RTR renumbering options

Raffles

With Bachmann announcing 47436 in BR Large Logo Blue, there must be a few options.

Need to be careful there was a surprising (sometimes subtle) variation within this livery. Cab surround black to the roof,or a thin yellow line between the black and the roof. The extent to which the black extended round the side..........

• 2 months later...

Hi again  - this time I have a couple of ViTrains 47s I wanted to renumber. 

I am looking to renumber 47 197 and 47 347. If at all possible I'd like a freight liveried triple grey Class 47/4 (apparently a couple of them existed) and an RfD liveried 47/0 or 47/3. Can anyone suggest any appropriate 47s I can rename the above into please? 

I cant say I've looked at the options for easy renumbering of ViTrains Class 47s.

But one thing you should possibly be aware of with ViTrains models (in case you haven't found this yourself) is you have to be pretty careful when removing the old numbers as the paint layer is thin and its pretty easy to rub through to the bare plastic ... so be prepared to patch/respray more than you'd expect with Bachmann/Heljan

Thanks for getting back to me - I would just try and look at photos on Flickr, but I don't really know what I'm looking for! There are so many variants it seems, different headcode boxes/flush ends, vents, fuel tanks, pipe positions etc etc!

sometimes ignorance is bliss ;)

it depends how far you want to go with it. For me the headcode boxes tend to stand out. By the 80s, most 47s had opaque lenses at one end and marker lights at the other mounted in the headcode panel. Where they'd had an accident and the cab was replaced the replacement cab may not have had the headcode panel so you can get that variation at either end or in a few cases both ends depending on the damage.

by vents are you meaning the boiler ports? I know some were round and some were square, depending on the type of boiler fitted, but I dont tend to take much notice of those even though they are on the roof.

Fuel tanks I thought there was 3 variants (but I suspect someone will no doubt prove me wrong in saying something like that!!) ... (1) the fuel tanks, battery boxes and water tanks as a fairly solid lump between the bogies ... most of the Bachmann models from earlier eras look like this. (2) where the boiler water tanks have been removed leaving 4 distinct boxes underneath - I think the 47612 model is like this off the top of my head and (3) where long range fuel tanks have been fitted and the underframe boxes at one end are bigger than the other - see most Bachmann 47/7 or 47/8 models

Pipe positions - are you meaning the white pipes that appeared in the middle of the locos on one side just under the bodywork at the top of the chassis on push-pull 47/7s and Class 57s?

or do you mean the mounting position of the electric train heating connector? i.e. on the bufferbeam or above it on the drivers side corner of the cab

I'm sure there will be variations or corrections, but from a simplistic view I think that would be what you're looking for

• RMweb Premium

Hi again  - this time I have a couple of ViTrains 47s I wanted to renumber. 

I am looking to renumber 47 197 and 47 347. If at all possible I'd like a freight liveried triple grey Class 47/4 (apparently a couple of them existed) and an RfD liveried 47/0 or 47/3. Can anyone suggest any appropriate 47s I can rename the above into please? 

I'd say the Vitrains 47347 looks closer to the photos I've found of 47588, the underframe tanks are just the basic boxes and it's got standard un-cut ends. The boiler ports on the Vitrains model look to be the rectangle type but the prototype has a round plated boiler - Shawplan does an etch if you want to change this. I've not checked the headcode on both ends of the Vitrains (going by model shop pics as don't have any of my own!) but assuming this is the standard headcode at both ends.

In general though, I've found it much easier working backwards from the prototype than trying to do the above, go through your old trainspotting notes, the Platform 5 books, Flickr etc, find your prototype and then look at whats available RTR and get the wallet/paint/detailing parts out accordingly!! The only trouble is when you find an irresistible bargain at a show so you end up buying a lump of loco, only to find you have limited renumber options!

From looking at a few photos of 47588 the Vitrains large logo 47401 shell would be right for 588 with round plated boiler port, opaque lenses in headcode panel at the fan end and marker lights in the headcode panel at the other end, it also has cowled buffer beams..On the chassis you need tank details to match with no extended range fuel tanks or water tanks from what I can see on photos.

Ultimately if you want to have a go at researching yourself there are plenty of photos and info out there on the net, I usualy get a pad and

pen and make a list of specific details to check and then check photos and tick off each detail on a specific loco, good luck and most of all have fun.

I'd say the Vitrains 47347 looks closer to the photos I've found of 47588, the underframe tanks are just the basic boxes and it's got standard un-cut ends. The boiler ports on the Vitrains model look to be the rectangle type but the prototype has a round plated boiler - Shawplan does an etch if you want to change this. I've not checked the headcode on both ends of the Vitrains (going by model shop pics as don't have any of my own!) but assuming this is the standard headcode at both ends.

In general though, I've found it much easier working backwards from the prototype than trying to do the above, go through your old trainspotting notes, the Platform 5 books, Flickr etc, find your prototype and then look at whats available RTR and get the wallet/paint/detailing parts out accordingly!! The only trouble is when you find an irresistible bargain at a show so you end up buying a lump of loco, only to find you have limited renumber options!

Thanks everyone for your input. 

I've looked again with all the guidance that all of you chaps have provided and both 47 197 and 47 347 have a flush end so not right for 47588. I'm surprised I didn't notice that sooner! Bit gutted about that! 

• RMweb Premium

Thanks everyone for your input. 

I've looked again with all the guidance that all of you chaps have provided and both 47 197 and 47 347 have a flush end so not right for 47588. I'm surprised I didn't notice that sooner! Bit gutted about that!

Aww no hard luck there! Sometimes you've just got to cut your losses, I picked up a bargain Bachmann large logo blue 47535 but such an awkward combo of flush ends, skinny underframe, bufferbeam and boiler ports meant that not even a repaint would've helped! Ended up flogging it on eBay and using the profits to get a much more useful Parcels '47' instead for my project!!

I may have helped with that......

Funny thing, I'm just thinking about getting my 47535 re sprayed plain blue as that just fits my model era ( up to 85 ) or I may flog it on eBay and get something more early 80s...

With Bachmann announcing 47436 in BR Large Logo Blue, there must be a few options.

Need to be careful there was a surprising (sometimes subtle) variation within this livery. Cab surround black to the roof,or a thin yellow line between the black and the roof. The extent to which the black extended round the side..........

I make 116 possible locos. depends on exactly how the Bachmann model comes out and also how exact a prototype you want.

• 4 weeks later...

I make 116 possible locos. depends on exactly how the Bachmann model comes out and also how exact a prototype you want.

How did you get to that figure?

47436 was ETH, Crewe built with a Spanner boiler so that's just 61 examples.

If you want to include the Brush built ones that's 146.

And that's without picking out the Generators and any headcode box modifications due to accidents, position of ETH box, remaining old ETH brackets, headlights, presence of boiler port covers.....Oh, and three-billion livery variations !!!

Total. Mine. Field.

How did you get to that figure?

47436 was ETH, Crewe built with a Spanner boiler so that's just 61 examples.

If you want to include the Brush built ones that's 146.

And that's without picking out the Generators and any headcode box modifications due to accidents, position of ETH box, remaining old ETH brackets, headlights, presence of boiler port covers.....Oh, and three-billion livery variations !!!

Total. Mine. Field.

Based a quick trawl of class 47 website.... Did take into account headcode box variations and eth position but not boiler port covers to be fair.....like most things it would depend how accurate you like your models I guess

• 4 weeks later...

Is this 47370 in Freightliner livery?

For 47588 do you plan a simple renumber or repaint?

The underframe of 47370 looks to be correct, with Long Range Fuel tank
Sadly 47588 didn't have Long Range Fuel tank, so the underframe would be incorrect

I can't find any other 47/4 with Triple Grey and Long Range Fuel tank

Is this 47370 in Freightliner livery?

For 47588 do you plan a simple renumber or repaint?

The underframe of 47370 looks to be correct, with Long Range Fuel tank

Sadly 47588 didn't have Long Range Fuel tank, so the underframe would be incorrect

I can't find any other 47/4 with Triple Grey and Long Range Fuel tank

Hi there - I'll be looking to remove the Freightliner logos and the new OHLE warning flashes and adding the correct sector logos as necessary. 

If I swap the underframes between 47 370 and 47 347 I should have the correct underframe boxes. What can I do with 47 347 with long range fuel tanks?

What can I do with 47 347 with long range fuel tanks?

What livery is 47347?

Does it have a flush Number 1 end?

I assume it is Triple Grey Metals, if so, this makes renumerbing impossible as no other such loco existed

You would therefore have to consider replacing the sector symbols or a complete repaint

Thanks for your quick replies. Is the no1 end the end with the roof fans? If so then yes it does have a flush end at the no1 end. Not too fussed about changing the sector logos on 47 347 is if it has another suitable TTG doppelganger that I can rename it to once it gains the underframe from 47 370. 

• 2 months later...

Hi again everyone. Planning on leaving my locos with Steve at Grimy Times next weekend for customisation and was wondering if anyone else had any further clarification about the Class 47 numbers and details I've selected? To summarise:

I have two ViTrains Class 47s, 47 347 and 47 370. I'm planning on swapping the underframes between the two so that 47 347 can then be renumbered/re-sectored to 47 588. This will leave me with the body from 47 370 the underframe of 47 347 for which I need a suitable renumbering option in triple grey? Could anyone please confirm that other details (ETH cables, boiler ports etc) are also correct please? 

Thanks in advance

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry it's a month late and a dollar short, I checked a list of flush front 47s that matched 47347 then searched for pictures in sector liveries, boiler ports and bufferbeams. AFAIK compatible locos for 347 are

47204 in Distribution

47210 in Construction (non standard flush end though)

47241 in Distribution

47258 in Distribution

47291 in Distribution

47328 in Construction

47379 in Petroleum

As previously mentioned 347 doesn't become 588 easily so I'm presuming that was a typo/brain fart, apologies if that's not the case

Cheers

Chris H

Hi folks,

I see various retailers flogging some of the 47s off cheap.

The only one of interest is 47365 in RFD later livery.

I'd like to make this into 47033, the distils all seem fine, but the only question mark is boiler exhaust cover ?

What would 033 look like compared to a /3 that never had a boiler ?

I'm not that picky, but if it's ridiculously off I may have to alter to another 47/3

Archived