BRM July 2012

Dicky W

• RMweb Premium

Bearing in mind the warm reception that the change of style has received for BRM, would it be a fair assumption to expect regular contributions from Andy Y and other RMwebbers?

Maybe Dicky can comment on this?

Jeff

• Administrators

Hi Jeff,

It's definitely a fair assumption. We're in the final stages of the August issue of BRM which has a total of 5 active RMwebbers featured: I'll give you a low down on content and the RMwebbers in question when we get near the on-sale date. Their content is first-class (as expected)!

Steve

• RMweb Gold

Hmm - interesting and definitely advancing at a good (and very welcome) pace. The RMweb aka Andy Y influence has really started to shine through in this issue and the overall impression is upwards so the thing now is to see if it can be maintained at this level and if that is the case I'll probably renew my subscription (which lapsed at the end of last year).

The furore about ad pages among the editorial content has at last gone away (but the number of ad pages in that position has reduced and as a percentage declined in the July issue (although no different from June in number) and the page editing and placing of them is now much better and looks to me to work well. Paper and print standards are up and wjile Dave Larkin's article in June was as good as ever the 'muddy' pics let it down badly.

I have muttered in the case of two other July mags about the amount of space devoted to reviews and 'announcements about announcements' and while I haven;t done a page count BRM seems to be steering clear of going down that line to the same extent as two of its competitors - a genuine difference in editorial approach and style there which as far as I'm concerned is welcome.

Having been away on holiday I purchased all four mainstream railway modelling magazines this month as a possible hedge against bad weather.

I spent more time reading BRM than the other three combined. This tells me that BRM must be pressing a lot of the right buttons.

I started buying BRM again a few months back and have been enjoying it. This time, some lovely stuff in it. Michael Russell's scenic articles are very good! I can't stand magazines when things appear landscape - for reading articles it's just annoying, so I didn't really bother with MI. Landscape's fine on a PC but not for a magazine.

Not sure if I'm keen on all the RMweb references throughout... And I must have missed the 'thousands of experts' who are apparently on RMweb!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Late with a comment here as I took my copy on holiday - I feel that the RMWeb influence has as has been said, has resulted in a vast improvement in a mag and I really did like having a hard copy of some of the best of MI. If this keeps up then I can see another subscription starting.

Archived