

DaveC

I'm partly with DaveC - if locos were to be produced, I hope they would be relatively small. If a range of models could be produced that were priced right, 7mm may well attract more enthusiasts. Many people dipping a toe in (and I could be one) would likely go for a shunting layout or branchline at first. Therefore, suburban or non-gangwayed coaches.

John

Yes I agree on the small engine policy as most O gauge modellers are space starved and small branch lines are very popular.

Because I'm doing ranelagh bridge it gives m'e the chance to have big locos in a fairly small space.

I think the 22 or an 08 would be a great start I would find a home for either.

I'm glad another main stream manufacturer is going O.

Just the anticipation to put up with now.

an 08 would be a great start

Assuming it can beat the £400-£500 that the Bachmann brass one seems to go for on Ebay then I might well be tempted to get one sooner rather than later too. BR blue with wasp stripes, DIY numbers, would be nice I think... oh, and making it easily chippable for DCC sound would be an excellent user upgrade path.

Yes I agree on the small engine policy as most O gauge modellers are space starved and small branch lines are very popular.

Because I'm doing ranelagh bridge it gives m'e the chance to have big locos in a fairly small space.

I think the 22 or an 08 would be a great start I would find a home for either.

I'm glad another main stream manufacturer is going O.

Just the anticipation to put up with now.

I agree that sense with suggest a small loco, but having had an email exchange with one of the several RTR brass loco Far East producers they are convinced that only large locos sell in 7mm ( for over £2k....). It is certainly true that there is a glut of very large RTR locos so someone must know something us modellers don't know.

An obvious starting point is the 8ft x 8ft 6in. wheelbase that the LMS standardised on for the basis of a lot of locos (although a small J25 or J27 would suit our layout very nicely).

Paul Bartlett

Are not all O gauge locos "large"?!!!

Something like an LMS class 2MT 2-6-0 might both tick the manufacturer's "large loco" box and the modellers "needs to be a branchline" box? And at the same time cover a pretty wide geographical area - all bar Southern?

As a modeller in 4mm I struggle with the apparent mis-match in O RTR between available locos, which seem to be largely diesels, and RTR stock which is from an incompatible era. Alhough for these Private Owner wagons I can see the short run/livery opportunities are endless.

I think Lionheart (?) do RTR 16T steel minerals, so the next most common types to suit the diesel era (and steam at the same time) would presumably be a BR brakevan and a BR 12T planked van?

Cheers,

26power

I agree that sense with suggest a small loco, but having had an email exchange with one of the several RTR brass loco Far East producers they are convinced that only large locos sell in 7mm ( for over £2k....). It is certainly true that there is a glut of very large RTR locos so someone must know something us modellers don't know.

Paul Bartlett

• RMweb Gold

they are convinced that only large locos sell in 7mm ( for over £2k....)

Maybe because that's the price point they want to achieve ;) I would hope that Dapol have spotted the niche in the market for affordable O gauge that pays no attention to the perceived price point we currently suffer from. I cannot see how an O gauge tank engine should cost much more than an OO one as long as the volume sales are there. Maybe that's the trick ........

The real test of a 7mm small loco will be Ixion's forthcoming tank engines ... lets hope they do well!!

Although its not my era, a plastic class 08 for sub-£300 would prob sell well. No point doing an 03 as Bachmann flooded the market with brass ones.

Are not all O gauge locos "large"?!!!

Something like an LMS class 2MT 2-6-0 might both tick the manufacturer's "large loco" box and the modellers "needs to be a branchline" box? And at the same time cover a pretty wide geographical area - all bar Southern?

As a modeller in 4mm I struggle with the apparent mis-match in O RTR between available locos, which seem to be largely diesels, and RTR stock which is from an incompatible era. Alhough for these Private Owner wagons I can see the short run/livery opportunities are endless.

I think Lionheart (?) do RTR 16T steel minerals, so the next most common types to suit the diesel era (and steam at the same time) would presumably be a BR brakevan and a BR 12T planked van?

Cheers,

26power

I agree, 7mm is very difficult to understand, even when kits are included.

Yes, the Lionheart RTR steel minerals are lettered up for 1955 produced wagons, and as they are Morton braked with top flap door (diag 1/108 & 109) are not suitable for before 1950. There are diesels with only a very poor selection of Bachmann models - and I don't think they are available now (and were pretty poor). As for coaches... some very expensive East Coast stuff but try and find something suitable for branchlines... Skytrex do a considerable range of BR era wagons - including some POs suitable for the diesel era - but a lot of their models are quite poor reproductions. But, I think they must be popular as they have produced so much. I think this reflects the other side of 7mm - large outdoor where effect is more important than individual detailing.

Lionheart Private Trader wagons are expected to appear in different liveries, with the correct type of end door and stanchions at the non door end - but so far only a 7 plank version.

I agree, an early BR brake van diag 1/500 which is also suitable as a late LNER one would be really handy - very long lives, and even for the nearly contemporary period modeller, still needed for engineers trains, and reversing moves. http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brbrakevan500

Paul Bartlett

I suppose RTR O Gauge suffers from the 'express engine' syndrome that used to, and to a point still does, distort the 4mm RTR market. I further suppose that the kind of guys who have £2-3K to spare may well want something impressive, like Cock o t' North or whatever. However, the truth is not one in a hundred modellers has room to run such an engine with an appropriate train, even in 4mm, let alone 7mm. There is also a significant market out there among folk who could never find that kind of money but could scrape together £300-£500 by saving up/borrowing/selling off their collection of 27 00 locos/whatever.

So I think small, attractive engines, steam or diesel, will find a ready market with the relative paupers who only have small layouts. For steam I suggest something long lived - plenty of pre-group types lasted well into BR days and they give more livery choices. A L&Y Barton-Wright 0-6-0 or a nice GC J10 would be good. These engines also tend to be simple in terms of mechanics and outline, typically 0-6-0s or 0-6-0ts. And for diesels why not one or other of the obscure small classes that appeared in the transition era, the sort of thing that is not currently represented in RTR. But really anything small and main line is likely to attract the punters.

So Dapol may enter the 0 gauge field with a RTR plastic loco. Good! O gauge is just waiting to be opened up in this way with less expensive RTR locos. When I saw the Bachmann North American 7mm narrow gauge locos some years ago, I dreamed then of how things would look in this scale if the RTR firms tapped into the British standard gauge market with say a MR 3F 0-6-0 tender loco.

So Dapol may enter the 0 gauge field with a RTR plastic loco. Good! O gauge is just waiting to be opened up in this way with less expensive RTR locos. When I saw the Bachmann North American 7mm narrow gauge locos some years ago, I dreamed then of how things would look in this scale if the RTR firms tapped into the British standard gauge market with say a MR 3F 0-6-0 tender loco.

Hi Coachmann,

'May'? no sir, "are" there is at least 1 O gauge engine in the 2012 catalogue and i'm hoping that the other 2 i'm working on also go in as well.

No, sorry, no clues......................yet :locomotive:

cheers

Dave

Archived