#26 Coppercap

Coppercap

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationVale of Berkeley

Posted 19 April 2018 - 23:00

Disagree.
I take it you've been? Because if you have, you'd know it's stocked floor to ceiling with all sorts of kits and bits and bobs related to model trains. Furthermore it's staffed by a chap who spent two hours with me trying to see why my Hornby tts and lenz weren't friends, knowing that:
- I hadn't bought the 31 from him
- I hadn't bought the tts from him
- I hadn't bought the lenz from him
So I think you're being hugely unfair labelling the shop in some pejorative way as simply a "box shifter"

I've been there numerous times, if you must know. Yes, the staff are very helpful, the shop is chock-full, but very much of it is Bachmann, Hornby and Dapol, and 'RTP' buildings and various ready-made scenery items. There's a great deal of lesser manufacturer's items that they do not carry and which they quite obviously don't have room for, and to be realistic would probably be slow moving. Much of the shelf space is taken up with multiples of the same item, which I expect is because most business is online and not aimed at shop visitors. Many items I want can usually only be found on sale at exhibitions, and I doubt somewhere like MRD would stock them. However, when I want RTR locos and rolling stock, MRD is my first port of call.