The Yellow Line on Platforms

Hello everyone,

Have been looking around to find out how far back the yellow line on platforms should be from the edge and can't find a definitive answer. One PDF document said no less than 1000mm and another website said no less that 6ft 6 inches?

Just wondered if anyone knew the correct answer?

Thanks very much, Oli :) 

• RMweb Gold

if its the same as lineside "position of safety" the yellow line would be dependant on the line speed.

100mph or over the safe distance is 6"6' (2m), less than 100mph its 4ft (1.25m) but obviously it all depends on the width of the platforms and any structures on there too, a prime example is acton bridge, where the platform narrows where it goes under the overbridge there is only about 12" between the yellow line and bridge wall

• RMweb Premium

Where trains pass at between 100 and 125mph, the Railway Group Standards specify 1500mm from the platform edge for new work and the same for existing platforms unless this would lead to overcrowding: see document GIRT7016 Iss 4, section 9.2 on this page

Those distances from platform edge would be similar to the running rail distances quoted by Jim. 

6'6" is IIRC the current standard for clearance from the platform edge to any structures or other objects on the platform, replacing the longstanding 6'. 

• RMweb Gold

Btw has anyone proved that keeping outside the Yellow line is actually effective or  conversely what accidents have been caused by people being within the yellow line?

Best, Pete.

Any volunteers for a test? 

Theres a very old joke from the sixties that revolves around standing too near the platform edge - unrepeatable nowadays..................because of the "character" involved, not what happened to him...

Best, Pete.

Jim, Do you have any examples (from company) of people being injured by being pulled into the side of a train if they stand too close? I'm not sure I can think of another eventuality.....

I'm not saying that it's not sensible to stand too close to a platform edge but was there a flurry of accidents when the 125's started?

Best, Pete.

If you want to know exactly how far back it is on an ECML station which sees non-stoppers going through I can pop down with my tape measure in the next couple of days.

Thanks for your offer that is very kind, but don't worry I have taken the measurements given on this forum and already started on painting the lines - thanks again for the offer though, very kind. 

Btw has anyone proved that keeping outside the Yellow line is actually effective or  conversely what accidents have been caused by people being within the yellow line?

Best, Pete.

Well... Standing behind the yellow line here may have helped - (http://www.angelfire.com/hi4/Whitehead/subpages/platcoll.jpg

Oli 

It's a fairly mild and sensible precaution which I remember first appearing when HSTs were introduced. Rather less extreme that the habit they used to (and maybe still do)  have in some countries of not letting passengers onto the platform at all until the train has arrived. The last time I met this was in Sedan about ten years ago while returning from an exhibition. I suspect that the risk from flu was greater than the reduced risk from trains. 

• RMweb Premium

I can imagine standing within the yellow line as an HST passes at full line speed causing the kind of accident requiring a change of underwear...

I started my railway career at Twyford near Reading, out posted in the length gang there in the late 80's before all the very stringent rules came into force that we have nowdays. You could even work inside platforms back then whilst under traffic.

I can tell you that down at track level at 125mph with about 4  feet between you and the nearest rail is huge adrenalin rush that I wont forget in a hurry!

One instance of it that sticks in my mind is back in my contractor days before NR in the late 90's and working inside Alderton tunnel on the main Paddington to Bristol line whilst under traffic. At that time this was perfectly legal as it had its own train operated warning system or TOWS, im not sure if its still used there. Being inside that tunnel standing with your back against a refuge (and about 80 years of dirt!) whilst Valenta powered HST's came through at 125MPH really was some experience! I miss that rush I must admit!

You certainly don't get that in Cornwall.

there was an episode of Mythbusters where they tested this (in the US). not very scientific, but entertaining nonetheless. :)

Yes, they considered that the myth (that you could be pulled into the train as it passed) was busted - but I cannot find the episode on their website...

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

I do seem to recall there was some research (maybe RAIB) that confirmed pushchairs could be blown over by the draft from shipping containers on trains (I think there was something about groups of unloaded wagons between loaded ones could create pressure waves).

My old man has mentioned the rush that Gary mentions as well.

• RMweb Gold

My worst experience trackside was not with higher speed passenger trains but a train loaded of transit vans facing backwards doing about 60mph. I was about 6ft away and got blown off my feet by the turbulence as it passed. As said above, container trains are another source of problems.

• RMweb Premium

My worst experience trackside was not with higher speed passenger trains but a train loaded of transit vans facing backwards doing about 60mph. I was about 6ft away and got blown off my feet by the turbulence as it passed. As said above, container trains are another source of problems.

I agree with that.

Its been many years since I watched one go past, we don't get them in in this part of the country but I do remember that partly loaded container trains at 75 mph could knock you from balance if it caught you unawares!

The turbulence could easily move a push chair or similar I should imagine.

Archived