BRM July 2012

Dicky W

• Administrators

Hi all,

We hope you like the July issue. This is the first time we've created a 'themed issue' across the magazine, Model-Railways-Live and RMweb. You'll see we have something new going live on MRL every day of the magazine month (June 14-July 12) that's related to scenery. It has been a huge project, but one we really feel has been worthwhile!

Here are a few other things to note:

NO bag!

Yep, you've read it right. Like the June edition, July's Scenery Special of BRM is NOT bagged! This will allow you to browse in newsagents/supermarkets and make an informed decision whether to buy the magazine (or not)!

Paper quality

The feedback we've received about the improved paper used in the June issue has been extremely positive, hence we will continue using this better paper going forward. However, the 32-page Modelling Inspiration section is on an even better quality paper to ensure the amazing images by Andy York are reproduced to as high a standard as possible!

Advert placement

Apart from the odd single page, all adverts are either at the front of the magazine or grouped at the back.

I hope you like the July issue. Thanks,

Steve

Obviously I'm a bit biased but I honestly have to say it should be a cracking issue with a massive amount of 'eye-candy' mixed in with some interesting practical material. It's anticipated that demand will be quite good for the printed copies on the newsstand shelves as a.) it won't be bagged and b.) there should be a lot to grab attention so please make sure you get in. The other interesting feedback to hear will be over paper quality; there was a good jump forward anyway last month but the boat's being pushed out a bit further on the MI supplement which is bound into the centre of the magazine. Another interesting thing will be to see reaction to the landscape format of MI; I've got visions of modellers turning the mag around looking at centrefolds ;)

From a personal perspective I've just looked at the contents on the page above and conservatively estimate there's probably 200+ hours of my life invested in those pages so I hope you like it enough to pick one up off the shelf to take home. :read:

• Administrators

Also, there's a lot of content from RMweb'ers!

Andy's been very busy with some cracking instructional features:

How to create...sea-water

How to model a... beach

How to model... grass

Michael Russell also has two superb scenic articles:

How to... make realistic weeds

How to... make water colour backscenes

Both Andy and Michael also have some extra exclusive articles going on MRL during the Scenery Month. All will be revealed in the July issue.

John de Frayssinet's new layout, Cliffhanger, is also shown for the first time. This is an extremely impressive layout and one you're going to want to see! His other two stunning scenic layouts - County Gate and Bratton Flemming - will be appearing on MRL during the month too.

This is just for starters... there's 32-pages of Modelling Inspiration. We'll give you a taste of that tomorrow.

Chris has just finished our Next Month video so we'll upload this tomorrow to whet your appetitie evev more!

Andy's been very busy with some cracking instructional features:

How to create...sea-water

How to model a... beach

How to model... grass

If it is like the Peco track article it will be well worth a read!

Informative, concise and exact.

khris

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's been printed and we've got hold of a couple of issues, and I have to say the combined magazine looks pretty good. It's nice to see MI in print and I hope it goes down well!

Hopefully (fingers crossed) subscribers should get theirs this weekend - otherwise you'll have to wait until next Thursday, unless you bump into me at Railfest on Sunday - should have a copy with me!

• RMweb Premium

On my Calander it says BRM on sale on 8th June. Has there been a slippage of dates? I subscribe digitally since a couple of months ago but was expecting to be able to read it by now. What is happening please?

Thanks

Ian in Blackpool

Hi Ian,

The on-sale date is June 14th, but subscribers get it a few days earlier.

/

Thanks,

Steve

My newsagent asked me, do you want this months mag , when they send it ?

I ordered last months, and thought it was a great read, the newsagent said they will automatically send the next one. :locomotive:

I said go on i will force myself to read it :mosking:, it comes just in time to take on holiday, gonna try not to peek at it until im at the campsite.

Someone is trying to drum up some excitement about the appearance of the next issue, I can tell. Keep calm and carry on, say I, for the good of your health. In that connection let us hope that MI really does stand for Modelling Inspiration and not Myocardial Infarct [i heard that one on Casualty, it means heart attack].

Chris

Looks to be a cracking issue.

But the music on the video promo is insipid. Fortunately I can still find the mute button.....Or how about a very good ex-Colliery brass ensemble with a virtuoso E-flat.

On the upside it is much to be appreciated that we can now download for PC (and MAC) platforms. No more Silverlight and 45 second delay turning a page.

• RMweb Gold

Downloaded my copy to the iPad this morning...the first time it has worked seamlessly since the app was debugged/upgraded.

First impressions are that it looks to be a great issue.

Ok, so the page turner thingy is still there, but ignoring that, there is some great content including some nice 'how to's from Mr Y and the Modelling Inspiration best of extract is very fine indeed.

Will put my feet up with a cold beer later and work my way through it.

Well done to all those involved...I was considering terminating my 6 month trial suscription when it ended...but this edition may have just revoked that...;)

Got the latest issue in Leeds yesterday. Not read it properly yet but on the surface looks to be a vast improvement IMHO.

Like the glossy paper and the lack of bag.

The MI stuff looks great in print and lots of stuff from Andy Y.

Looks like there is some interesting stuff, especially the articles on backscenes and weeds and the Cliffhanger layout project.

This is the way to go. Keep it up. :good:

• RMweb Gold

Yet to see it but from what folk are saying is it now time for Warners/BRM to do a bit of selling and start tapping up all of those who let their subscriptions lapse in the past year or so? The magazine has definitely moved on from where it was when my sub lapsed in December and while I had a reminder a while back I certainly wasn't tempted to renew although what is happening now is starting to put temptation my way once again - so perhaps it's time to do some selling?

so perhaps it's time to do some selling?

Although some folk seem a touch averse to it (strange considering who's now paying for provision of the site) hopefully promoting the mag through RMweb will make people more aware of the contents and quality so that they want to buy it. I think the July issue is a major milestone in a magazine bringing a 'multi-media' approach to an issue which can be summarised as follows:

BRM steadily improving with strong ideas and feedback from forum members and readers and also providing opportunities for the readers to give feedback.

Inclusion of MI and input from other RMweb members.

Over 30 additional articles for the month on the MRL site - https://www.model-railways-live.co.uk/Features/BRM_Scenery_Special_Your_Timetable/

That's actually some going.

Let me get this right....MI started life as an electronic copy on RMW. It is now available in printed form with the latest issue of BRM. So if an online subscriber gets the latest issue of BRM electronically, he gets.........an electronic copy of a paper version of an electronic copy.......errrrr I'll get my coat...

No critisicm intended btw just my strange musing on the subject.

Stewart

Archived