Photo-etched stretcher bars and FPL arrived!

Harry

• RMweb Gold

After visiting Scaleforum a couple of weeks ago I was convinced by Colin Craig that greater attention to detail around the point tibar area was essential. Although I got some great parts from Colin, he didn't produce exactly what I was after so I thought I'd have a go myself.

I designed some Facing Point Lock bars and covers as well as all the bits that go with them so I could reproduce this point (or similar)

post-2155-0-51995000-1350051203_thumb.jpg

The CAD designs were sent off to PPD Ltd who offered an excellent service of advice before etching and speed in delivery (3 days from submitting design to receiving etch!) and the results have arrived today.

I have to say I'm very pleased with them and the etching is clean and crisp and the dimensions look spot on. I have attached a photo but I haven't had a chance to put them onto a turnout yet so will post some more pics when I have.

Not the cheapest way to do it but really chuffed with outcome - let me know what you think!

post-2155-0-89185200-1350051304_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

It cost me £25 for two frets but as it was the first run that included set-up costs as well. I'll email PPD and ask how much subsequent batches would be now that they have plans setup.

Will post back with answer.

• RMweb Gold

How much a sheet?

Isn't it a bit modern for you Mick? It's a great idea and long overdue and the etches look pretty good from the pic above but it is all modern kit - ideal for the diesel age and that type of lock/cover now seems to be pretty universal and has been readily obtainable since the 1980s - and so is not suited to many steam age layouts. Now if the range could be expanded to cover earlier types and include a facing point lock bar I think Harry might be on to a winner.

• RMweb Gold

Would be pretty easy to include that on the etch design. Mike - have you got a photo of what you mean?

I have actually designed them for a steam layout but it's the preserved Swanage line so modern and steam at the same time. The photo I started with was actually from Swanage station (below) with BH rail and the stretchers have been designed to fit in code 75 BH.

post-2155-0-36453500-1350054364.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Isn't it a bit modern for you Mick? It's a great idea and long overdue and the etches look pretty good from the pic above but it is all modern kit - ideal for the diesel age and that type of lock/cover now seems to be pretty universal and has been readily obtainable since the 1980s - and so is not suited to many steam age layouts. Now if the range could be expanded to cover earlier types and include a facing point lock bar I think Harry might be on to a winner.

Ambis engineering do a facing point locking bar, I've filed mine somewhere safe, so I'm unable to take a photo of what you get for your buck.

Cheers SS

• RMweb Gold

Would be pretty easy to include that on the etch design. Mike - have you got a photo of what you mean?

I have actually designed them for a steam layout but it's the preserved Swanage line so modern and steam at the same time. The photo I started with was actually from Swanage station (below) with BH rail and the stretchers have been designed to fit in code 75 BH.

Slightly hectic at the moment Harry but I can dig out some pics (but alas not dimensions) of various other ways of doing but to start with this shows the WR method although not shoeing the lock casting very well

post-6859-0-31660500-1350055812_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-97547800-1350055851_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-57121900-1350055886_thumb.jpg

Ambis engineering do a facing point locking bar,

Hello All,

This was my first attempt at the Ambis version (yes, it does work). Next time I shall get bell crank drive a bit better in line with the centre of the lock. This one is track circuited so no lock bar. I still need to add the detector drive.

Harry, excellent stuff! I can't see how you are insulating your lock stretcher - mine is made from Epoxy glass laminate - a pretty good insulator!

Best Wishes,

Howard

post-11380-0-20929400-1350069800_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...

Archived