Lenz Booster Transformer

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

I'm running a Lenz LZV100 powered by a TR100 Transformer. I'm adding a LV102 Booster to increase the available power.

I have two 15v 5 amp transformers available, is there any advantage/disadvantage with using a transformer for each? Lenz show both running from one transformer in their wiring diagram but that seems counter intuitive to me.

Thanks in advance

Colin

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

I'm running a Lenz LZV100 powered by a TR100 Transformer. I'm adding a LV102 Booster to increase the available power.

I have two 15v 5 amp transformers available, is there any advantage/disadvantage with using a transformer for each? Lenz show both running from one transformer in their wiring diagram but that seems counter intuitive to me.

Thanks in advance

Colin

I have just looked. It shows separate transformers for each unit.

http://www.digital-plus.de/e/digitalplus-verstaerker-lv102.php

Keith

..... is there any advantage/disadvantage with using a transformer for each?

Lenz show both running from one transformer in their wiring diagram but that seems counter intuitive to me.

I have just looked. It shows separate transformers for each unit.

http://www.digital-p...erker-lv102.php

Keith

Colin, you must use a separate power supply (transformer) for each Power Station (Booster).

Lenz state this clearly and AFAIA show it in all their wiring diagrams.

....I'm adding a LV102 Booster to increase the available power......

I feel sure that the booster won't increase the available power unless you give it a separate transformer.

Personally I'd be a little wary of using the term "increase the available power", as it sounds equally as misleading as the term "Booster".

Nothing is "boosted" and there is generally no "increase in power" as such, only more of it (Yes that does sound a little contradictory ! ).

Ron

But interestingly then in 7.2 after telling you how to do it they contradict themselves and say they don't reccomend it! :D

The LV102 instructions linked by Melmerby above show two linked in parrallel with separate transformers, and I can vouch that it works.

No wonder Colin was confused. ;)

But interestingly then in 7.2 after telling you how to do it they contradict themselves and say they don't reccomend it! :D

No wonder Colin was confused. ;)

I was puzzled by that too, but read it again carefully.

It is saying that 2 Power stations operating in parallel as a pair (either a LZV + LV or a LV + LV) should use a single transformer.

Any other pairs must use their own separate transformer.

A maximum of 2 Power Stations can be arranged in parallel (i.e. a pair).

7.2 Common transformer

It is not recommended using a common transformer to power your LZV100/LV102 or LV102 pairs.

If it helps, the diagram in chapter 5 on page 8 shows this. Compare it with the diagram in the previous chapter 4 on page 7.

Archived