Tags - Helping readers find similar content

Hi

I suspect that people want others to read the posts, so the more relevant tags they add, i.e oo,00,4mm,dublo,16.5mm ect. The more likely your post will be found so why try and limit to just one?

The downside of course is that 16.5 will also pick up H0  and 4mm will pick up EM and P4,  but maybe that is correct anyway and will provide people with a more diverse expierience of other gauges/scales.

out of interest is it possible to do not searches on tags, eg 00,OO,4mm, -P4,-EM, -H0  ?

Regards

Kal

and don't forget to try to eliminate the NG versions of OO9 and O-16.5 and all their variants 009, 0O9, 0O9 4mmNG, 7mmNG .... I'm hoping the tagging isn't case sensitive (oo9, p4, em, ho, ng) but what about punctuation? (4 mm, 7mm, 7mm NG) ... did someone mention standardisation?

and don't forget to try to eliminate the NG versions of OO9 and O-16.5 and all their variants 009, 0O9, 0O9 4mmNG, 7mmNG .... I'm hoping the tagging isn't case sensitive (oo9, p4, em, ho, ng) but what about punctuation? (4 mm, 7mm, 7mm NG) ... did someone mention standardisation?

Or do you mean standardization???

Sadly the tagging doesn't appear to be case sensitive ... so we'll probably end up with OO, oo, Oo, oO, 00, 0O, 4mm, 4MM, 4Mm & 4mM ...

Is there a way of the mod team coming up with some standard tags which can be selected? I know this would restrict things, but it would also help prevent the typographically challenged from coming up with some of the above variations?

Sadly the tagging doesn't appear to be case sensitive

It appears as inputted but clicking on 'oo' will show 'OO' tags up.

The only modification written to come up with a list of pre-selected tags which can be 'forced' is a bit clunky. It would be good to see if we could at least improve matters from where we've been and establish a culture rather than trying to over complicate setting up a topic.

Is there a way of the mod team coming up with some standard tags which can be selected?  I know this would restrict things, but it would also help prevent the typographically challenged from coming up with some of the above variations?

I had forgotten just how long ago the issue of tags were first raised - I don't think my opinion on the subject has changed much - and something tells me that it is going to be received with about the same level of enthusiasm. Call me a pessimist, but getting people to change the way they do things unless they are simple to do and simple to understand will always be an uphill task.

Call me a pessimist,

Go on; I'll bite. :)

If we don't try, nothing will happen but as I said I don't want it to be overly prescriptive or complex. It is, however, there for people to use and help others and themselves.

• RMweb Gold

I had forgotten just how long ago the issue of tags were first raised - I don't think my opinion on the subject has changed much - and something tells me that it is going to be received with about the same level of enthusiasm. Call me a pessimist, but getting people to change the way they do things unless they are simple to do and simple to understand will always be an uphill task.

If even I can add them to a thread which I started a month or so back they must be simple :O I followed the instructions in this thread and lo and behold I added them and there they still are - a day later - and they (well one of them) actually works (the other three also work but it appears I am the only person on RMWeb to have used them so they only take me back to my own thread).

The only problem I can see is in choosing the correct tags to start with and if one letter or word is different they won't be quite so useful (no that isn't a plea for a Tag List, I had enough of those in marshalling yards once we had TOPS thank you) but a suggestion that folk keep an eye out to see what tags are in use as the roam around RMWeb and take them as 'style guides' (if they work).

If even I can add them to a thread which I started a month or so back they must be simple :O I followed the instructions in this thread and lo and behold I added them and there they still are - a day later - and they (well one of them) actually works (the other three also work but it appears I am the only person on RMWeb to have used them so they only take me back to my own thread).

Funny that, my tags only show my topics too :)

• RMweb Gold

It would be great to see the tags used more widely. It does add a new dimension to searching.

We just have to be careful we don't all get too narrow-minded. Eg I've once or twice caught myself *only* using the "gwr" tag to find topics, which means I miss out on all the other great stuff on here! So self-discipline and an open mind is needed :angel:

BTW, once a tag has been used to find topics, the left-hand menu can be used to toggle between forum, blog and gallery topics/entries using that same tag. One less reason to remain confined within the forum section :sungum:

It is possible to edit your existing topics to include tags by going to the first post in the topic, click on Edit at the bottom of the posting and then click on Full Editor at the bottom of the text entry field. You will then be able to add tags to this standardised format and then click on Edit this topic when completed to save it.

I can't seem to get this to work - what am I doing wrong?

So I'm editing an old topic, I enter my tags seperated by commas, but it seems to then lump it all into a single tag?

http://www.rmweb.co....c-very-average/

So typing 'N gauge, 1970s' (exactly like that) in the tags box ends up with a single tag of 'N gauge 1970s'.

Also, there appears to be some sort of limit to the number of characters you can type in the box? So I wanted to put 'N gauge, 1970s, parcels' but it will only allow me to enter 'N gauge, 1970s, par' before it stopped me typing anymore.

Oh okay, had a bit more of a play.

So you type the first tag, wait for a second, then enter the comma, and then it converts that to a tag and you can then type the next one. Typing the whole thing as a single entry quickly and expecting it to convert it to seperate tags doesn't work, and I suspect what I was hitting was a character limit for a single tag.

Rightio - just need to pause after each tag.

• 1 year later...

Archived