Claterinbrigg GNSR

sulzer27jd

What started off as a trial of the C&L laser cut point kits, has kind of developed into:

Claterinbrigg, located on a Great North of Scotland Railway branch line to the coastal villages in Moray.

40774399965_cb94b82be0_c.jpg

Traffic is light and consists of a local passenger service. Seen here heading towards the branch terminus;

8915657118_65b228cef0_c.jpg

The ex Caledonian 2P 0-4-4T has been relocated to "foreign" metals and is in charge of the shuttle from terminus to the branch junction, just a few miles away.
It is seen returning with a working to the junction;

40954825564_7113e825ce_c.jpg

Freight services are normally in the hands of LNER locos displaced from other duties, but today more modern power is in use. Sulzer type 2 D5095 shunts the small yard;
12717226755_3f760ee01d_c.jpg

A tranquil moment. Well, actually that's most of the time!

39858190790_3ea4502201_c.jpg

The freight service works into the terminus before running directly back to the junction. Fish vans head up the traffic for Aberdeen;

12727649223_cccba19763_c.jpg

A view showing most of the layout, from the fiddle yard entrance;

12717256315_87b7f4bc7b_c.jpg

And an overall view. The layout is 5'4" x 20";

41665503711_f4ce12b7db_c.jpg

Hope you enjoy

J

Thanks Martin. The station is typical of the GNSR stone built stations much used throughout their territory. A number still exist, including Dufftown as pert of the Keith & Dufftown Railway. Stonework uses local stone and rubble infill, all of which is built with mortar joints that are rubbed flush to prevent frost damage, its a bit agricultural in appearance. I have tried to represent this with paint, in various shades mixed with talc. It could probably do with weathering down a little but gives the flush finish. The timber central section would originally have been an open seating area, but these were quickly filled in as a defence against the weather.

As for size, it is not dissimilar to Nethybridge which had a similar layout. I am working on the level crossing gates, again the same as Nethybridge.

J

Thanks for posting these photos. The station building looks very nice - immediate GNS street-cred! - and, even more, the whin bushes give a great sense of place. How did you tackle them?

Graham

• RMweb Premium

Some lovely modelling, and most atmospheric.

I'm unfamiliar with the GNSR, so I'm looking forward to learning more about it.

Many thanks,

Dave.T

Just found this one, thanks Pennine for the tip-off! Absolutely fantastic, suitably minimalist, lovely Moray atmosphere, I can smell the gorse and feel midges in the clear air, I'm hooked :angel:

• 2 weeks later...

......and how was the trial?

Reasonably successful thanks. And thanks to all for the +ve comments above. One thing to be aware of is that the pre-cut timbers as they are laid out do not match the C&L paper templates. The baseboard I used had a very light top surface onto which another layer of ply was added where the tracks ran. I set these using the paper templates and as a result there is a minor kink in the approach to the yard to accommodate the difference. I got away with it because of the simple plan but if you did this at a complex junction it could cause chaos.

In terms of construction the stronger solvent supplied gives a good hold (relatively quickly), but it is still possible to lift and adjust (as I had to do re above) without destroying either the chair or the sleeper. I also bought the timber sleepers from C&L for the plain track and these include the slightly wider timbers for track panel joints, although the thinner timbers do seem to be on the small side. They may well be correct but there is little tolerance for accommodating a chair onto a slightly mis-aligned sleeper.

Would I use them again? For simple trackwork, Yes

J

• 3 months later...

Claterinbrigg had its first outing at exhibition this weekend when I attended Aberdeen MRC. Their kind invitation allowed the Grampian S4 Group an outing on home turf and of course a GNSR prototype was right at home. It had been intended to run in the BR Green diesel period but the ignominious failure of a Heljan class 26 rather upset those plans. However a good weekend was had by all. The small band of the GS4 Group actually contains few modellers of local prototypes and as we were also demonstrating the existence of P4 souls in the NE, some fun was had running a variety of stock.

39859509330_779f42ae45_c.jpg

An ex Caley 0-4-4T works the local passenger

8134222509_23b3109499_c.jpg

The exMR 4F were not common in the NE of the country, but a 2P did run about in LMS livery into at least 1951. So mixing our metaphors I was running a 4F in LMS livery. [On a selection of MR PO wagons from a previous project!]

8915649474_2728d07be3_c.jpg

8134222271_632aa231f1_c.jpg

Another tenuous link, was this use of a J72

26798664677_f2c1f6a601_c.jpg

And normal service is resumed with local Sulzer D5095. One visitor noted the loco and remembered it running regularly to Fraserburgh and Peterhead.

40775875435_5dba5c92f8_c.jpg

Being a definite backwater, this is much more in keeping with the setting.

40775652085_4eb2c06364_c.jpg

Rather pleasingly the likeness between the model and its inspiration was noted by a number of visitors. One recalled using the station and another couple discussed where it had been located, even with the written information telling them it was a fictitious location.

All in all a very pleasant weekend. Thanks to Aberdeen MRC for the invite and to the GS4 Group for their help.

j

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

John,

Fabulous stuff and despite enjoying your mainline adventures past Balbeggie Sidings, I'm glad that you've been tempted back to P4 for a while at least. Will we see an A2 sneaking in now you've also turned the clock back 20 years?

Cheers

Gus

Here are a few more pics taken at the Aberdeen exhibition;

We were showing a variety of P4 stock, so this scene has bits from a previous ex MR project of mine. Like some aged rock band they are reformed for the first time in 20 years!

8134249100_fcdfa20692_z.jpg

Fellow Grampian P4 modeller Tony Wickes used the occasion to show us how locomotives should run. Here his GWR 2600 class Aberdare 2673 leads a short passenger train;

8174489848_fb75405372_z.jpg

More typical local fare, with a Sulzer type 2 leading a short freight;

8134221127_89b080e9a2_z.jpg

And this shows the size of the layout with an overall view;

8174455889_f42d8d8ce3_z.jpg

Many thanks for the positive feedback - much appreciated

John

John, speaking as one who plans/models terminii, it's refershing to see a wayside through station convincingly modelled in 4mm Finescale, not as simple as you think, but you have captured it well.

This should hopefully inspire others to dip their toes in the water and take the plunge themselves-with a little stock and a lot of determination!

• 1 month later...

Wow, I was beginning to wonder if anyone on here had any interest in our corner of the world! This looks really good, I've looked at loads of old OS maps of stations in the area and this follows the local pattern very well.

If I hadn't been working away, I would have gone along to that exhibition for some much needed inspiration!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

As a follow-up to Claterinbrigg I have a more extensive home based project underway. Here is one of my fleet from Balbeggie Sidings posed as if waiting for the Down Starter. 

17493304465_b517000992_z.jpg

GNSR area again, details are uncertain as I am making it up as i go along.

John

• 5 months later...

Archived