Butchering K’s Stroudley 4 Wheelers

• RMweb Premium

Hi Eric,

Very nice - I like the effect of the 8-carriage set, nicely close-coupled. Nice touch with the spoked wheels on the brakes and the enlarged windows in 3rd class.

Do you have any issues with the weight of the coaches (even after your efforts at reducing it, there's still a lot of whitemetal) and the haulage power of "Wandle"?

Cheers,

Dave

They look fantastic as a set, Eric.

I am quite prepared to be told that mere suburban coaches would have been given a mahogany paint finish, with varnished wood reserved for more prestigious rolling stock like family saloons.

Judging by what other companies (for example the LNWR) did in the smoky environs of London, varnished wood was the preferred choice as it resisted better the concentrated sulphurous exhaust compared to a varnished paint finish which needed to be stripped and re-coated more frequently, so I'm surprised that the later umber livery was also adopted in the inner-suburban routes.

Victorian mahogany tended to be of a reddish hue (rather than the more purple colour of current sources)

I'd certainly agree with that - I know it's a bit of a tangent, but look at Brian May's Red Special guitar which is made from mahogany taken from an 18th Century fireplace. The finish is obviously very different from that given to coaches - Brighton using copal varnish which has a yellow hue, and May using Rustins clear plastic coating which is a colourless lacquer that doesn't affect the colour of the wood beneath. The point is, his guitar has a very distinctive red colouration, unlike the purple of more modern mahoganies.

Hi Eric,

Do you have any issues with the weight of the coaches (even after your efforts at reducing it, there's still a lot of whitemetal) and the haulage power of "Wandle"?

Cheers,

Dave

Dave

Thanks

With 38 inches of train and 48 inches of the current layout, haulage power is not really a problem at the moment! However, I have to admit that I do not have great hopes of seeing a plastic-bodied Wandle scampering off with 8 white metal coaches. Maybe they will find their role in life parked in a carriage siding (which will be a bit tough on the passengers).

Best wishes

Eric

• RMweb Premium

There are some very interesting approaches here...especially regarding the painting.

I have a set of four Etched Pixels N gauge examples that are soon going to be constructed, although intended for a slightly later period in their careers - c.1890. The livery tips will be most helpful.

• RMweb Premium

post-2173-0-77848900-1342553489_thumb.jpg

Hi Eric

That looks brilliant!

I am just in the process of making up some test etches of a fully sprung set. May be ready for AGM?

I liked the look of the block set that will appear in a Brighton Circular soon so had a go as I have always wanted to get a better chassis etched.

Cheers

Ian in Blackpool

• Like 1

Lovely modelling. As I understand it from my late father, who was brought up in the High Wycombe funiture trade, "proper" mahogony is Honduras mahogony, which is indeed a lovely deep reddish colour. This has been virtually unobtainable for several decades and was superceded by Brazillian mahogony, and then this in turn by so-called African "mahogany" and other mahogony substitutes.

Thanks to all for the "Like this" ticks and for the comments.

Claude D - the weathering technique is not original, but copied from Chris Cox of 5&9 Models, who has used it on a number of the coaches illustrated at http://www.5and9models.co.uk/coaches.html. I think he uses Humbrol enamels but I prefer acrylics and adapted the technique.

Thanks to Buckjumper and Break Compo for the confirmation of the issues around the colour of mahogany - I shall look forward to quoting Brian May's guitar as an authoritative source to illustrate the proper colour!

Finally Ian, having just finished one Stroudley block set, it may take me a little time to recover from the experience and think about a second one in etched brass! On the other hand, a nice outside framed Craven goods engine would fit really well on the current layout project.............. :scratchhead:

Best wishes

Eric

• Like 1

I would very much enjoy seeing the reaction to your citing the Red Special :D

I've been reading back over some some notes I have here which suggest the Stroudley carriages had Moulmein (Burmese) teak underframes, and the bodies were mahogany with teak framing. If the teak was simply varnished that would create quite a patchwork look to the carriages. Do you think the teak might have been stained / scumbled / painted to retain a uniform look?

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

Very impressive work Burgundy and a project after my own heart.  I've recently tried making the Roxey Moulding kits but as a newb to soldering found them a little challenging so for bulk production purposes I decided to also buy the IoW resin sets by SmallBrooke Studio as an experimental and slightly cheaper alternative.

IMG_6606_zpsf9dyzjyz.jpg

With all the flash and other imperfections i'm not sure if I would recommend them for altering into how they originally were but thats what i'm doing and they still look better than the Bachmann Thomas Range ones at least. 

IMG_6813_zpsucic4iz2.jpg

Lopping off the battery boxes with a disc cutter and replacing the beading on the ends

IMG_6835_zpsn3r6jn5m.jpg

( thirty thou rod, but is a shade big and have got some ten and twenty thou now coming in the post )

to make the change over isn't too difficult but as these are my first kits I have a few questions if you or anyone else can answer them.

Could you tell me what you used for the 'top hats' as these wouldn't of been in your IoW kits either ;)  I've experimented with Evergreen '225' 4mm rod but its not quite good enough by itself.

IMG_6830_zpsdtzvn9r4.jpg

The 'top hats' lantern ventilators seem bigger in some photos

4_wheel_carriages_zps3qaiwnru.jpg

and kits i've seen such as Roxey Mouldings 7mm scale photos but i've not heard any text mention of them changing size during production history-anyone know about this?

The bungs were not given or even mentioned with the Roxey Kits and instructions, so any ideas of how to imitate these and possibly the chains? 

bluebell%20coach%20stroudley_zpsrrvce5ut

Are the transfers you used from Fox?

Anyone know which company would be good to use for the chairs? I found these but there is no mention of who made them.

Soldering%204_zpsmmlyyk29.jpg

Lastly, with the close coupled sets did these still have the steps and hand rail on the one end of each coach or, as they were normally linked in rakes, would the ones on the guard coaches be sufficient for workers to use and hop across? :read:

Help will be most appreciated for this rookie.

Edited by steves17
  • Like 2

Steve

Nice to see another set of Stroudley vehicles under construction. I have never built any Smallbrook Studios resin kits but I understand that they have a lot in common with the K's white metal products.

The definitive book on the subject is LB&SCR Carriages Vol 1 by Ian White, Simon Turner and Sheina Foulkes. There may well have been more than one design of top hat for oil lamps  but I simply bought some from 5&9 models, whose website is linked above. I know that Chris is only doing kits as batches at the moment but small items like this may well be in stock so it is worth an e mail. If you run your carriages in daylight, the wooden bungs should not be a problem. They were used to plug the empty pot when there was no lamp in place, so should only be on the roof when lamps were provided.

The transfers came from the Brighton Circle.

There were three different types of Stroudley 4 wheeler. The early suburban vehicles had a single centre buffer and would not have had space for any steps up the inside ends of the vehicles. At a later date, suburban coaches had short side buffers but were still pretty close. I cannot see evidence of end steps on each vehicle but I have not found a definite answer. Main line stock had ordinary long buffers and I have seen at least one drawing that shows steps up the end of a non brake vehicle.

The seating strips that you have used look the same as the ones that I used in the first class carriages. Third class had plain wooden seats and painted plasticard did the job. Second class had some stuffing in the seats and I think I used the same seat strips in a different colour. By the time that you have the roof on, there is not a lot to see!

Good luck with the project and I shall look forward to seeing the finished set.

Best wishes

Eric 

Many thanks for the reply Eric as its proved most helpful. I contacted Chris at 5 & 9 Models and he has kindly agreed to cast me a few parts in a whiles time. I've also had the chance to read further into that early coach book by Ian White and co. Quite a few of my previous prototype questions were actually covered in there-so egg on my face and looking on pages 36 & 50-51 the penny finally dropped about what exactly the bungs were for in addition to the top hat protectors etc.  

I might be disappointing you by saying my coaches are for a railway based in fiction that started in 1870 but i've been getting into my LB&SC research and think i've found a solution to try and get the best of both worlds. My first set will be an early non continuous braked incarnation with the central buffers ( i'm sure they will be able to get around 2ft radius corners ) and will have the square base top hat protectors. I'm not 100% sure what livery i'll will be doing for these yet but have filled in the beaded duckets to represent the pieces of sheet iron that were used to originally form them.

IMG_6841_zpsgqqibpex.jpg

The second prototype is fictional but as it happens will be a similar colour to your ones, though I will be going with round based top hats, similar to the ones that come the Roxey's 4mm kits ( they are incorrect though as I've since found out there were none of these on the LB&SC coaches but I have my reasons ). I will be adding westinghouse brakes on these in some form of chassis detailing, so will also have Mansell disc on the guards coach plus the close set coaches will have short buffers on the one beam and wooden stubs on the opposing end.  

The third lot are the most furthest removed from prototype. These will be electrically lit but both ends of the coaches will have LB&SC type short buffers ( the ones below the guards compartment that link up to the engine will have the long type throughout the eras ). I could do with a little help with these as I can't seem to find the ventilators i'm wanting to use. I think they are called twin torpedoes but outside a large garden layout scale company,

http://www.grsuk.com/Torpedo_Ventilators_Coach_Small_-_12_off-M2717

the closest I can find are these flattened type.

http://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/no-nonsense-kits/products/castings/cw310-sr-shoe-fuse-box-18.html

What i'm after are like these ( either or ).

IMG_6851_zpsnhvyf21j.jpg

As i'm now making a third era variant I'm awaiting another 8 to be cast and posted but the 12 bodies i've already got are almost ready for a prime. I found twenty thou strip to be about correct for the beading over my original thirty thou experiment.

IMG_6845_zpshlrjzsza.jpg

( need to fill in that one that came out a bit short )

I'm currently on the fence about including steps on the one side of each non guard coach but i've seen a few close set photos that feature grab handles at the corner of the roof of where they would no doubt be, so I think i'm going to go ahead with them. I could probably fashion some out of a plastic L strip by using a file but given the number of them I'll need, plus the difficulty of trying to make the small pieces identical will be a major hassle. Is there a firm that make an etch? 

Cheers 

Steve

Edited by steves17

Regarding your third option of roof vents, have you looked at the MJT Range at Dart Castings or Wizard? The latter's GWRC040 looks a possible match. Comet also have a range, but no pictures at the moment. Looking at the Phoenix vent, the flattening seems to be in the wrong plane for your requirements, although I suspect that the examples you have chosen are not actually prototypical - the lower roof in the photo looks like a simplified Mk1 carriage roof moulding, and doesn't look too much like the item it is supposed to represent, and I am not sure of the provenance of the upper roof at all, and I doubt if anything exactly like them appeared on UK rolling stock. That roof brings to mind the old Lima GWR Horse Box whose roof was covered in a veritable forest of conical ventilators - beautifully mounded but totally fictitious!

Thanks for the pointers. I think you are right about those examples I had as being 'incorrect'. I acquired the one coach as part of a group buy sometime back and have just found it online-its an old Hornby product.

http://www.ehattons.com/160428/Hornby_R23_SD_B_R_Operating_Royal_Mail_Coach_M30224_Pre_owned_Numbering_worn_on_one_side_sc/StockDetail.aspx

This BR mk1 example's torpedoes are similar again but comparing to the various prototype photos have concluded its appearance is just down to the old moulding technique. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jouef-HO-BR-mk1-coach-roof-for-brake-coach-spare-/271787396446?nma=true&si=SV%252FNKI%252BS9FKps4ZuoCTkJXe%252B8uE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Anyway yeah I can't top that GWR type you mentioned in my searches so will go for that, cheers. The last thing I really need now are the steps going up to the roofs. I have been looking about but my searches always end up with ones that come as part of a complete coach kit or individual wise the types that sit below doors. I'm not exactly worried about prototype here so there must be a place i'm missing to get something like these-

IMG_6852_zpsyd8iyq9k.jpg

Anyway no progress today coach wise but i've half constructed 3 CCT vans by Parkside-now these crisp mouldings go together beautifully with little fussing about :sungum:

I  have  rebuilt  a  slightly  later  Billinton  carriage  from  a  similar  block  set.  (12"  to  the  foot  scale)

This  was  originally  close  coupled  and  did  have  end  steps.  One  set  of  three  similar  to  the  photo in  the  post  above.

These  vehicles  were  a  slightly  altered  version  of  the  later  Stroudley  carriages.

The  pannelling  on  the  duckets   shown  earlier being  filled  was  fitted  after  1911  when  the  width  of  these  was  reduced.

Prior  to  this  the  ducket  was  wider  (all  end  windows  same  width)  and  covered  with  a  plain  steel  sheet.  On  the  earlier  Stroudleys  this  went  up  over  the  gutter  line  and  blended  into  the  roof  curve,  later  ehicles  it  came  below  the  gutter.

Pete

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
On 17/07/2012 at 14:56, Dave Searle said:

Hi Eric,

Cheers,

Dave

Dave

A rather extended response time, but I can now answer your question. 

Not Wandle, but a GW Models Terrier, Piccadilly, scampering along with the K's 4 wheelers. 

(Please don't start asking difficult questions about why an inner London suburban set has reached the wilds of Sussex with a Terrier in charge). 

Best wishes 

Eric 

• Like 4