Peco 0-16.5mm Talyllyn loco kit

talyllyn1

I'm thinking of ditching my burgeoning collection of 00 models which I've been saving up for the "layout that will never happen", and toying with the idea of a 7mm small Talyllyn layout instead.

I only want to do this if i can achieve some good scale realism. i know the Peco kit of No1 Talyllyn has been around for many years, but it seems like a reasonable base to start with, so:-

1) has anybody built one of these kits, and if so, is it a reasonably accurate model?

2) how good is the Branchlines chassis? I will want to use DCC and possibly instal sound.

Assuming positive answers to the above, does anybody make kits for any of the other TR locos, or the rolling stock? Many years ago the Talyllyn railway shop used to sell white metal slate wagon kits and parts such as loco buffers, but I think these are long since discontinued, as are the 7mm drawings they used to sell. I can get by with the drawings in the several TR books I have, although a decent source for them would be useful.

Due to time constraints and advancing years I'm really only going to get one stab at this, and I don't want to end up with too many compromises and being unhappy with the result. I've never modelled in 7mm before, but it seems like a good idea in narrow gauge for space and eyesight considerations.

Any info. would be gratefully appreciated!

• RMweb Gold

Dolgoch and Edward Thomas by ABS Wrightlines, Sir Haydn by Trevor at Mercian http://www.modelrailways.tv/narrow-gauge-header.html

I think some of the small Peco kits are based on Talyllyn wagons too, just the small flats and slate wagon I think as the larger wagons are L&B and Glyn valley prototypes.

The branchlines chassis runs very well and there would probably be just enough room for a micro sound decoder. I haven't built this kit but I've seen a couple built from it and they liked it and the result certainly looked good.

Snap

I have the same idea which will hopefully result in a small club layout. I have built up a small collection of models over the past 3.5 years from Ebay

I have 2 Peco locos Glynn Tram and the Hunslet, I have not measured these for accurcy, however the castings are clean and crisp, easy to put together and as all things lend themselves to extra detailing if you wish.

I have just got a Branchlines chassis for the tram loco,again off Ebay (just finished spraying it a few mins ago). It was built and described as a non runner with a broken motor. Motor is fine the builder just put both insulated wheels on 1 axle and un-insulated on the other. The chassis is a simple fold up and solder design, ran well on a quick test. Other than a slight problem with the motor mount which was solved with a washer, looks to be excellent. So pleased am going to buy a Branchlines chassis for the Hunslet rather than rewheeling (I was going to use Romfords anyway) a set of metal frames from a Hornby 0-4-0 and having to go to the trouble of finding cylinders etc.

Great link to Meridan Models as I wanted a FR Prince loco

This thread about couplings may be of interest

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/52960-auto-couplings-for-0-165-stock/page__fromsearch__1

Also the Railway Modeller has a few bits on 0-16.5 this month

Adrian Swain can be contacted at: ABS Models 39 Napier Road, Poole, Dorset , BH15 4LX icon_tel.gif 01202 672891

A phone call during normal business hours usually answers most queries. Adrian took over the excellent Wrightlines range of kits, most of which are still available, and well worth investigating.

The Branchlines chassis for the three Peco locos are very well designed with built in compensation. With the Peco Talyllyn kit, my only reservation is the loss of daylight under the boiler by driving the front axle. Now that the High Level Kits range of gearboxes is available, I would look to see if it were possible to arrange the drive through the firebox to the rear axle. Avoid the Wrightlines chassis kit for this loco, its pretty crude by todays standards and noisy. It does feature an ingenious gearbox to fit into the firebox, and preserves the daylight under the boiler, but there are easier ways of doing it and the etched Branchlines chassis is a good start. Similarly their Hunslet chassis. The Peco kit for the Hunslet is a good basic model, but again great slabs of whitemetal where the boiler should be! If you take the time to remove this (easier before the kit is assembled !) and substitute a bit of brass tube for the boiler barrel, re-instate the springs and even put a dummy suggestion of the inside valve gear, the appearance is transformed.

The Peco plastic open wagon and van kits are very good and simple to make, avoid the Peco whitemetal 'mineral' wagon (based on a GVT example I think) its an ancient kit and my two efforts were so badly distorted it would have been easier to scratchbuild!

Welcome to the world of 7mm narrow gauge!

Steve

Adrian Swain can be contacted at: ABS Models 39 Napier Road, Poole, Dorset , BH15 4LX icon_tel.gif 01202 672891

A phone call during normal business hours usually answers most queries. Adrian took over the excellent Wrightlines range of kits, most of which are still available, and well worth investigating.

Steve

Thanks for the info Steve.

I actually phoned Adrian a couple of days ago. He was very helpful and I've sent for a catalogue.

• RMweb Premium

If you are proposing getting into 7mm narrow gauge, there are a few societies/forums/magazines to check out.

The 7mm Narrow Gauge Association; http://www.7mmnga.org.uk/ publish a bi-monthly magazine and modelling handbooks, and have a big Sales department for both new and Secondhand.

Their AGM and Convention takes place in Burton on Trent in early June.

The NGRMonline Forum is a narrow gauge version of RMweb, http://ngrm-online.com/ populated by many active modellers, several of whom are building Talyllyn inspired layouts in 4 & 7mm scale.

Finally, for the most inspirational top-notch NG modelling, there is the quarterly magazine "Narrow Gauge & Industrial Railway Modelling Review" (or "The Review" for short) http://www.narrowgaugeandindustrial.com/

Hope this helps,

Dave.T

Thanks for the info Dave.

Whether I join the association (or indeed take up 7mm ng modelling at all) really depends on me obtaining a good selection of TR kits. I don't want to do any other line or freelance.

I'm seriously considering going to the association show at Burton as it's not far from me. Might be some TR stuff for sale!

What I desperately need now are some TR 7mm drawings as i've a feeling a fair bit of scratchbuilding will be needed. i've got various books and magazines but the drawings are the wrong scale. Those in Boyds' book seem to be printed slightly over 7mm - nearer 8mm scale.

Cheers

Dave J.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the info Dave.

Whether I join the association (or indeed take up 7mm ng modelling at all) really depends on me obtaining a good selection of TR kits. I don't want to do any other line or freelance.

I'm seriously considering going to the association show at Burton as it's not far from me. Might be some TR stuff for sale!

What I desperately need now are some TR 7mm drawings as i've a feeling a fair bit of scratchbuilding will be needed. i've got various books and magazines but the drawings are the wrong scale. Those in Boyds' book seem to be printed slightly over 7mm - nearer 8mm scale. Cheers Dave J.

I have a few drawings, but I cant remember what (or where!) I will see what I can find.

Have you tried scanning and re-sizing the drawings you have?

Cheers,

Dave.

I have a few drawings, but I cant remember what (or where!) I will see what I can find.

Have you tried scanning and re-sizing the drawings you have?

Cheers,

Dave.

That would be really helpful Dave - when you have time.

I've thought about scanning and resizing and i might give it a go, but my IT skills area a bit rustic!

cheers

Dave J

What I desperately need now are some TR 7mm drawings as i've a feeling a fair bit of scratchbuilding will be needed. i've got various books and magazines but the drawings are the wrong scale. Those in Boyds' book seem to be printed slightly over 7mm - nearer 8mm scale.

Surely the scale of the drawing is completely irrelevant. Any drawing can be rescaled to the scale desired as long as the scale is known or can be ascertained from an actual measurement of a component part. The essential thing is that the drawing is accurate in its detail.

That's true, and I can get by with the original TR stock. What i don't have in any scale is TR locos 3,4, 5 and 6, or the Corris brake van, 4-wheel GVT coaches and semi-opens or TR standard bogie stock. I'm hoping to model the TR as it was in c.1970.

Narrow lines did a series of soft back books with drawings in, series called Narrow Lines Extra. No idea if they did Talyllyn. I have the Welsh Highland Railway, Festiniog pre and post presevation and a book of additional plans (no Talyllyn) which hapenes to be No 10 so there is a good chance of one being for the Talyllyn

Locos

Here is a usefull website with lists of what plans were in which model railway mag

http://home.ca.inter.net/~brmna/xrefs.htm

TR Dolgoch in O-16.5, 0-4-0T, 7mm CA RM DEC 2001 TR NG O-16.5, Tal-y-Llyn loco construction, 7mmNG CA RM APR 1988 TR No 7 - 'Tom Rolt' (A), 0-4-2, 7mm DR RM SEP 1991 TR No. 2 Dolgoch, 0-4-0T DR MRN OCT 1965 TR Talylynn pre 1958, 0-4-0ST DR MRN SEP 1965

List of drawings in Railway Modeller and Model Railway news

Coaches

TR 3rd class coach No. 18 DR MRN JUN 1965 TR Brake Van DR MRN SEP 1965 TR Coach Nos. 1,2,3 DR MRN SEP 1965 TR Coach No. 4 DR MRN OCT 1965 TR Coaches, 7mm CA MRN AUG 1965 WL Welshpool elegance, 7mm CA MRJ #10 1998

& wagons

TR Covered van DR MRN SEP 1965 TR Gunpowder van DR MRN SEP 1965 TR Incline open wagon DR MRN SEP 1965 TR Loco & wagon models IN RM JAN 1988 TR Rail/timber bolster DR MRN SEP 1965 TR Slate DR MRN SEP 1965 TR Splay sided, iron end door open DR MRN SEP 1965 TR Straight sided, iron end door open DR MRN SEP 1965 TR Van no 5, 7mm DR BRM NOV 1994 TR Wooden van DR MRN SEP 1965

Hope these help

That's true, and I can get by with the original TR stock. What i don't have in any scale is TR locos 3,4, 5 and 6, or the Corris brake van, 4-wheel GVT coaches and semi-opens or TR standard bogie stock. I'm hoping to model the TR as it was in c.1970.

Wrightlines (ABS) do etched kits for all the Glyn Valley coaches and they are very pleasing vehicles, I have built seven to date! with two more to do. They also do the Brown Marshall coaches for the TR. And a plastic kit for the GVT brake and goods vans but that probably does not concern you. Worsley Works do etched kits for the TR 'modern' bogie coaches but you have to supply your own bogies and interior detailing, I built Nos. 22 & 20 but now conclude they don't look "period" enough for my scheme. Nice coaches though and reasonably priced.

Narrow lines did a series of soft back books with drawings in, series called Narrow Lines Extra. No idea if they did Talyllyn. I have the Welsh Highland Railway, Festiniog pre and post presevation and a book of additional plans (no Talyllyn) which hapenes to be No 10 so there is a good chance of one being for the Talyllyn

Locos

Here is a usefull website with lists of what plans were in which model railway mag

http://home.ca.inter...brmna/xrefs.htm

Many thanks for the link - very useful indeed.

Dave J.

Dave

I find this site realy good for building 4mm whitemetal kits, never thought of using it for narrow gauge, so I have done myself a favour as well

Just looked at the buildings section

TR All change at Abergynolwyn, ng, station building, R. Palk, 7mm CA MRC NOV 1976 TR Station, Abergynolwyn new building, 4mm DR RM AUG 1975 TR Station, Abergynolwyn (A), 4mm DR RM DEC 1990 TR Tal-y-Llyn stations SP PMR JAN 1986 TR Talyllyn railway stations 1951 & 1982 SP RM JAN 1988 TR Wharf Station (1865 & 1930) SP RM MAY 1992

• RMweb Premium

Hope these help

Somebody else may be able to comment more accurately, but I don't recall there being much Talyllyn in the Narrow Lines Extras.

It would be well worth while joining the NGRMonline Forum and doing a search for "Talyllyn", you're bound to find more information already there.

I have a very old 7mm-scale model of Rhydyronen Station building that I dont need, I can post a picture if anyone's interested?

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Somebody else may be able to comment more accurately, but I don't recall there being much Talyllyn in the Narrow Lines Extras.

It would be well worth while joining the NGRMonline Forum and doing a search for "Talyllyn", you're bound to find more information already there.

The contents of all of the 7mmNGA books are all available on the website http://www.7mmnga.org.uk/ You need to log on as a 'member' - but don't worry as you don't have to join to view anything - the password part is there for future use. Follow the instructions using 'Member' and 'password' :O

I seem to recall from my time on the Committee of 7mmNGA that there was serious talk of a Talyllyn drawings book but it wasn't progressed as I believe that the TR already had a full set of drawings that were available at that time. However this page on their website indicates that it is now out of print.

http://www.talyllyn.co.uk/details/drawings

I would also recommend NRGM - but also stick with RMweb as Dave and many others do :sungum:

Finally an advert for the 7mmNGA exhibition at Burton on Trent Town Hall 9th June - all of the 7mm NG suppliers should be there.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

That would be really helpful Dave - when you have time.

I've thought about scanning and resizing and i might give it a go, but my IT skills area a bit rustic!

cheers Dave J

Hi Dave,

I've dug out my Talyllyn drawings, and to be quite honest they dont add to what you already have in the Boyd book (some of them are actually photocopies from Boyd!) so theres little point in me scanning and sending them.

If you need them printed to the correct size, the easiest way is to scan and then print them at 100%. Then measure the difference in scale, and from that you can work out the % reduction or enlargement needed, then print to that size.

For instance, if the drawing prints out at 8mm/ft at 100%, then 100 divided by 8 = 12.5, then 12.5 x 7 = 87.5, tell the printer to print at 87.5%, and you should have the drawing at 7mm/ft. (emphasis on "should"!)

Hope this helps

Dave.

Thanks for that Dave, I knew there would be a formula to rescale, but I just couldn't figure it out!

I've now managed to get 7mm drawings in back issues of magazines for most of the TR stock - thanks to the link posted earlier.

All I'm lacking are the modern (Tisdale) bogie coaches, 4-wheel opens and locos 3 and 4.

I've got a drawing for the Barclay E class which I can use for No 6 Douglas. I'm going to need a trip to Tywyn to measure up the extended cab back, front buffer beam and angle valance fitted by the TR . Seems like a good excuse to renew my aquantance with my favourite railway :D

cheers

Dave

Archived