Tenshodo Spud EM?

Hi

I was wondering how easy it is to convert a tenshodo spud to EM gauge?

Many Thanks

Jack

Have you considered using a 'Black Beetle' instead, they come (came ?) in a variety of wheelbases and also in EM; I bought one for my NNK 2-EPB.

Brian R

Hi

I was wondering how easy it is to convert a tenshodo spud to EM gauge?

Many Thanks

Jack

Tis really easy. You will need the right size wheel and axle set, that's assuming you aren't just going to push out the existing wheel sets.

Dismantling the spud is as follows, put the blade of a small flat bladed jewellers screwdriver under the tab of on the base plate and lever it gently up, this should release the side tabs and the base plate comes away.

The existing wheelset should be dismantled by pulling one wheel off the axle and drifting the delrin gear off of the axle(s) put the gears in a safe place and the discarded wheels and axles in the spares box for another day, you will amazed that one day they will come in useful.

The new wheelsets should be prepared thus: with the wheels on the axles put the wheels on a strip of wood narrower than the back to back and with fairly coarse needle file run the wheels back and forth until you have roughened the centre of the axle sufficiently to grip the delrin gears earlier removed from the original wheels.

Now is the hard bit, with the wheels out of the spud, splay the pick ups out a little more so they will connect the back of the new wheels, if you intend fitting a decoder to the spud, you will need to cut off the top of the collector where it folds over the edge of the frame to contact the motor terminals.

As the collectors are now only restrained by moulded pips on the side of the spud it worth re-inforcing the mounting by either a spot of super glue, or if you want some thing that's going to last then a square of 20thou black plasticard glued over the mounting pips with a fairly agressive solvent based adhesive will ensure nothing comes adrift.

The last bit involves removing one of the wheels of the EM axle set, if they are insulated only on one side make sure you remove that wheel. You should now be able to gently push the gearwheel onto the axle and once centred on the roughed section, a tiny drop of Loctite 603 or even superglue will secure the gearwheel.

Once the wheels are re-assembled (check the B to Bs with a gauge, it then the reverse of the dismantling process to put it back together, a tiny spot of plastic compatible  oil on the axles and the tiniest smear of a good plastic compatible grease on the gears completes the conversion.

Time to convert the spud. well I've done it quicker tha it took me to type this, but then again my better half decided to drag me out to the shops to get a few things for dinner, so don't read too much int that last statement.

Oh, and if you ever have problems with delrin gears on the spud, Branchlines formerly of Exeter can sell you sets very reasonably.

Cheers

As Wayne says, its really easy. I use wagon wheels (not chocolate!) as you need a wheel that takes a 2mm axle. Gibson or Romford work, but beware of moulding pips on the rear of Gibsons which could interfere with the pick-ups.

Whilst the Spud is dismantled lubricate the motor (they're normally supplied dry...) and spend time running it in without the wheels fitted, which really does improve running.

You can even fit coupling rods if you so desire.

Archived