4 CIG for Newhaven Harbour

I have successfully "stained" white plasticard with pale felt tips from an art shop. May have had to lightly sand the surface with very fine wet and dry first.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the tip. that could be some thing to aid me in the future.

I am getting on with the tried and trusted 'white' method for now. I had originally thought that black sides would help with positioning of the etched stainless steel window frames, giving plenty of contrast between the two materials' colours. I can see that David Jenkison used pale cream or pale blue and a contrast to the white panellling layer on his coaches.

I feel a bit stupid really, because holding a stainless steel object next to the white sides proves that they show up perfectly well.

Colin

Obviously I understand the predicament that Colin has been placed in but I'd like to put on record my thanks for sharing such stimulating projects with the readership. I certainly wouldn't hold anything against him at all and hopefully I may get chance in the not too distant future to get down Ceredigion way and make a feature to make sure that Colin doesn't go neglected around these parts. ;)

Obviously I understand the predicament that Colin has been placed in but I'd like to put on record my thanks for sharing such stimulating projects with the readership. I certainly wouldn't hold anything against him at all and hopefully I may get chance in the not too distant future to get down Ceredigion way and make a feature to make sure that Colin doesn't go neglected around these parts. ;)

Thanks for you comments Andy,

I'm not going to stop posting stuff about my antics with EMUs. I think it might end up being more of a parallel description of what I am doing in the case of the 4 CIG, but goodness me, I'm only an amateur who has been fortunate enough to have a couple of articles published.

It does make me wonder if some RMweb members will now hold back on posting anything that could be of use 'commercially' for themselves - or perhaps they never did, I just don't know.

Colin

I don't know how kosher it would be, but could you possibly publish on an independent blog and leave links here for it. A little like George Dent does for MR.

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for the suggestion about a blog.

I think I shall try to go for that kind of thing here on this RMweb topic as I don't want to leave the forum. It seems that progress reports with general photos of what is going on will be fine anyway. Many people have posted useful information here on 4 CIGs and I don't want to let them down by disappearing somewhere else now I have got what I needed!

Colin

I don't know how kosher it would be, but could you possibly publish on an independent blog and leave links here for it. A little like George Dent does for MR.

HiCharlie,

Thanks for the suggestion. I shall carry on posting updates about building the 4 CIG on RMweb for now. It looks like a reasonable compromise will be to keep the topic more like a blog as you suggest, with pictures of what is going on as often as there is something interest to show. (Which there would have been today if the camera battery hadn't just died on me!)

Colin

HiCharlie,

Thanks for the suggestion. I shall carry on posting updates about building the 4 CIG on RMweb for now. It looks like a reasonable compromise will be to keep the topic more like a blog as you suggest, with pictures of what is going on as often as there is something interest to show. (Which there would have been today if the camera battery hadn't just died on me!)

Colin

Hi Colin,

Good! Because your skill/artistry/bodgery (call it what you will) is inspirational. Now if you could just apply the same high level of ability to managing your photographic power source requirements..... :)

Cheers

Jan

Colin

Hi Colin,

Good! Because your skill/artistry/bodgery (call it what you will) is inspirational. Now if you could just apply the same high level of ability to managing your photographic power source requirements..... :)

Cheers

Jan

I'm woking on that one Jan. I have also bought tripod and worked out how to use the camera timer, so I'll post a picture of some of the sides being cut out later on.

Colin

• RMweb Premium

As I understand it. copyright is not the issue, it is whether the subject matter has been in print or on the web before. This is now a commercial website in the eyes of that publisher at least.

Simple: publish everything first then update us later! In fact you could save effort by just scanning the magazine articles onto here. You'd be blatantly flouting copywrite obviously but unless you sue yourself you should be ok!

Simple: publish everything first then update us later! In fact you could save effort by just scanning the magazine articles onto here. You'd be blatantly flouting copywrite obviously but unless you sue yourself you should be ok!

Erm no; it doesn't quite work like that. I'm quite happy that Colin will be back and forth as time and circumstances permit and I don't think anyone wouldn't want to help Colin if there are any questions along the way. :)

well colin i don't want you to leave this forum . because you where one of the reason's i signed up on here in the first place. i'm into southern emu's. in the middle of building a d/c kit's 2 epb . some how don't think it will be up to your standard.

well colin i don't want you to leave this forum . because you where one of the reason's i signed up on here in the first place. i'm into southern emu's. in the middle of building a d/c kit's 2 epb . some how don't think it will be up to your standard.

Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere crompton 33.

I think it's just the format of the posts that will change for now.

As for your EPB, good luck and use plenty of butanone to butt-join those sides!

Colin

What happens when help is required from the forum?

Cheers SS

Good point SS.

I have been fortunate in having plenty of help and advice when needed from RMweb members. The number of photos that I have as reference is testament to that.

Colin

Camera working again, tripod in action, have to practise lighting.

Cutting out sides: two DTCL pairs of sides at the almost done stage. The sides are set out cantrail to cantrail for strength when handling and are overlength at the moment too. This procedure is much akin to the making of other EMU sides as described in the other topics (2 HAP and 2 HAL).

post-8139-0-39143300-1331932863_thumb.jpg

Window openings are to the specifications given to me by Pete Harvey, who is supplying the etched frames, although I have left them a bit on the small side just in case.

Cutting out sides was comparatively easy compared to what has been going on for the last few days:

post-8139-0-28985600-1332289120_thumb.jpg

One cab end has been fitted with the MU recesses and shaped. The corridor connections seen here are the second set. The first ones ended up in the bin, as they were just not quite right. Without definitive plans, I have resorted to staring at photos to get the proportions and relative postitons of the various features correct. Most difficult of all was setting out the headcode panel in the door. The gangways will be left as separate parts for ease of painting.

Much more work has to done in terms of fine details.

Thanks to Mr Harvey, the more complete cab end is now 'blinged-up' ! I apologise for the gangway door not being quite pushed up into its correct position in this photo

post-8139-0-62601300-1332365030_thumb.jpg

A complete set of etchings for the 4 CIG windows arrived today. I couldn't wait to try and fit some frames. I can't do any on the coach sides until I have finished drilling holes for handles, scribing door joints etc. One thing that seems to work very well, even on these very finely etched cab window frames is to set them into place with solvent. They bed in nicely and will stay in place until some minute drops of super glue are applied for a permanent joint.

Edit: That (off-centre!) hole is where the route indicator light could go if the model is ever fitted with directional lighting.

looks good Colin.

No need to rush.

Pete

Thanks to you Pete!

I must be honest and confess that when I saw the fineness of the etchings this morning I thought I'd never be up to the task of fitting them. But with care, they are not that bad to work with and really they tidy up the rough old holes that I had cut for the windows.

The 'rushing' is over for now. I'm glad that the cab window frames are done, as they are by far the most exacting to fit. I had to take great care when removing them from the etch fret and when removing the tabs. Luckily, the openings that had been cut in the cab ends just needed to be opened out a little for the frames to fit.

The other frames are going to be much easier to handle when fitting.

Colin

Thanks to Mr Harvey, the more complete cab end is now 'blinged-up' ! I apologise for the gangway door not being quite pushed up into its correct position in this photo

A complete set of etchings for the 4 CIG windows arrived today. I couldn't wait to try and fit some frames. I can't do any on the coach sides until I have finished drilling holes for handles, scribing door joints etc. One thing that seems to work very well, even on these very finely etched cab window frames is to set them into place with solvent. They bed in nicely and will stay in place until some minute drops of super glue are applied for a permanent joint.

Edit: That (off-centre!) hole is where the route indicator light could go if the model is ever fitted with directional lighting.

Neat work, Colin

I must say I like your tip of using solvent to get the surrounds bedded in. I'll try to remember that for the future.

I must say that there's something satisfying in working with styrene sheet - I can't put my finger on it, but it seems to come alive more than brass or nickel silver; and most definitely so under your skilful rendering. Mind you, anything with rows and rows of windows tends to get the 'nice idea; but you know you're not going to have the patience to glaze it, Jan' thought passing through my head. :)

Cheers

Jan

The 4 Cig sides are divided and cut to length.

I have gone back to using a hand-held Stanley knife blade for such work, as the Swann-Morton craft knife has less rigid blades that can wander (alramingly) away from the intended course of the cut. Having got the tripod for the camera, my hands (ravaged by cutting hedges this week) make their debut on RMweb!

post-8139-0-42653700-1332536528_thumb.jpg

There is vertical beading either side of the doors on a 4 CIG's bodywork, as well as along the bottom edge of the sides, which I thought should be modelled. I cheated and bought some Plastruct 10 x 20 thou. strip for this detailing, rather than try and cut dead straight and paralell pieces by hand. Once in place, the strip was found to be far too thick, so with careful filing and sanding it has been reduced to about 5 thou., which looks right. I am mindful that this surface texture will add to complications when lining-out the blue/grey livery. I am still thinking about what to do about lining. Once the holes are drilled for handles etc., the sides will be curved and strengthened by laminating 20 thou. strips of plasticard in my usual way.

I plan to get the motor coach complete and undercoated before putting this project to one side for a while: there are two exhibitions coming up and the layout has to be prepared as a priority now,

Neat work, Colin

I must say I like your tip of using solvent to get the surrounds bedded in. I'll try to remember that for the future.

I must say that there's something satisfying in working with styrene sheet - I can't put my finger on it, but it seems to come alive more than brass or nickel silver; and most definitely so under your skilful rendering. Mind you, anything with rows and rows of windows tends to get the 'nice idea; but you know you're not going to have the patience to glaze it, Jan' thought passing through my head. :)

Cheers

Jan

Hi Jan,

The glazing will be cut once the sides have their etched frames fitted. It isn't quite such a bad a job on this type of unit as it was on the 2 HAL and 2 HAPs that I built: bigger windows and less of them on a 4 CIG!

Colin

Archived