Trains in flood

multivac

• RMweb Gold

Looks as though the Geotechnics boys had already done their best on this site - evidence of netting in the spoil. What more can NR do?

Build the inland diversion that the GW started? (although I expect the land has by now been sold off or built on so not as simple as it sounds - but quite a lot of it was going to be in tunnel).

The problem with the line between Exminster and Teignmouth is that it is subject to the vagaries of various sorts of weather plus the effect of geology and it will continue to absorb funds on improvements to its weather resistance for many years to come. Thus I think the only truly satisfactory answer is to build the (slightly) inland route but even if the land is available it will be an enormous investment, albeit with slightly reduced journey times.

• RMweb Gold

The comparable site between Folkestone and Dover - different geology (white not red!), same weakness, same fence alarms etc - is at least rather less important as a rail artery than it used to be prior to CTRL, so closure might be considered there, where the inevitability has been known for decades. There are plenty of reasons why that is not an option here. I wonder which scheme(s) NR would choose/have to slip (sorry) to make funds available?

• RMweb Gold

I better not mention that Rail Replacement buses from Tivvy Parkway to Plymouth are actually faster than the trains then ;)

Yes, I was mildly surprised at how quick the ordinary service bus, calling intermediately, got me from Plymouth to Exeter, back in June. Just shows how much more investment there has been in roads than rail in CK's fair corner of the land in the last 50 years.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I was mildly surprised at how quick the ordinary service bus, calling intermediately, got me from Plymouth to Exeter, back in June. Just shows how much more investment there has been in roads than rail in CK's fair corner of the land in the last 50 years.

Indeed, theres hardly anything in it time wise, especially between Plymouth and Exeter, with the tiny exception of the 80 MPH of Hemerdon bank thats not attainable by up trains anyway, theres nothing over 60 until Powderham just outside Exeter (90 MPH). (Discounting a short, not worth mentioning piece of 70 near the sea wall).

The whole line from Exeter to virtually PZ is like a snake.

Archived