The Magic of Poland

EddieB

Three shots of working steam in 1994:-

post-13954-0-34361900-1410071052_thumb.jpg

After a clear night, the air was cold on the early morning of 23rd May 1994, giving an impressive exhaust from Ol49-81 working train 4435, the 05:20 Wolsztyn to Poznan Gl.. Here it is seen shortly after leaving Rakoniewice station.

post-13954-0-39087900-1410071184_thumb.jpg

And this one is of the same train about a mile east of Grodzisk with the exhaust trail stretching back to the station there.

post-13954-0-21573500-1410070993_thumb.jpg

Ol49-81 (left) and Ol49-59 are seen on shed at Wolsztyn on the evening of 25th May 1994. Ol49-59 should have worked train 4443, the 16:50 to Poznan Gl., but had failed and was replaced by Ty2-1086 (ex 52 5123).

• 2 months later...

HI, I had a week in Poland at the very end of September and the start of October, mainly travelling on lines I haven't travelled along before and I thought I would post a few pictures. The first photo is one of the steamers at Elk station taken from a passing train so slightly blurred, the second is a photo of a disused line near Salopy Samulewo near Korsze and the third doesn't need much imagination to believe it is a photo from the 1970's of the WCML south of crewe, it is in fact EU07-060 arriving at Rzeszow with the 1545 Przemysyl to Szczecin overnight!

post-6038-0-82465000-1415550305_thumb.jpg

post-6038-0-77789900-1415550325_thumb.jpg

post-6038-0-28384300-1415550364_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I've just finished watching the third installment of Michael Portillo's "Great Continental Railway Journeys" on BBC iPlayer.  Very enjoyable and highly recommended as a good primer on the history of Poland from the break up of the three empires to the present day. MP starts his journey in Warsaw, travels to Lodz, Poznan, Wroclaw and finishes up in Krakow (or Nowa Huta to be precise).

Along the way he "misfires" Ol49-59 on a run out of Wolsztyn and visits the Linke-Hofmann/Pafawag/Bombardier factory in Wroclaw, passing a kriegslok pointing skywards (Ty2 1035,  previously "stored" at Jaworzyna Slaska, now a bit of modernist madness).

• 5 months later...

April marked a full year since I last picked up the shovel or held the regulator, so it was back to Wolsztyn for a long weekend of driving and firing with my usual oppo. The commuter services to/from Poznan are still on hiatus until a deal can be sorted out between the various factions of what is now a very splintered railway/local authority structure, all thanks to rail privatisation (where have we heard that before), however Wolsztyn shed is still supplying steam for a large number of special trains over the course of the year as well as condensed jollies for the enthusiast fraternity.

I was here for the latter, although a long distance (near 400 mile round trip) special beckons for me in July - I can only hope my back will stand up to shifting that much coal.

On the first day we played around with two coaches running Wolsztyn-Rakoniewicz-Wolsztyn-Nowo wies Mochy-Wolsztyn-Stefanowo-Wolsztyn, taking in the three lines to Poznan/Leszno/Zbasynek respectively, all of which radiate from Wolsztyn, We stopped at all stations and the train was open to the public for anyone who wanted to travel, with a Wiekopolska railways guard onboard to sell tickets throughout. The second and third days involved 2 round trips a day to Zbasynek, which includes a stretch on the Berlin-Warsaw main line. Quite a leisurely affair all in with some spirited running at times on what was a glorious weekend in weather term, whilst this brought out the public in ever increasing numbers, it also meant a very hot cab. We were consuming over 3 litres of water each for 6 hours on the footplate.

In less than two decades steam has gone from being commonplace in Poland to something special, and this is very apparent in the attitudes of the locals who seem far more willing to be interested in the steam locomotive than their British counterparts, although not going full term towards being railway enthusiasts.

Breaks at Wolsztyn were punctuated by welcome ice creams, with lunches at the shed via an ersatz BBQ provided by a couple of the retired drivers who are still involved.

OL49-69 lying at rest on the shed coal road, having been bedded down for the night in readiness for her outing the following morning.

post-9382-0-89256300-1430741913_thumb.jpg

Our light load for the three days, one coach being of the open commuter type whilst the rearmost was quite comfortable compartment stock, seen at Nowo Wies Mochy whilst running round.

post-9382-0-63970300-1430741923_thumb.jpg

OL49-69 at Stefanowo having run round and waiting for the road back to Wolsztyn. The polish crew that day were Andrej Macur and Stanislaw Komasa, Andrej is playing to the out of shot gallery (local schoolkids) on the platform in his usual inimitable style.

post-9382-0-65983400-1430741942_thumb.jpg

The old and the new order at Wolsztyn. We'd just stopped for an ice cream break prior to setting off towards Zbasynek with 50 odd passengers on for the ride.

post-9382-0-94753100-1430741933_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

On Friday it was back to Wolsztyn for another weekend with steam, this time for the Blues Express on Saturday/Sunday. This is a special train run in connection with a blues/jazz festival in the village of Zakrezowo, some distance to the North of Poznan. Like most Polish specials, the whole thing has a carnival atmosphere with lots of happy and interested locals greeting the train at each station, invariably with bands playing blues/jazz/American inspired music.

The turn itself involved departing Wolsztyn light engine at 0840 bound for Poznan, where we then watered and picked up our stock. With the train in the old station, the crowds assembled and various bands played on the platforms. After a couple of hours there, we then proceeded to Pila (turning and watering) and thence on to Zakrezowo to drop off the passengers at about 2015 in the evening. From there, we then headed a few more kilometres up the line to Lipka Krajenska where we ran round, watered and stabled for a few hours prior to heading back down to Zakrezowo at 0140 to pick up the rowdy revellers for an 0330 departure back to Poznan. The stock at Lipka at least allowed myself and my oppo the chance to crash out in a compartment undisturbed for a few hours.

With the help of the local police - one of whom showed a surprisingly good aptitude for filling a firebox -  we departed South on time at 0330 with a train full of weary revellers.

We arrived in Poznan a couple of hours late due to service train delays plus the communication cord being pulled a couple of times (a Blues Express tradition), After watering again at Poznan and throwing as much coal forward in the tender as I had the stamina for, we then threaded our weary way back to Wolsztyn, returning the loco to the depot for 1300. I was absolutely shattered after all that  and after a wash and a couple of beers it was time to crash out for a well earned afternoon siesta prior to meeting some of the Polish crews in the pub for a few piwos!

Our steed for the day: Ol49-69, a mixed traffic 2-6-2 of broadly comparable power to a Stanier Five. This was taken at Grodzisk whilst proceeding light engine to Poznan and whilst waiting to cross a service train.

post-9382-0-82075800-1436895810_thumb.jpg

Station stop (90 minutes) in Chodziez for passengers and locals to enjoy a band on the platform as well as a few beers. We'd been having some problems with the firemans side injector picking up and this was traced to some gunk sticking in the line near the clack valve, duly cleared by our Polish driver Andre Macur (one of the real characters of Wolsztyn depot). Yes that is live OHL and the line adjacent was still in use, with staff clearing passengers to the sides to allow passenger trains and freights to pass.

post-9382-0-25344000-1436895823_thumb.jpg

Another one at Chodziez, A scorching hot day which meant temperatures in the fully enclosed cab were at the somewhat warm end of the scale.

post-9382-0-36704900-1436895928_thumb.jpg

Taking water at the semi derelict roundhouse in Pila (out of shot to the right), courtesy of the local fire brigade. Again it' is noticeable just how easy going the Poles are when it comes to access for the public. The partial roundhouse to the left is utilised to overhaul steam locomotives. Indeed Ol49-69 had been overhauled there a couple of years previously.

post-9382-0-72279400-1436896367_thumb.jpg

A scrap firebox used as a template for the construction of an all new box for a loco under overhaul.

post-9382-0-54255800-1436896415_thumb.jpg

A brand new boiler under construction in Pila.

post-9382-0-24935700-1436896435_thumb.jpg

Inside the new boiler with the front tubeplate already in place.

post-9382-0-39632400-1436896475_thumb.jpg

The loco due to receive the new boiler,a 2-6-0 of some kind.

post-9382-0-72599200-1436896488_thumb.jpg

A contrast of old and new - rivets and welding.

post-9382-0-16014600-1436896535_thumb.jpg

New backhead ready for fitting.

post-9382-0-10481000-1436896555_thumb.jpg

Taken on the return journey, not long after dawn on Sunday morning at Budzyn. We were held here for almost 2 hours due to ongoing delays with service trains.

post-9382-0-15475900-1436896638_thumb.jpg

Underway again and on the main line back to Poznan, seen from the firemans side. On the outward leg I fired to Poznan and then drove to Liptka, firing for the return to Poznan and then driving back to Wolsztyn. The trip was about 250 km each way, circa 160 miles and so a round trip of 320 miles with steam.

post-9382-0-50005200-1436896897_thumb.jpg

The good news from Wolsztyn is that an agreement has finally been reached between the various factions regarding the creation of the institute which will operate the shed/locos as well as the steam hauled commuter services for Wiekopolska Railways - these should now restart in January 2016. Therefore, incredibly, it will still be possible to travel on and indeed drive and fire "real" steam hauled passenger trains in the 21st century.

• 5 months later...

Hi guys,

I've been reading this topic through again and prompted by a mate in Poland, have developed a renewed interest in Polish railways!

Can anyone suggest any decent places where I may possibly visit for a trainspotting trip, please?

Either a good base to explore from or just good locations. My mate suggests Katowice, Krakow, Wroclaw, Poznan - any more or will that keep me busy for a week?

Cheers,

John.

PS Any modellers of the Polish scene on here/at all?

• RMweb Premium

Fascinating to see steam locos undergoing "heavy" overhaul on a modern, working railway.

Poland is unique in their 'driver experience' on the real railway set up as far as I know, however the Germans have a really superb set up for their main line heritage steam collection and I'm fairly sure they have a complete works for their fleet. (Might have been them that built Tornado's boiler?)

Phil 

Hi guys,

I've been reading this topic through again and prompted by a mate in Poland, have developed a renewed interest in Polish railways!

Can anyone suggest any decent places where I may possibly visit for a trainspotting trip, please?

Either a good base to explore from or just good locations. My mate suggests Katowice, Krakow, Wroclaw, Poznan - any more or will that keep me busy for a week?

Cheers,

John.

PS Any modellers of the Polish scene on here/at all?

Depends to some extents on your interests, John.

If it's working railways/operations or train watching all of those locations are good bases, and have "cultural" interest as well.  The Bydgoszcz/Inowroclaw-Katowice line sees a lot of freight worked by "double" electrics.

Wolsztyn obviously for live steam (nearby Leszno for diesels), but there are railway museums all over the country - main ones are Warsawa, Sochaczew (ng), Gryfice (ng), Chabowka (some steam trips from here), Elk (sg and ng), Jaworzyna, Koscierczyna, Pyskowice, Rudy (ng). Skierniewice, Wenecja (ng), Zdunska Wola.

Hi John

If you end up in Poznan, and freight is your thing the I would suggest getting out to the outlying stations where there is a better chance as freight tends to divert around the centre via Franowo.  Poznan Staroleka seems a good place to be.

If you are not too fussed then Poznan Glowny will get you plenty of EMUs  (EN57, ED74) and EU / EP07s the odd EP09 and of course the regular Berlin Warszawa express. If you head out to Malta Lake in Poznan (No 17 tram  from by the Theatre (about 10 mins walk from Poznan Glowny)  and get off at  Ronda Srodka) you will also find a little narrow gauge line operating in  spring /  summer

The following places have always intrigued me and were touched on above : Inowroclaw, Jarocin, (must make time to stand and stare at these places) Bydgoszcz (PESA works next to the station)  and Gniezno (Narrow gauge railway near the main station and a bus ride to Znin will find you another narrow gauge line)

And yes I am a modeller of Polish Railways (although the railway is still to get going)

Andy

Hi John,

Wroclaw Glowny is one of my favourite stations with lots of loco hauled and EMUs and perfect lighting for night photographs, even hand held, and nobody has ever bothered me taking photographs even with a tripod (unlike over here). The Ibis styles across the road is highly recommended.  Freight trains are strange as they seem to sit around in sidings a lot but one of the busiest routes I have noticed is the line through Lublin with long coal trains powered by battered old ET41 double units. Kutno is another place that seems quite busy as there is a large Freightliner terminal just to the east and a busy yard to the west.  

Dave

Hi Guys,

Thanks very much indeed for all your positive and very welcome comments, most useful, cheers!

While I do like steam, I'm looking at doing a research trip for a potential current layout really! Not necessarily to find an actual location although that would be great, of course.

My main interest has always been freight but I do like some limited passenger trains too, particularly the cream & green/red coaches and the blue with yellow band, double deckers.

I like the way PKP still seems to run one or two coach trains, sometimes with quite elderly locos too. I've seen on youtube some quite fascinating sand trains but gather they are just in the east of the country. I'm going to have to get a map, I think! I really struggle with any geography apart froom Krakow and Gdansk!!

Thanks again,

John.

PS any layout I do would be in H0!

• RMweb Gold

Poland is unique in their 'driver experience' on the real railway set up as far as I know, however the Germans have a really superb set up for their main line heritage steam collection and I'm fairly sure they have a complete works for their fleet. (Might have been them that built Tornado's boiler?)

Phil 

That's right, it's at Meiningen. I was lucky enough to have a tour in Feb 2015 and indeed a certain steel tube was being built there. An amazing place to visit in this day and age, a real step back in time. Not much CNC stuff, most work is done by craftsmen with micrometers, verniers, jigs etc.

post-6683-0-65068100-1452762837_thumb.jpg

post-6683-0-31319700-1452762849_thumb.jpg

post-6683-0-80674000-1452762856_thumb.jpg

and an example of their work a fabricated cylinder for a Hartz Railway 2-10-2

post-6683-0-60186500-1452762865_thumb.jpg

I had some "quiet time" at work last night so I read this thread from the beginning. The photos are marvellous, and the stories behind them are fascinating. Thanks very much to Eddie and everyone else who has contributed.

Cheers,

Mark.

There are some superb videos of Meiningen on Youtube - mostly in German but very professionally made and well worth a look.  Until the other day I thought the works was only open to visitors on special occasions but, according to their website, individuals can just turn up and have a tour at 10.00 on Saturday mornings.

Ray.

ET41 approaching Lublin on the afternoon of 04-05-15. In my experience the sun never shines in Lublin!

A very atmospheric shot, really captures my experience of railways in the FSU - filthy green twin-unit electrics hauling long strings of welded bogie stock past decrepit industrial premises.

A member of my club speaks at times, about his experiences with Polish steam - very interesting.

Archived