Newastle Central Station, bit of a long shot...

johndon

This is very much a long shot...

The picture below is a crop of a photo taken from the Castle Keep towards the east end of Newcastle Central Station. I'm planning on modelling the east end of the station (what were platforms 1-7 before they became a car park) and I'm starting on the drawings for the buildings at the bottom right which have now been demolished.

Newcastlecopy.jpg

I'm estimating dimensions based on counting bricks but the one thing I'm missing is a photo of the wall at the far end of the building which, of course, you can't see in this shot nor can I find a pic showing it at all (I have actually found one but it's very old and the wall is completely in shadow so nothing can be made out). If need be, I'll take a guess and probably just do it as a flat wall but if a photo does exist, it would be extremely useful...

John

• RMweb Premium

Platforms 1,2&3 were the electric lines to the Coast north of the Tyne. To the north of 1 was an unnumbered parcels bay.

Platforms 4-7 served the coast south of the Tyne (South Shields, Sunderland and Middlesborough. The soutrh Shields services were electrified and used the original NER elliptic roof stock. I am not sure how many of platforms 4-7 were electried. These platforms also served steam hauled trains to the Alnwick and stopping trains to Berwick and Edinburgh. Thiis end of the station was a trainspotter's delight with less common locos from Edinburgh and even Sandringhams on running in turns from Darlington.

Platforms 8,9&10 Were the main lines north and south.

11,12,13 &14 seved all trains to the west; Wylam, Hexham, Carlisle and Hawick.

15 and 16 were primarily parcels bays.

ArthurK

Thanks Orion, that is the best pic I've seen so far...

Arthur thanks for that as well, whilst I'd love to do the whole station in P4, I've figured out that I can, just about, fit platforms 1-7 from the overall roof up to the Castle Keep as it was in 1980 just before the introduction of the Metro when all the east end platforms were still in use. Just had a look through your Eastern Region photo thread, some great pics from locations I know very well...

John

• RMweb Premium

These two shots may be of use. I have the date as September 1973. Steam long gone, Dmus replacing the electrics. Note the absense of third rail. Those sets of Slips will be a challenge in P4.

Note the desel shunter lurking behind the DMU on the left. The lines behind the station were goods lines. The was a spur from these into Robert Stephenson's Forth Street works.

post-6751-0-54911600-1345054856_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-00526700-1345054869_thumb.jpg

There is an excellent book published by the North Eastern Railway Association which goes into much more detail than I ever could.

ArthurK

• RMweb Premium

just wondering if the end would be similar to the end of the other little building above it in the pic?

a flat end with a wooden 4-pane-glazed or otherwise '2nd hand' door in the middle, especially as there doesn't seem to be any side access at all

• RMweb Gold

These photos, taken by Dad (for some reason I never took any of this view), are the best I can come up with:

post-5613-0-73752900-1345067886_thumb.jpg

Newcastle Class 143 Sunderland to Newcastle Feb 87 J8765

post-5613-0-38163300-1345067893_thumb.jpg

Newcastle 45121 le and Class 253 ecs to Heaton Feb 87 J8783

post-5613-0-41535800-1345067899_thumb.jpg

Newcastle Class 43 Kings X to Edinburgh Jan 90 J10593

Note: This train actually went from the platform over the High Level bridge, past Gateshead MPD, over the King Edward Bridge and then through the station again (via a different platform) to head north owing to a points failure.

post-5613-0-58872000-1345067902_thumb.jpg

Newcastle Class 101 Sunderland to Newcastle Aug 87 J9152

I hope they are of interest.

David

A few near misses here http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=4005204 ... =newcastle

This site has some images from before the building yo are querying was built http://www.picturesofgateshead.co.uk/po ... index.html and http://www.picturesofgateshead.co.uk/po ... index.html

The building doesn't seem to have been built until the late 1930s at the earliest, judging by one or two of the photos - possibly post war, if the OS maps can be relied upon. If so, it only had a very short life.

Maybe the local Records Office or planning department has a planning application with drawings in their archives?

Platforms 1,2&3 were the electric lines to the Coast north of the Tyne. To the north of 1 was an unnumbered parcels bay.

Platforms 4-7 served the coast south of the Tyne (South Shields, Sunderland and Middlesborough. The soutrh Shields services were electrified and used the original NER elliptic roof stock. I am not sure how many of platforms 4-7 were electried. These platforms also served steam hauled trains to the Alnwick and stopping trains to Berwick and Edinburgh. Thiis end of the station was a trainspotter's delight with less common locos from Edinburgh and even Sandringhams on running in turns from Darlington.

Platforms 8,9&10 Were the main lines north and south.

11,12,13 &14 seved all trains to the west; Wylam, Hexham, Carlisle and Hawick.

15 and 16 were primarily parcels bays.

ArthurK

I used to live in South Shields as a small child, late 70's, early 80's and I remember getting the train into Newcastle from South Shields once or twice but it was a DMU (no idea which!) and I don't remember any overhead wires. Were they removed and if so when? The only overhead electric I remember was the colliery railway in and out of Westoe pit, as we used to live in between the 2 lines there.

thanks

Mike

• RMweb Premium

the electric services were 3rd rail EMUs which ended in mid-60s? - not too sure of the original design, but did end up with new-build 2-EPBs. these had destination blinds and markers lights between the cab windows, but when electric services finshed they were sent to the SR and gained standard 2-position roller blind indicators

original unit heading north out of newcastle: http://www.flickr.co...57626473883362/

2-EPB unit: http://www.flickr.co...57626473883362/

note the 3rd rail on the platform lines to the right

7753100202_7984b8d3a9_b.jpg

60092 FAIRWAY at Newcastle. May,1964 on Flickr by Ron Fisher

notice also how the building in question doesn't have the large windows yet.

going a bit OT, but when was the trackwork leading off to the left changed? in this shot it seems the track is laid on longitudinal sleepers (http://www.flickr.co...57626473883362/ ) with 'holes' in the diamonds, but later on it seems to be conventional sleepers with the 'holes' filled in?

I've just been chatting to my folks. My Mum is from South Shields and my Dad used the trains a lot before he had a car. They both say the trains from South Shields were DMU's not electric. In addition, my Dad used to go to speedway matches in North Shields and he said the line from Newcastle to there was electrified via 3rd rail.

thanks

Mike

• RMweb Premium

I've just been chatting to my folks. My Mum is from South Shields and my Dad used the trains a lot before he had a car. They both say the trains from South Shields were DMU's not electric. In addition, my Dad used to go to speedway matches in North Shields and he said the line from Newcastle to there was electrified via 3rd rail.

thanks

Mike

Yes it was all third rail at 600V. The North Tyneside loop used the newer (late 30s) Metro-Cammel stock. Initially this was painted in red and cream (this was the NER livery for electric stock) but at the outbreak of WW2 they were repainted in blue and cream. Very handsome they were too. The South Tyneside lines to South Shields used tha older NER built elliptic roof matchboard stock. These went through the same livery changes. in the latter years it was not uncommon to see the newer stock south of the Tyne.

Many are the tikes I have travelled od these trains with the sliding doors left open. No automatic closing in those days!

ArthurK

• RMweb Premium

A few more shots taken from the castle keep.

First a view of the west end of the station. Points to note are that the electric third rail over the High Level bridge has gone. No more electrics to South Shields. However the third rails are still there on platforms 1-5. One of the LNER electrics in platform 3 but now in BR green. Diesel hauled train in platform 4. probably with one of the slower services to Berwick and Edinburgh though it could access the High Level bridge and head to the south. Station pilot waits on the right. This used to be the resting point for the J72s. Note the trap point at the left. Unusual with the switches delailing both sides of the running line.

Not a very nice day this one. It usually rained when I took the camera out!

post-6751-0-42149800-1345210596.jpg

Metro-Cammell DMU from South Shields (or Sunderland). Gateshead workshop and shed in the right background now all cleared.

post-6751-0-46650200-1345210600.jpg

This K1 with empties has taken the goods line behind the station and is probably going to drop them at one of the collieries in SE Northumberland. The DMU in the former shot is now in Platform 6.

post-6751-0-92823300-1345210604.jpg

Deltic arrives from Edinburgh, no doubt destined for Kings Cross.

post-6751-0-17746800-1345210609.jpg

ArthurK

Thanks John

I'm just after some pics and track plans for it, partly to see how it changed (We have all sorts of info on South Shields but nothing on the Station!). From a modelling perspective, I'd like to look and consider it's suitability for the basis of a layout.

I'll start a topic on here soon and see if anyone here has more info, I don't want to register on another site purely for one thing! BTW, there is a pic of the station in 1980 on that other site and it's pretty much what I remember from when I was little!

thanks

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Thanks John

I'm just after some pics and track plans for it, partly to see how it changed (We have all sorts of info on South Shields but nothing on the Station!). From a modelling perspective, I'd like to look and consider it's suitability for the basis of a layout.

I'll start a topic on here soon and see if anyone here has more info, I don't want to register on another site purely for one thing! BTW, there is a pic of the station in 1980 on that other site and it's pretty much what I remember from when I was little!

thanks

Mike

This might beof use to you. Taken from the arch bridge just south of the Tyne. It was like this in the sisties. the turntable well was still there, off to the left.

post-6751-0-93007000-1345230260_thumb.jpg

ArthurK

Thanks John

thanks

Mike

Have you tried Tyne and Wear Archives; they've a lot of photographic material which might include something of use.

I was at Shields Tech. from September 1970 to July 1972, and again in 1973, and used the trains to get to the Central when travelling to and from home. As I remember, there were only two tracks, serving the two platform faces. The far platform, over the footbridge, was rarely used IIRC; only in summer if extra trains were bring run to the coast. The roof was of the typical NER overall style. The tracks continued beyond the station, I would guess to serve Redheads and Brigham and Cowan's yards. but as in the photo above seemed to be OOU by that time. I've been in those flats behind a time or two!

Thanks to all who responded, I've managed to find this pic (which came up after a Google search for 'Gateshead railway rather than Newcastle...) which clearly shows the end wall: http://album.atomic-systems.com/showPic.php/46744/47_Ncle_0384.jpg

I've also managed to get a pic from the road that those buildings back on to so I can now crack on with the drawings :)

John

South Shields was almost exclusively class 101 DMUs in the late 60s—early 70s. When the lines to Tynemouth were de-electrified about 1969 other types appeared including 104s and 105s.

From memory the Cravens were on the South Shields and the Met Camm's were on the North Tyne Loop with the window bars for North Shields Tunnell.

Mark Saunders

Archived