4 CIG for Newhaven Harbour

Hi Colin..

Having looked through what I have it would seem that there was/is only one footstep on the 2ndmans side on the inner end of the DTC's and none others ... nothing inner end body mounted either that I am aware of.. below are some shots of 421805 ( 7432 in old money :D ).

HTH

Mike

img6983t.jpg

img6986d.jpg

img6987y.jpg

img6999m.jpg

img7000g.jpg

I'll look out the other detailing shots that I might have over the next couple of days if you want ....

Hi Mike,

That's just the photo I needed of the step. You RMwebbers are certainly amassing quite a body of information here. I do wonder if there are any RTR manufacturer's spies looking at all this! (Not hubris, just my suspicious mind perhaps.)

Thanks,

Colin

Now after The Evil Bus Driver's comment re. jigs for corridor conection part production, I made a couple of parts to aid the cutting of the end overlays and alignment of the shrouds (is that the correct name for them?).

attachment=153852:IMG_2799 (1280x787).jpg]

A nasty business, cutting brass. It's all clamping, drilling and filing - messy and slow, but it has been worth the effort. Now there is a template for cutting the end and its opening to accomodate the shroud, plus a cutting guide for shaping the moving gangway faces.

Note: must use a smooth-jawed vice next time.

Photo is not added in the place selected again! Don't understand why.

post-8139-0-54523600-1329260377_thumb.jpg

Hi Colin,

I have just looked at the Abbiegails spares website and they have various bits of the Hornby 4Vep for sale. These include motor bogie frames, dummy motor bogies and motor coach underframe. The motor bogie frames will fit the 73 bogie and may save you a lot of work. The same applies to the underframe when you come to doing that. Hope this helps.

Cheers for now, Ian.

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the info. but:

I have already commited myself with parts etc. and the class 73 was the best option for the parts needed. A Hornby DCC decoder socket alone cost me £6.00 last time i ordered one (+postage), the spare parts can add up to more than a whole loco! I also wanted a 73 body in the earlier BR blue livery to be interchangeable with the TOPS liveried 73 body, so the black Fragonset liveried version provides a good basis for repainting. I have also got the Southern Pride 4 CIG moulded detailing pack already.

Looking at the Hornby VEP motor bogie mouldings, they have made a better job of them, I suspect the class 73 version has slightly under-depth side frames. Anyhow, most of the motor bogie detailing is done now, amd armed with many photos, the MBSO chassis will be tackled next. The advantage of using Bachmann coaches as donors is that the side are a clip-fit - a feature of the design that is going to be retained for attaching the new sides, so a Hornby VEP chassis wouls not be compatible.

All the best,

Colin

Hmm.

Following my comments above in response to 5 BEL's suggestion to use Hornby 4 VEP bogie frames, I had a look at page 19 of the Hornby 4 VEP topic. There is a rather nice comparative photo of the class 73 Mk.6 power bogie next to the 4 VEP version. I must now say it it very tempting to obtain some of these 4 VEP bogies as spare parts, though it isn't clear if the would fit in exactly the same way as the ex-Lima 73 ones.

Colin

• RMweb Gold

I've dug out another shot dating from the Spring of 2000. If I have interpreted Ceptic's notes correctly, this is the B end DTC, but the first class stripe is faded and some window stickers appear to be missing. More importantly, I would draw attention to the plates added above the buffers. I doubt that it is unique, but I don't recall seeing this on any other unit. The plates look as though they could have carried light fittings, but could equally be there to retain the flexible pipes. I'm sure someone will have the definitive answer!

post-7291-0-37581300-1329315043_thumb.jpg

Clapham Junction; 2000

I've dug out another shot dating from the Spring of 2000. If I have interpreted Ceptic's notes correctly, this is the B end DTC, but the first class stripe is faded and some window stickers appear to be missing. More importantly, I would draw attention to the plates added above the buffers. I doubt that it is unique, but I don't recall seeing this on any other unit. The plates look as though they could have carried light fittings, but could equally be there to retain the flexible pipes. I'm sure someone will have the definitive answer!

post-7291-0-37581300-1329315043_thumb.jpg

Clapham Junction; 2000

Hi Trevor,

Experimental lights fitted for a year or so, This link explains a bit more ............ http://www.myreader....age/134374.aspx

HTH

Mike

Edit :- removed some incorrect statement .. opps !

• RMweb Gold

Experimental lights fitted for a year or so...

Ah, so it was unique. Many thanks for the link Mike.

It's surprising how such minor modifications change the face of the unit. It looked to be a neat solution too.

Thanks to Trevellan for the photoof Unit 1315.

Re. minor changes to the 4 CIG: When did they lose the foot steps on the DTCL cab ends or was it only the first 36 units that had them? Having looked through my copy of 'A Southern Electric Album' last night, I noticed that the green 4 CIG units had them but it appears that 4 BIG 7033 did too (see p.49).

At least I have seen the picture which shows the shorter yellow stripe on the DTCL at end 'A' or do I mean 'B'. I shall have to write it on the plan.

Colin

Guest oldlugger

Sorry Colin if I'm taking you a little OT but since we are talking ED bogies...

I don't suppose that the class 73 bogie frames have NEM coupling boxes?

Cheers.

EDIT - I'm talking about the spares.

Nope! They (Hornby and Lima) have the good old regular tension lock couplings griffgriff; I presume you are referring to the model and not part of the prototype CIG?! Apologies if you were!

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Nope! They (Hornby and Lima) have the good old regular tension lock couplings griffgriff; I presume you are referring to the model and not part of the prototype CIG?! Apologies if you were!

Cheers

Simon

You presumed correctly ... thanks for the information.

OK then time to get back on topic :sungum:

Thanks to Trevellan for the photoof Unit 1315.

Re. minor changes to the 4 CIG: When did they lose the foot steps on the DTCL cab ends or was it only the first 36 units that had them? Having looked through my copy of 'A Southern Electric Album' last night, I noticed that the green 4 CIG units had them but it appears that 4 BIG 7033 did too (see p.49).

At least I have seen the picture which shows the shorter yellow stripe on the DTCL at end 'A' or do I mean 'B'. I shall have to write it on the plan.

Colin

Colin

it would seem that even right up to 'SOUTHERN' green and white, some still carried them, this will take some detective work me - thinks !!!!!

Starting to dig a little for you ..

Mike

• RMweb Premium

i might have missed it, but what livery are you doing? if blue/grey then a couple of pics here:

one DTC(coupled to MBS): http://80srail.zenfolio.com/p815375136/h2658a354#h2658a354

t'other DTC(coupled to TSO): http://80srail.zenfolio.com/p815375136/h2658a354#h3852c7c6

Sorry Colin if I'm taking you a little OT but since we are talking ED bogies...

I don't suppose that the class 73 bogie frames have NEM coupling boxes?

Cheers.

EDIT - I'm talking about the spares.

Hi grifgriff,

No, the class 73 bogies do not have NEM sockets, but I only need to add one to the powered bogie of the CIG. At the other end, the bogie clips neatly over the Bachmann NEM coupling mechanism.

Colin

i might have missed it, but what livery are you doing? if blue/grey then a couple of pics here:

one DTC(coupled to MBS): http://80srail.zenfo...8a354#h2658a354

t'other DTC(coupled to TSO): http://80srail.zenfo...8a354#h3852c7c6

Hi Keefer,

I have to have the blue/grey livery 4 CIG for the layout. I had toyed with the idea of a green one just because I am a little aprehensive about applying the white lining. As 5 BEL pointed out, only the first 36 York-built 4 CIGs with Mk 4 motor bogies carried the green livery. Perhaps i should have bought a 4 VEP and cut that up instead!

Colin

Hi Colin.

Re:- 1st.Cl. Compartment / 2nd.Cl.Saloon sizes.

I was, rather, hoping that these documents, available through the Barrowmore Model Railway Group's site, http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk might provide some clues, but, as S*d's luck prevails / provides, the relevant information isn't there. Dooh!!

I don't know whether you've already looked on here?. If not, it might provide other, useful information.

4-CIG DCTLs are found approx. 1/2 way down, in this Doc. http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/Diagram_Book_210_for_Issue.pdf

Also 3/4 down, in this Doc. http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/BREMUDiagramsIssue.pdf

I've got a few guesstimations, of my own, based on a few references, which, when sorted, I'll post in.

Catch you later, Frank.

Thanks to Ceptic and crompton33 for your links and research,

This is turning into a group effort!

Nothing exciting to show tonight, as all I have done is produce some inner ends and sanded the detail off the roof of the donor coach. I have had a look at the underframe detail mouldings. Room for some super-detailing in light of the all the underframe shots I now have to refer to.

Colin

If you have anything on inner end footsteps, that would help.

Colin

I have had a quick check through my photos and come up with the two following showing the inside end of one of the DTC vehicles on the previously preserved and restored 4BIG (ex4CIG) on the GCR. Others I have noted are of the motor and trailing bogies and of the underframe equipment. I shall try and post them too if they are of interest over the next few days.

post-422-0-87303100-1329524922_thumb.jpgpost-422-0-02673600-1329524991_thumb.jpg

Hi

I can't seem to get the last photo to be displayed in the correct 'portrait' alignment. Apologies for this but my usual computer geek is no doubt asleep 10 miles away at home!

Load the picture in the GIMP on your computer, then use the tools to rotate the image, save, reupload, simples!

Archived